PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel 17 core on my laptop, turbo threading doesnt seem supported.

PandaMonix
April 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, as this is my first post id like to say hello, and i apologise if this is in the wrong section. i wasn't to sure as to were to post this.

firstly, i have been using linux for about 1-2 months now, im just learning the basic in and outs.

now, my question =]

i have recently bought an alien-ware m17x r-2 laptop.
this laptop comes with an intel 17 turbo thread technology processor.

the problem is, the turbo thread isn't working. i have a conky showing my cpu load. i also have, i also have my 8 threads from my 4 cores showing on my taskbar "right click the task bar and add to panel>CPU frequencies"

they show that my laptop will not exceed 1.8 ghz, were windows climaxes at nearly 3.8ghz!

i have tried all the ups and down i could think of, iv updated my bios and and im not running ubuntu 10.10

my theory is, that in windows, by defult it sets the processor to "power-saving" meaning the processor stayes at a low ghz." in windows u have the option to "full power" it. in which enables turbo thread .
im guessing linux doesn't have a "enable turbo thread" button XD

can anyone offer some advice. maybe help me enable it. or at-least let me know if its possible.