PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 upgrade

tomski
April 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Hi
I am currently running 10.10 Merekat
as 11.04 will use the horrid unity enviroment i am looking into ways to have the next version work how iI want not how cannonical want therefore i ask the following

What is the best way to 'migrate' to 11.04 xubuntu from 10.10 ubuntu?

Is it just a case of re-pointing the repo's towards xubuntu.org & then removing Gnome?

I know this is probably an odd question but i seriously cannot live with unity as my desktop & just do not want it installed even if i wont use it!

If this change is too big then i may move away from ubuntu altogether but as i have used it since warty warthog i am obviously reluctant

KegHead
April 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi!

I would go with a fresh install.

You can switch to classic in 11.04.

BTW-I love Xubuntu!

KegHead

Dutch70
April 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM
+1 on the fresh install.

To reiterate what Keghead said. You don't have to use Unity with 11.04. You can choose Ubuntu Classic at the login screen. It's a very nice option to have. :)

ps. Unity has came a long way in the last week or so. Hopefully it will get much better before 11.10,
because there will be no Ubuntu Classic in 11.10.

Hedgehog1
April 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hi
I am currently running 10.10 Merekat
as 11.04 will use the horrid unity enviroment i am looking into ways to have the next version work how iI want not how cannonical want therefore i ask the following
I know this is probably an odd question but i seriously cannot live with unity as my desktop & just do not want it installed even if i wont use it!

Reality Check! Here is Ubuntu classic from yesterdays 'Natty' build:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5076/screenshot11kc.png

If I had not set the background to a natty one - you would not even know you are running natty!

Before you judge Unity: GEAHS and Unity (Don't let this be you!) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1730255)

+1 for a clean install. I just reinstalled Natty on a test partition this morning and was VERY please by how well it works (and how it did the proper 'full screen' graphics over HDMI for my nVidia Card even during the 'TRY' session; 10.10 never did that right!)

The Hedge

:KS

KegHead
April 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hi!

I'm running;

11.04b2/classic/2.6.39-999

Runs perfectly!

Kubuntu is my backup distro!

KegHead

tomski
April 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hi!

I would go with a fresh install.

You can switch to classic in 11.04.

BTW-I love Xubuntu!

KegHead

yea was thinking that, have made so many changes to my current system though but thanks for the input.

+1 on the fresh install.

To reiterate what Keghead said. You don't have to use Unity with 11.04. You can choose Ubuntu Classic at the login screen. It's a very nice option to have. :)

ps. Unity has came a long way in the last week or so. Hopefully it will get much better before 11.10,
because there will be no Ubuntu Classic in 11.10.

Have used ubuntu netbook remix for the past few months & after using unity i dont like the idea of it

If I had not set the background to a natty one - you would not even know you are running natty!

Before you judge Unity: GEAHS and Unity (Don't let this be you!) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1730255)

+1 for a clean install. I just reinstalled Natty on a test partition this morning and was VERY please by how well it works (and how it did the proper 'full screen' graphics over HDMI for my nVidia Card even during the 'TRY' session; 10.10 never did that right!)

The Hedge

As i mention above i am basing my opinion on prior usage within netbook remix & YES i know that version is stripped down BUT i dont like the look & feel of the unity interface.

Yes there is the 'Classic' option & i know there is the no effects version of classic BUT these are all ok so long as we get items which WORK with Gnome 2.38 i say this because i have been reading gnome blog & noted their progress & current path choice.
This leads me to say "How long will all ubuntu/canonical app's intergrate well with Gnome 2.38 if ubuntu is now focused on unity?"

that is what sit's in my head coz i can carry on using Gnome 2.38 but i will face issue's this time next year when things begin to break & then i'll be getting forum respones like:
"Why are you using Gnome 2.38 when we all use Gnome 3?"
"surely you knew this would happen when delevlopment for Gnome 2.38 was stopped!"

So i have decided to search for a WM/DE which works the way I want

Hi!

I'm running;

11.04b2/classic/2.6.39-999

Runs perfectly!

