PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need help getting a wireless connection

angel t
April 18th, 2011, 02:06 AM
hey all,

i am new to linux and ubuntu so i need a little help setting up a wireless connection.

here are the problems so far.
i have gone under System> Administration and there is no network option only network tools
i have tried to follow along with some of the other forums and tutorials and they have not been any help at all.
my wired connection works just fine but for some reason i cant connect wirelessly

when i type in lswp this is what i get.... i have no idea what i need to do...

*-network
description: Network controller
product: BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0
resources: irq:17 memory:fe8fc000-fe8fffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:1c:23:82:f7:bd
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=full ip=192.168.0.5 latency=64 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
resources: irq:21 memory:fe5fe000-fe5fffff
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:1c:26:1b:0e:44
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

obviously my wireless interface is disabled but how do i get it enabled and get online wirelessly? any help could be great..
if it helps i have it installed on a dell inspiron 1521 computer that is using vista as its other operating system.. thank you :)

\

Ghostmn
April 18th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Have you checked if you can install a proprietary driver? System>administration>Hardware drivers. or System>preferences>hardware drivers. [Edit] Sorry I haven't used ubuntu in awhile, switched to arch =/ but i'm thinking you need the proprietary broadcom driver.

wolfen69
April 18th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Have you checked if you can install a proprietary driver? System>administration>Hardware drivers. or System>preferences>hardware drivers. [Edit] Sorry I haven't used ubuntu in awhile, switched to arch =/ but i'm thinking you need the proprietary broadcom driver.

In ubuntu 10.10 it is System>Administration>Additional Drivers. You probably need the b43 drivers. After reboot, just click the network icon on your panel and you should see wireless networks.

dineshs
April 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Ensure that the physical wireless switch is ON and enable wireless is ticked when you rightclick network manager icon on top right of the panel.
Remove ethernet cable.(I have read that Network manager gives preference to wired)
Run

sudo rfkill unblock all
rfkill list all

angel t
April 19th, 2011, 11:55 PM
ok so when i logged on this afternoon an update came up that said there were proprietary drivers available and when i went to download/ install this message came up

Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/p/patch/patch_2.6-2ubuntu1_i386.deb 403 Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

and nothing got downloaded.

and dineshs, how do i turn my card on? and when i did that code in terminal this is what came up...

rfkill list all
0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

im sorry this seems to be a pain and im grateful for all you peoples help.

dineshs
April 20th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...untu1_i386.deb 403 Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
try again

how do i turn my card onseems to be OK since it is not blocked.
Please unplug ethernet cable and post the result of
sudo lshw -C networkand
iwconfig

jquis8411
April 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM
It sounds like the repository may have been down, the link works now. It is possible that you need to enable the universe or multiverse (/system/admin/software sources) too. I dont think Dineshs was talking about your wireless card, I think he was referring to a wireless switch on your router. The rfkill list shows that everything is ok on your computer, at least as far as allowing a connection. I would try getting that driver again and try wolfen's directions.

If you are using a laptop you can toggle the wireless on and off, for example on mine it is a combination of fn+f2. Maybe this is what Dineshs meant.

angel t
April 22nd, 2011, 05:09 AM
when i tried to get the driver again it went through and connected automatically. thank you all for your help