PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Add existing user to gdm

Fuji_in_Japan
April 17th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Hello,

I recently switched to Ubuntu 10.10 x 64 from Mandriva. I have four existing accounts from the Mandriva days and want to be able to use those accounts.

So problem one with the migration:

Only the new david account shows up in the gdm manager. I wan to use the old dave as my primary account. FYI I can log onto dave and am using KDE for that account. That seems to be working fine.

How do I list the dave account in gdm so when I turn on the PC I have the choice of the two accounts?

Thanks,
Dave

zvacet
April 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
You can do that from system>administration>users & groups>edit account and add it to gdm.Second way is from CLI following this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AddUsersHowto) guide.

Fuji_in_Japan
April 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM
zvacet,

Thank you for your reply. I think I need to explain my problem more fully. When I installed Ubuntu 10.10 I kept my old /home directory that was on a separate partition. I had three user accounts already created and well used. When I installed the new OS i created a david account. the dave account UID 500 was my old Mandriva account. I can log onto this account, but it does not appear on the gdm page. I have to go to other, type in dave and then log on.

I would like for the dave account to appear as a choice I can click.

When I try to add the dave account, by the method you suggested I get that that account already exists. So I am unable to get it into the gdm.

Dave