PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to create commands for Menu Editor

Nityanandi
April 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Now and then i want to add a command for installed application that hasn't put an icon in the Main Menu. What is missing, that i do not know how to research, are the mysterious pieces of code following the application name in the Command line of the dialog box for making a new Menu entry, invariably including the % sign and letters for options. If i simply write the name, e.g. mc or aiksaurus (magnificent thesaurus), the new entry doesn't work, although it might work through the terminal or Alt+F2.

Needless to say, i will be VERY grateful. I am otherwise installing applications that cannot be used. I love this community and the vision...the love that will replace money and transform this world.

Tamlynmac
April 17th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Assuming your using 10.10 or below.
1. Right click on you menu and select "edit menu"
2. When the edit menu screen opens on the left side, select the sub-menu (left click one time) you wish to add the app to.
3. On the top right side of the window left click on the "new item button". A new "create launcher" window will open.
4. In the create launcher window:
a. Type: Application
b. Name: Your choice as related to the app.
c. Command: Left click on Browse and it will open a file manger, in the file manager go to "file system/usr/bin or sometimes it's located in sbin)/find the executable for the app. and
double click on it".
d. This will automatically insert the command in the command window.
e. Comments: Unnecessary
f. Click on the icon in the left corner of the create launcher
window and select an icon, if the icon isn't there of if you wish
to change it.
g. Left click on OK at the bottom of the create launcher window.
5. On the right side of the edit menu window your app should
appear. Make sure there's a check mark in the box to the left of
you app launcher and close the edit menu window.

Now left click on your app in your menu and it should start your app. Most all executables are located in one of the two folders listed above in 4C.

Good Luck & hope this helps.