PDA

View Full Version : What we need is Ubuntu Visual Tutorials for What's New

slooksterpsv
April 17th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I'm just wondering what others think of this. With the recent changes to Ubuntu, what if someone made like a Ubuntu Visual Tour or Visual Tutorial. Where you double click on it, and it either walks you through in an automatically pausing video, or sees what options you choose and continues along.

E.g. If you're new to Ubuntu, you can find all of your applications in the applications menu. Hover down in the bottom left and click on the button that says Applications.

Good. Now let's open up your Web Browser, by default this is Firefox. (You click on the Unity launcher for Firefox or find it in Applications).

Good job. Now let's try pinning an application. First click on the Applications menu (it waits), now select Rhythmbox, (it waits), now right-click and choose keep in launcher (it waits), good.

Good. If you'd like to see another tutorial, choose one below.

[Adding your music]
[Finding your files]
[Installing Applications and Flash]
[Changing your settings]

Etc. I think that would help a lot of new users, as well as help people that wonder what's new or what's changed.

E.g.

[NEW! Ubuntu Control Center]

Just make things easier on others, that's all I thought. Go ahead, I'm guessing people will flame me now.

Thewhistlingwind
April 17th, 2011, 05:42 AM
*Starts furiously googling for books on C*

Okay, but seriously, it's a good idea, however I think it might be a bit "Condescending" to users if we treat them like idiots. So it'd be a real chore to do the balancing act between "Helpful" and "Unnecessarily paternalistic."

James7
April 17th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I think this is a great idea. I've been with Ubuntu since Feisty Fawn. I'd like some videos or something. I now use Ubuntu Studio, which, I gather, means I'll not see Unity until at least 11.10. But transitional information would be most welcome. Actually, I think that sort of thing must be in the works.

slooksterpsv
April 17th, 2011, 07:28 AM
*Starts furiously googling for books on C*

Okay, but seriously, it's a good idea, however I think it might be a bit "Condescending" to users if we treat them like idiots. So it'd be a real chore to do the balancing act between "Helpful" and "Unnecessarily paternalistic."

Ok so the Good and Good Job, maybe not. But still, I mean if you were to install this on lets say your grandmas computer, and had to leave all the sudden, they won't touch it until you get back. Unless you tell them, hey check out the tutorials on the desktop, they'll show you how to get started.

People are paying lots of money just to learn basics of Office, Windows, Mac, etc. on DVD or online like Lynda.com (for professional tutorials I should say). So why don't we as an open source community take it one step further for the end-user.

The reason I brought this up in the first place is cause I know how to click, click click and make things work. My friends, see my OS and are like, how did you do that, when it was a simple install, click this, click that, you're done. Or I say look how cool this is and they're like, how do I get that.

Simple for a newbie, yes; not-condescending to where even Advanced Gurus will enjoy it, yes; free, yes yes yes. Integrated with Ubuntu - hmmm... separate dvd (if it takes up a lot of space), or download link on the desktop, or a couple with more available to download. First couple being like how to connect to your wireless network.

peter.chris
April 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Hey! i really think this is a splendid idea. I posted a few days ago on ombubuntu,

"Hi everybody! With natty's release approaching, i just thought it would be a cool idea to make a short intro video for the 11.04 unity desktop.

More like, a 1 minute video/animation, that introduces, even a novice, to the key features on how to use the OS. It might help smoothen the transition for existing gnome 2 users as well. A well made video can be of help to most users... i'm sure i'd want to show it to my parents after i install the OS.

For instance - mentioning about the global menu would help a regular windows user to know the how the basic structure of the OS works immediately, without any experimenting"

Anybody up for a challenge? i can work on the audio part! :)