Kubuntu is my backup distro!

KegHead

But how long will it run perfectly for considering canonical & gnome are walking away from it?

Unity to me after using it is like a coders desire to get to where Apple Mac is at & TBH i do not like it, I have used the netbook remix version for 6 month & yes it maybe a change to some but to me it looks like a shite attempt to be different which some how just looks like a clone of mac os DE.
Sorry if you dont like it
I have used unity & tried to like it
I DONT

To me it is not moving forward, It is following Apple!

Now back to my original question, aside from a fresh install how would i migrate from my current ubuntu-desktop to xubuntu?
Can i just change repo's & upgrade to get the new versions?

Dutch70
April 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
One way is to install xubuntu-desktop using synaptic, or...

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
Then remove the Ubuntu desktop. This applies only to Maverick Meerkat.

sudo apt-get remove adium-theme-ubuntu alacarte at-spi baobab binfmt-support bluez-gstreamer bogofilter bogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common branding-ubuntu brasero brasero-cdrkit brasero-common capplets-data checkbox checkbox-gtk cli-common compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins compizconfig-backend-gconf computer-janitor computer-janitor-gtk couchdb-bin desktopcouch dvd+rw-tools empathy empathy-common eog erlang-base erlang-crypto erlang-inets erlang-mnesia erlang-public-key erlang-runtime-tools erlang-ssl erlang-syntax-tools erlang-xmerl evolution evolution-common evolution-couchdb evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-exchange evolution-indicator evolution-plugins evolution-webcal example-content exiv2 gbrainy gconf-defaults-service gconf-editor gdm-guest-session gedit gedit-common gnome-about gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-bluetooth gnome-control-center gnome-dictionary gnome-disk-utility gnome-mag gnome-media gnome-media-common gnome-nettool gnome-orca gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-power-manager gnome-screensaver gnome-screenshot gnome-search-tool gnome-session gnome-session-canberra gnome-session-common gnome-system-log gnome-system-monitor gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes-selected gnome-themes-ubuntu gnome-utils gnome-utils-common gstreamer0.10-gnonlin gwibber gwibber-service indicator-applet indicator-applet-session indicator-me indicator-messages indicator-session indicator-sound libappindicator0.1-cil libart2.0-cil libbrasero-media1 libcamel1.2-14 libcanberra-pulse libcompizconfig0 libcouchdb-glib-1.0-2 libcryptui0 libcurl3 libdconf0 libdecoration0 libdesktopcouch-glib-1.0-2 libdmapsharing2 libebackend1.2-0 libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-7 libedataserver1.2-13 libedataserverui1.2-8 libegroupwise1.2-13 libevolution libexempi3 libexiv2-6 libfolks-telepathy0 libfolks0 libgail-common libgail-gnome-module libgconf2.0-cil libgdata-common libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libgdata7 libgdict-1.0-6 libgdu-gtk0 libgee2 libgexiv2-0 libglade2.0-cil libgladeui-1-9 libglib2.0-cil libglib2.0-data libgmime-2.4-2 libgmime2.4-cil libgnome-mag2 libgnome-media0 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2.24-cil libgnomepanel2.24-cil libgoocanvas-common libgoocanvas3 libgpgme11 libgpod-common libgpod4 libgraphite3 libgsl0ldbl libgtk2.0-cil libgtkhtml-editor-common libgtkhtml-editor0 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common libgweather-common libgweather1 libgwibber0 libhyphen0 libical0 libido-0.1-0 liblaunchpad-integration1.0-cil liblircclient0 liblouis-data liblouis2 libmetacity-private0 libmission-control-plugins0 libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil libmono-management2.0-cil libmono-posix2.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libmtp8 libmusicbrainz4c2a libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libneon27-gnutls libprotobuf6 libprotoc6 libpth20 libraptor1 librasqal2 librdf0 libsctp1 libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio libstlport4.6ldbl libsyncdaemon-1.0-1 libtelepathy-farsight0 libtelepathy-logger1 libtotem-plparser17 libubuntuone-1.0-1 libvala-0.10-0 libwmf0.2-7-gtk light-themes lksctp-tools media-player-info metacity metacity-common mono-2.0-gac mono-csharp-shell mono-gac mono-gmcs mono-runtime mousetweaks nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-sendto-empathy nautilus-share obexd-client openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-emailmerge openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-help-en-us openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-galaxy openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-writer pitivi plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo protobuf-compiler pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf python-argparse python-avahi python-brlapi python-configglue python-couchdb python-crypto python-desktopcouch-records python-egenix-mxdatetime python-egenix-mxtools python-farsight python-gnomeapplet python-gtksourceview2 python-gtkspell python-indicate python-libproxy python-louis python-mako python-markupsafe python-papyon python-protobuf python-pyatspi python-pycurl python-pygoocanvas python-pyinotify python-rdflib python-speechd python-telepathy python-twisted-names python-ubuntuone python-ubuntuone-client python-ubuntuone-storageprotocol python-uno python-wnck rdesktop rhythmbox rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugins rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store screen-resolution-extra seahorse shotwell ssh-askpass-gnome telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble telepathy-haze telepathy-idle telepathy-logger telepathy-mission-control-5 telepathy-salut tomboy totem totem-common totem-mozilla totem-plugins tsclient ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-mono ubuntu-sounds ubuntu-system-service ubuntu-wallpapers ubuntuone-client ubuntuone-client-gnome uno-libs3 ure vino whois wodim xfonts-mathml && sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce) is the link.
Check this out thoroughly, don't put all your trust in me. :)

