PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No Root File System is Defined

stormedwolf
April 17th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Ok, so I've installed Ubuntu before, but I've never manually partitioned the hard drive. This time, I want to format my entire hard drive as a FAT32 file system.

So, that being said, this is what I do:

When I get to the install screen that says 'Allocate Drive Space' at the top, I click Specify Partitions Manually (Advanced). Then, Once i hit forward, I see a screen with the free space i have on my hard drive (which is all of it at this point) some buttons (Create Partition Table..., Add..., Delete, Change..., and Revert), and a drop down box for selecting the partition in which the boot loader should be installed.

Here's where i have my question. Does some of the hard drive have to be Ext4,3, or 2, or can all of it be a FAT32 file system? Also, every time i format all of the drive as FAT32, what should the mount point be? /, /dos, /windows, or something else. (I currently have Ubuntu installed, so there aren't any FAT32 partitions mounted)

Even if I do format the drive and select either /dos or /windows, i get an error:
No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.

Does this mean that i have to have a Ext4 file system? And where should i install the boot file?

I know this might seem a really stupid beginner question, but I'm really lost, Thanks for any help i can get.

oldos2er
April 18th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Ubuntu can't install on a FAT32 partition, it needs a Linux-native file system such as ext3, ext4, etc. The root file system mount point is /

stormedwolf
April 18th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Thanks, I just fixed this actually.