PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation on a limited connectivity PC (very limited)

binary blob
April 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I have a PC which has:

# No CD-ROM
# No ethernet
# No modem
# No floppy
# No Wifi
# No USB
# HAS hard disk

How would I install Ubuntu on this machine? There is zero chance of internet connecting to it.

Thanks

Dutch70
April 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Hi and welcome to UF

The only way I can think of would be to put the hdd into another machine, install Ubuntu, then put it back. You have to have some way to get Ubuntu to the hard disk, and it doesn't sound like that computer has it.

Do you mean it doesn't have usb ports or that they're not bootable?

dino99
April 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
the only solution i see is: take your hdd to plug it into an other pc which have either usb/cdrom/ethernet

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

binary blob
April 16th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hi and welcome to UF

The only way I can think of would be to put the hdd into another machine, install Ubuntu, then put it back. You have to have some way to get Ubuntu to the hard disk, and it doesn't sound like that computer has it.

Do you mean it doesn't have usb ports or that they're not bootable?

the only solution i see is: take your hdd to plug it into an other pc which have either usb/cdrom/ethernet

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

It has no USB ports.

Surely if I put it in another PC and install Ubuntu (not a problem) then the install would have all the drivers etc for the PC on which I did the install, no? This is what happens when you do that on Win :?

Dutch70
April 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Not if you don't install any proprietary drivers. You may not need any.

Hedgehog1
April 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Surely if I put it in another PC and install Ubuntu (not a problem) then the install would have all the drivers etc for the PC on which I did the install, no? This is what happens when you do that on Win :?

Linux is a very different animal from Windows. If you don't load any specific video driver, the drive can indeed be moved from machine to machine and work just fine.

Welcome to Linux!

The Hedge

:KS

p.s. I have a complete Ubuntu install on a USB Stick. I can boot up on it from any PC at home or at work. Intel/AMD, various video cards; as long as I use the generic video & audio drivers it works (and I get music and 3d effects on most of those machines without any setup!)