tomski
April 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM

The Hedge

Reality Check
this is only available until 11.10 then what will i do?

KegHead
April 30th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Hi!

classic is the way to go!

KegHead

tomski
April 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hi!

classic is the way to go!

KegHead

so really your suggesting i 'postpone' the issue & decide later because once 11.10 arrive classic mode is no more
poof
gone

i'm trying xubuntu 11.04 for time being but allready face major issue's nvidia etc, even the upgrade removed cairo & awn and a whole bunch of other app's i was using

so part of me is thinking:
why should i have to yet again fix thing which were broken with an upgrade!
If cannonical are going to force a change on me i will carry out that change & make a full change & go to a distro that suits my needs as it appears ubuntu no longer fits!

I dont want a netbook!

unity will never be part of my workstation install as that is my choice, why because it is (as they say officially) designed for netbooks & touch screen's which in their informed assumption will be the leading market product.

If i decide to get a touch screen replacement for my desktop it will run android as i have already fallen in love with it on my Dhd & what i have seen of tablets android again will be my choice

unity DE has no place on any computer i own as i have already resolved my netbook/tablet/touch screen paradigm

tomski
April 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
last channce ubuntu

i upgraded to 11.04 xubuntu
it failed & i just got 2 black monitors at grub
rebooted
saw grub spalsh then it just stayed at that
fresh install of xbuntu 11.04 in progress now
if this fails im gone

tomski
May 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
screw you canonical!

decided to stick with 11.04 Xubuntu

bababooey
May 11th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I just did a successfull upgrade from lucid desktop 11.04.2 to 10.10 then 11.4 Natty and it went smooth. No problems. I had xfce, gnome, and kde all on my desktop, and everything updated fine. It takes quite a bit of time to upgrade to each distro but so far its been running pretty good.

sfyoung
May 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
It's alarming that the Classic desktop will not be available in 11.10. I wanted to give Unity a chance when I upgraded to 11.04, but it did not work on my netbook. I tried to go through the introductory stuff on how to use Unity, but the instructions for getting started with the most basic functions (Applications, Places, System, and even On/Off) made it clear that I didn't get the whole Unity installation. I had to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to dump out of X to the command prompt and shutdown from there. I had to boot to Windows to get information on how to run 11.04 in the Classic mode. It isn't just that I prefer Classic, Unity did not work on my Acer Netbook.