PDA

View Full Version : Meta Data Library

moberry
May 9th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Hi I am working on a for-fun project that involves me needing to read meta-data from audio files. I found a library called tunepimp which does this. However, tunepimp looks to be overkill for what I need to do. Does anyone know what library to use to go about reading meta data from multiple audio formats? I suppose i could use the standard vorbis, and mpeg libraries to do this, but I was hoping there was a multi-purpose library for doing this. Thanks in advance.

-jordan

LordHunter317
May 10th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I think tunepimp may be your best bet. Tag reading for say, MP3 is incredibly and stupidly difficult. I'm not even sure anyone truly gets it 100% correct, because of the way the ID3 standards are written.

I could be mistaken. I'm sure it's overkill, but it's probably better than doing it yourself.

moberry
May 10th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Thanks I was leaning towards that till i was going through the GStreamer documentation. Gstreamer has support for meta tag reading, and since its format-independent I can use the same function calls for both mpeg, vorbis, etc. Which was what I was aiming for.