PDA

View Full Version : Is Cygwin portable by default?

xtheunknown0
April 16th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I've installed the default, minimal Cygwin. If I dump C:\cygwin onto a USB, reinstall the same version of Windows and paste back the cygwin folder, will Cygwin work?

TIA,
xtheunknown0

DMcA
April 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Yes, it should do, I've done this before. I'd recommend backing up any files created in the Cygwin directory though, I seem to remember having issues when using different usernames. I think Cygwin creates a home directory according to your windows username

xtheunknown0
April 18th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks.

kevdog
April 19th, 2011, 04:42 AM
There is actually a portable cygwin version available

intrepidhero
November 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I've gone through getting a cygwin installed on a thumbdrive recently. I now use it quite frequently. There are a few things that you may want to tweak to get your home directory to be consistent, etc. I've recorded the things I did here: http://fadedbluesky.com/tag/cygwin/

Bandit
November 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Cygwin doesnt mess with the windows registry, so yea you can just back up the whole directory tree its in and drag and drop it back when you have to reinstall. Which reminds me I need to re-backup mine soon. I have it installed on Win7 with a dozen more programs that I have or have been trying to compile and install. You should also try to get Console 2.00.147 by Mark Bozikovic. It has many customization features that Gnome and KTerm have and alpha transparency.