PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ktorrent dependencies broken, cannot install

Voluntaryist
April 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I have Ktorrent installed via the repositories and its always worked perfectly. Today I ran software update with KPackageKit and it installed updates. It told me that KTorrent had to be removed to continue and without thinking I hit ok. Now my KTorrent is gone.

When I try to install it on the terminal with
sudo apt-get install ktorrent it gives me this error.

$ sudo apt-get install ktorrent
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ktorrent : Depends: ktorrent-data (= 4.0.3-0ubuntu1) but 4.0.5-3ubuntu1~maverick1~ppa1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

If I remove and reinstall ktorrent-data it doesn't help. build-dep doesn't help. autoremove and then trying to reinstall doesn't help.

I'm not running some strange dev version of anything. I have a standard Kubuntu 10.10 amd64 installation and my KDE version is 4.6.2 from the regular repositories. I run updates (standard repositories) almost every day and have never seen anything like this before.

Can someone please help? I really like KTorrent and would very much enjoy using it again.

Dutch70
April 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Have you tried running...

sudo apt-get install -f

idef1x
April 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I've the same problem and running "apt-get install -f" doesn't help :-(

idef1x
April 16th, 2011, 11:13 AM
just tried a work-around, but don't know yet if it breaks the system:

Just download the ktorrent-data_4.0.3-0ubuntu1_all.deb file from http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/all/ktorrent-data/download

then deinstall the wrong ktorrent-data:

apt-get remove ktorrent-datainstall the downloaded version :

sudo dpkg -i ktorrent-data_4.0.3-0ubuntu1_all.debafter that just install ktorrent with :
apt-get install ktorrentAND DON'T UPDATE THE KTORRENT-DATA package again! ;-)

~Plue
April 16th, 2011, 11:50 AM
the problem would probably go away if you remove the PPA from which the 4.0.5 version is being pulled from..

idef1x
April 16th, 2011, 12:28 PM
@~Plue most likely, but then the question is which PPA it comes from ;-)

Anyway I just did an "sudo apt-get update" again (did it allready before) and now apperently it does work with 4.0.5, so for the oriignal poster : just do an "sudo apt-get update" and install ktorrent again :-)
Should be solved now?

~Plue
April 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
@~Plue most likely, but then the question is which PPA it comes from ;-)

well, only someone who is using it would know the definite answer to that :)
i'd take a guess at the kubuntu backports ppa or having maverick backports enabled, because 4.0.3 is supposed to be the stable release for the maverick repos.

(this could be wrong though)

Zorael
April 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Use aptitude instead of apt-get. It will suggest solutions where apt-get just freaks out and exits.

$ sudo aptitude install ktorrent
In your case you want to downgrade ktorrent-data.

To show which ppa a package is from, you can use apt-cache showpkg. If the ppa has been removed it can't tell, though.

$ apt-cache showpkg ktorrent

idef1x
April 18th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the tips Zorael! Will be usefull next time apt doesn't understand :-)