PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome main menu customisation

aMovieMan
April 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I can mess around with what comes up on each of my menus (Apps-Places-System) with the Main Menu tool, except for removing entire menus (namely the System menu).
Could someone explain how this is done?
Thanks in advance.

hariks0
April 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I do not think it is possible. Try the 'Main menu' applet for gnome panel.

promet
April 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I think that you actually can do that. If you look in the "Main Menu Tool" it's, basically, a "Tree" view. So, you can mess around with apps inside the major categories. If you want to change the visibility of the categories themselves though, scroll up to the "root" entry, which is "Applications" at the top of the left hand navigation screen. Then, in the right, you'll see the major categories themselves and be able to mess around with those. Check it out...

aMovieMan
April 16th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Applications is not the root of the tree - that's the issue, there's no 'main menu' root, there are just three, one for each menu.

hariks0
April 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Check removing the folders listed in Places Menu. It may be done from Nautilus...

Krytarik
April 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Check removing the folders listed in Places Menu. It may be done from Nautilus...
Just to make sure that the OP doesn't screw up his/her entire profile: Don't do that!!
Besides that it doesn't make sense anyway, regarding the original intention.

Greetings.

hariks0
April 18th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Just to make sure that the OP doesn't screw up his/her entire profile: Don't do that!!
Besides that it doesn't make sense anyway, regarding the original intention.

Greetings.

You are right. I intended no harm though. I always experiment any such changes in a Virtual box installation of the OS first ;)

dniMretsaM
April 18th, 2011, 11:00 PM
By System menu do you mean the menu in the top panel next to Places and Applications? If so, right click it and click Remove From Panel.

Krytarik
April 19th, 2011, 12:07 AM
By System menu do you mean the menu in the top panel next to Places and Applications? If so, right click it and click Remove From Panel.
That would remove the other menus as well.

hariks0
April 19th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Uncheck the Preferences and Administration Branches from the Menu Editor. It will remove at least these entries from the System menu bar. Remove the Menu Bar Applet and use the Main menu applet now.

It will be the closest you can get.

dniMretsaM
April 19th, 2011, 12:42 AM
That would remove the other menus as well.

Oh, my bad. I wish all the icons were there own entity. It's been an annoyance to me in the past...