PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Does anyone else lose time on their clock??

Amused2Death
April 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM
It's not that important, but my Ubuntu 10.10 desktop loses time over several days. This time around it lost 25 minutes over 40 hours.
Its not the pc as it dual boots with ******* xp and it doesn't lose any time.

Just curious if it happens to anyone else??

K_45
April 17th, 2011, 07:46 AM
You may need to replace the CMOS battery - are you sure windows isn't losing time?

GregBrannon
April 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Agree that your computer's clock may be losing time when it is shut down, so you should check the CMOS battery. The next symptom will be that your startup settings stored in BIOS may have to be reset if any are other than the default.

XP is probably configured to sync time with one of the internet time sources but you have not configured Ubuntu to do the same thing.

Amused2Death
April 17th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Ok i should have stated that it only happens when the computer is left on for extended periods.

Last time it lost 25 minutes over 40 hours of being on.
If i turn it off and restart all is good.

Its just a curiosity at the moment as i dont rely on it.

thecamelcoder
April 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hey there, the reason that you will be seeing this under ubuntu and not windows is that windows has a regular time sync service. If its enabled that is.

Linux has the same functionalituy but it needs to be set up. Its called ntpd - Network Time Protocol Daemon and can be installed by

sudo apt-get install ntp

This should keep your time in line, but I agree with the others that the root cause is no doubt your CMOS battery.

Thanks
http://www.linux-geek.co.nz
):P

Amused2Death
April 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Installed, and thanks