PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No other Ubuntu edition except Ubuntu 10.04 is working in my toshiba L650D Laptop

ashickur.noor
April 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
No other Ubuntu edition except Ubuntu 10.04 is working in my toshiba L650D Laptop.

I have tried all Ubuntu edition started from 9.10 to 11.04 beta 2. Only Ubuntu 10.04 works.

Problem is when I start a fresh Installation or Installation via live cd it shows me what will I choose, either Live or install it. What ever I choose it does not start. Just a black screen.

Here is the output of dmidecode from Lucid

sammiev
April 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Could be a bad download. Running Toshiba L650 here and used 10:10 and 11:04.

ashickur.noor
April 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Could be a bad download. Running Toshiba L650 here and used 10:10 and 11:04.

It's not possible. Coz I have successfully install 11.04 in my desktop from this iso.

JRV
April 17th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Try the alternate install CD and see what happens.
This usually solves most install problems that I have seen.

Bucky Ball
April 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I would stick with 10.04 LTS personally. Most stable release and long term support (2013). 11.04 is not released yet so there will be issues along the way. 10.10 and 11.04 are both 'rolling releases'. LTS releases always most stable. ;)

ashickur.noor
April 17th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I have tried it also, but no luck.

ashickur.noor
April 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I have tried it also, but no luck.

sammiev
April 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM
When ever I install, do not select updates on installation. Have you tried that yet? Then update after installation. GL :)

ashickur.noor
April 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM
When ever I install, do not select updates on installation. Have you tried that yet? Then update after installation. GL :)
I have failed several time to install Ubuntu 11.04 and 10.10. Then how can I think about update?

sammiev
April 17th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I have failed several time to install Ubuntu 11.04 and 10.10. Then how can I think about update?

If your on line when installing, it will try to update. You can check mark or unchecked mark the box. Just make sure no Internet is available. GL :)

ashickur.noor
April 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
If your on line when installing, it will try to update. You can check mark or unchecked mark the box. Just make sure no Internet is available. GL :)
I can not even start installing. Just a menu show what will i do Live booting or fresh installing. After choosing any one it is just black screen nothing else.

sammiev
April 17th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I can not even start installing. Just a menu show what will i do Live booting or fresh installing. After choosing any one it is just black screen nothing else.

You have me there then. I only ran into that problem well installing. Sorry, wish I could have been more help.

lidex
April 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM
If windows is on there, I have seen recommends to wipe the drive completely (including windows) before installing.

It appears that Linux can only be installed on this laptop by first deleting the Windows partition, so you will need to have a normal installation CD for Windows (not the crappy system recovery disks from the Toshiba laptop) if you plan on installing a dual boot system with this laptop.

Bucky Ball
April 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Did you miss my post? Why exactly do you want to update to an unreleased 'rolling release' when the LTS is working fine on your system? Do you have a reason? Latest, trust me, is not always the greatest.

Then again, if you are looking to experience a severe Linux learning curve, go for it. Why not install the nightly release if you want the latest. If you just want to use your computer stick with 10.04 LTS. ;)

Good luck whatever you go with.

(ps: 10.04 is fine for dual-booting with Windows, no drive wipe required.)

ashickur.noor
April 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Did you miss my post? Why exactly do you want to update to an unreleased 'rolling release' when the LTS is working fine on your system? Do you have a reason? Latest, trust me, is not always the greatest.

Then again, if you are looking to experience a severe Linux learning curve, go for it. Why not install the nightly release if you want the latest. If you just want to use your computer stick with 10.04 LTS. ;)

Good luck whatever you go with.

(ps: 10.04 is fine for dual-booting with Windows, no drive wipe required.)
I personally love 10.04 for many reason and I will use it untill 12.04 come. I always recomanded 10.04 to all. But I am very much excited about two new desktop environment of Linux Desktop. Gnome 3 and Unity. It is not possible to use these two in Lucid. So I want to install 11.04. Nothing more nothing less.

Bucky Ball
April 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks. If you have the space on your hard drive I would leave 10.04 as a fall back in case anything goes wrong and dual/triple boot with 10.10 or 11.04 or both! Have fun. ;)

ashickur.noor
April 18th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks. If you have the space on your hard drive I would leave 10.04 as a fall back in case anything goes wrong and dual/triple boot with 10.10 or 11.04 or both! Have fun. ;)
But what should I do? What will be about my laptop?