PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add wallpaper/backgrounds

claven123
April 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM
This might seem like a simple question, but how do I add wallpaper/backgrounds to ubuntu 10.10? I see the add button which takes me to the pictures folder. Do I just copy the image to this folder and that is it? What format does the image have to be in?

Thanks,

Dennis

Frogs Hair
April 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I keep a downloaded wallpaper folder in pictures and double click the background I want to use and right click the image to set as desktop background . I am the only user , so this works for me.

There are some wallpaper packages in the Synaptic Package Manager that when installed will be available for all users.

Copper Bezel
April 16th, 2011, 07:52 PM
You can also just drag and drop images into the Appearance Preferences window.

claven123
April 16th, 2011, 09:21 PM
You can also just drag and drop images into the Appearance Preferences window.

This didn't work? I'm the only user also, still access i denied from the backgrounds folder...

I can go get images to change it, I just want to save them so I can use them again.

D

Copper Bezel
April 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
It didn't work when you did this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/Screenshots/backdrop-thumb.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17749392/Screenshots/backdrop.png)

On the left is my Backdrops folder under Pictures. I'm dragging an image into the Background tab of the Appearance Preferences window.

It shouldn't matter how many user accounts you have. The link that's created to your backdrop image only affects the current user account. You don't need to edit the system default backdrops folder.

Ignore the fact that my Nautilus looks weird. = )

Larkspur
April 17th, 2011, 12:29 AM
This didn't work? I'm the only user also, still access i denied from the backgrounds folder...

I can go get images to change it, I just want to save them so I can use them again.

D

Do you mean that you add the backgrounds to Appearance but they disappear later on?

claven123
April 17th, 2011, 04:48 AM
No, I was going to the "Get more backgrounds online" page at gnome.... I was looking at them and then I could use them, etc...

I was trying to drag and drop from the web page, that was the part that wasn't working.

However, after the last posts I figured out that I had to save them to a background folder in the pictures folder. I could then use them and keep them on the hard drive. I was also able to follow the directions that copper gave. That worked fine. Drag and drop from the folder not the web page.

Thanks a lot for the help!

I guess it wasn't very clear to me originally.

Copper Bezel
April 17th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Ah, I see! I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Yeah, dragging and dropping only creates a link to the file - it needs to be stored somewhere on your HD.

I'm glad we got this worked out for you. = )

claven123
April 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
BTW, I decided to use cortina as my slide show and I create the folder it uses. Neat application, simple and it works. I just need to figure out how to update it??

D