PDA

View Full Version : Taken the plunge........

Lowflying
April 17th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hello All

Have finally taken the plunge and ditched Windows after 20 years! Lucid Lynx downloaded and installed. All working fine :D:D

Must say I am VERY impressed and my old slow PC has got a new lease of life now!

LF

rudihawk
April 17th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Hello All

Have finally taken the plunge and ditched Windows after 20 years! Lucid Lynx downloaded and installed. All working fine :D:D

Must say I am VERY impressed and my old slow PC has got a new lease of life now!

LF

Welcome!

Glad to have you with us! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! :o

Blasphemist
April 17th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'll post a hearty welcome!!:D

As you can likely see there are a lot of good people in these forums that can help when you have questions.

Frogs Hair
April 17th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Enjoy !! :)

Lowflying
April 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks! Think I like it here already.

LF

Aquix
April 18th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Welcome, free :popcorn: for you. :P

Phrea
April 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
If you are into IRC at all, check out #ubuntu-beginners on Freenode.net it's a very friendly channel.

LowSky
April 18th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Why did you go with 10.04 and not 10.10? If you don't mind me asking?

Aquix
April 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM

I've seen many places that beginners are referred to LST versions, something I can understand. I run 10.04 but that's because I'm lazy, know what a ppa is, and can't be asked this month.

XubuRoxMySox
April 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Welcome!!

I know you'll be pleased with Lucid, and with this very helpful and friendly community.

LowSky asked:

I think it's a wise choice to choose a long-term-support version for your first forays into Ubuntu Linux. Perhaps you have read that the LTS versions are especially stable, and that they don't have to be re-installed twice a year like the other releases. That's why I use them!

Besides I have older, modest hardware and the LTS releases have been awesome on my old hand-me-down 'puter.

Again, welcome!

-Robin

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
April 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of GNU/Linux and Free Software! Remember, if you're even in doubt as to the name of the operating system you're using, open the terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type

uname -o

And press enter.

Enjoy your stay!