PDA

View Full Version : X-Forwarding-like capability in Wayland?

pi.boy.travis
April 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I know it's something probably only the geekiest of us use, but will Wayland work over the network? I do quite a bit of 'remote tech support' with:

ssh -X user@host
any & X & app & what & have & you
And I would very much miss this functionality. I find VNC virtually unusable from anywhere outside the local network, ESPECIALLY over SSH, which is really the only truly safe way to do it. I know rootless X sessions can be run as Wayland clients, but that seems like a half-baked solution to me. . .

Does anyone versed in Wayland know anything about using it over the network?

pi.boy.travis
April 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I just realized that the thread title says 'Forwarning' instead of 'Forwarding'. . .

nerdopolis
April 17th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Its not going to be directly supported by the protocol

Its going to require either another app, or a separate version of a Wayland compositor that forwards the windows over the network.

As far as I can tell, it will be possible, but not as native as X

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2010-November/000038.html

pi.boy.travis
April 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Something at the toolkit level would be nice. Like sending a steam of toolkit triggers instead of all the redraw crap X uses. . . Or maybe that's the whole point of Wayland to begin with. . . ? Excuse my ignorance, I'm just a simple Chemical Engineer XD

JDShu
April 18th, 2011, 03:48 AM
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq.html#heading_toc_j_8

I believe the important thing to understand is that Wayland is just a protocol. Anything more than that will hopefully be developed in other open source projects later.

Perfect Storm
April 18th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I just realized that the thread title says 'Forwarning' instead of 'Forwarding'. . .

fixed.

pi.boy.travis
April 18th, 2011, 04:36 AM
fixed.

Thank you kind sir!

3rdalbum
April 18th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I thought you'd be able to run a nested X on the local and remote machines for the purposes of doing the forwarding?

Lucradia
April 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I thought you'd be able to run a nested X on the local and remote machines for the purposes of doing the forwarding?

What if you're using Windows and need to connect to your X? :V

3Miro
April 18th, 2011, 03:25 PM
From what I understand Xorg will be able to run on top of Wayland, which will give you all the current features plus more.

Lucradia
April 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
From what I understand Xorg will be able to run on top of Wayland, which will give you all the current features plus more.

Don't you mean side by side? |3

pi.boy.travis
April 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Don't you mean side by side? |3

No, actually, I think X would run as a Wayland client. . .

aguafina
April 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
No, actually, I think X would run as a Wayland client. . .

But what would the point be of running two windowing systems?

3Miro
April 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
But what would the point be of running two windowing systems?

Backward compatibility. In this scheme, Wayland will be able to run everything from the old Xorg and we can make a gradual shift.

Plus Wayland + Xorg will have better composition support.