PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation and booting help

Hans Gruber
April 17th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hello,
So I have wanted to get Ubuntu on one my computers for a very long time... yesterday I actually decided to do it... So I went through my old computer and backed up all the stuff I wanted to save. I downloaded 10.10 on my laptop to put on a cd as directed this is where I ran into the first problem it wouldn't fit on a cd... so I went to dvd. I am not sure if that was a bad idea or not, but the computer I am installing this on is a desktop and it has 2 dvd drives. The computer is p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }hp pavilion a350n desktop running windows XP.. I think its like 7 years old it has been reliable. My other computer I am using right now is a mac which I won't have much longer which is fine since I really dislike it as a computer...
Anyways though so I made to different 10.10 dvd's and stuck it in to reboot to it. I restarted the computer and pressed esc and it asked if I wanted put from either drive I have tried many times from each drive and it didn't work... I have already wiped my computer clean and so I have tried installing it while windows is running just of the disc. So I enter my name and password in and set it for 15GB installation. It starts but then its gives me an error:

cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
For more information, please see the log file: c:\docume~1\owner\locals~1\temp\wubi-10.10-rev197.log

So I am not sure what I am doing wrong here probably something stupid... wouldn't be surprised by that... but How do I boot to it or install it? should I try downloading an older Ubuntu and upgrading it once it up and running? is using a dvd a bad idea to boot from?

I know both my dvd drives work and unfortunetly I don't have a flash drive right now since my only decent sized one bit the dust... I have an external hard drive, but it has other stuff that has to remain on it.

Thanks guys for the helps and taking the time to read by my stupid questions. :-)
shalom,
Matthias

Hedgehog1
April 17th, 2011, 10:53 PM
this is where I ran into the first problem it wouldn't fit on a cd...

Matthias,

The fact the it will not fit on a CD tells me that you have a bad download/iso image.

You will need to get a clean one - can you download it from the Ubuntu site using bit torrent? That does error checking and will give you a clean ISO.

The Hedge

:KS

Hans Gruber
April 17th, 2011, 10:58 PM
ok thank you I will see if that does the trick.. I just downloaded and installed but torrent.. thanks I will get back to you :-)
shalom,
matthias

Hans Gruber
April 18th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Ok now it fit on the disk and was an actual ISO image instead of files, but one more problem.. it can't find the wubi.exe
do I need to find whatever that is and put that on the disk or make a new disk??

garvinrick4
April 18th, 2011, 03:06 AM
If you stick disk in and open it you will see a WUBI.EXE. If you want to use WUBI click on it and follow instructions.

Hans Gruber
April 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
ok thankyou for some reason on the cd I made it didn't put that on so I just took it off one of the dvd's I made earlier... thanks for the help guys I think it is no installed and for now I have no more stupid questions.... :D

shalom,
matthias

garvinrick4
April 18th, 2011, 03:57 AM
ok thankyou for some reason on the cd I made it didn't put that on so I just took it off one of the dvd's I made earlier... thanks for the help guys I think it is no installed and for now I have no more stupid questions.... :D

shalom,
matthias There are no stupid questions use these Forums to ask to read to post, enjoy your Ubuntu.