PDA

View Full Version : Money make better life?

honeybear
April 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Hello. Does money make us happy? -Well, no, and surely.

However it contributes to a better life, right - So, are you looking forward for more money, or less for more tranquility, or other. It is sure that working a lot for lot of money brings problems (health, lack of time with family, ...)

What is your vision about this philosophic life-related subject?
No one has the ideal solution, but advises may influence positively or negatively the steps of some of you.

Aquix
April 16th, 2011, 06:42 AM
It's not the money itself but the security it brings.

hunterkasy
April 16th, 2011, 06:51 AM

However it contributes to a better life, right - So, are you looking forward for more money, or less for more tranquility, or other. It is sure that working a lot for lot of money brings problems (health, lack of time with family, ...)

No one has the ideal solution, but advises may influence positively or negatively the steps of some of you.

Money= better life: yes
Money= happy: no

It is more to do with what you do with your life than how much money you have.

most people in the US (I live) have plenty of money. even the poor. what you do with the money is what makes you who you are. most people waste their money on wants. then complain about not having any money. (myself included)

One false statement is money is the root of all evil. that is a myth. It is the persons want of power is what gets them "evil" I believe in capitalism. you work hard so you can pursue your own happiness.

allot of "rich" people are not happy. and allot of what others would look at as being poor are more than happy. they are not making allot of money but they are satisfied in what they make, they can pay their bills and can afford what toys they want.

v1ad
April 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
+1 for what Aquix said.

with money you can go for your dream goals without worry.

Canime
April 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Its easier in life to ignore the need for money and material things. It also makes life worth more living it knowing that you aren't just a slave to a company or corporation. Lots of folks I know will substitute that feeling for a book, enjoy their work or find other more suitable pastimes such as education as a substitute, rather than worry about the financial rewards at the end of it.

kostkon
April 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Happiness: not always

but

Food in your plate & a roof over your head: yes :P

honeybear
April 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Happiness: not always

but

Food in your plate & a roof over your head: yes :P

not only. It depends also on which food and roof (quality, ...)

Paqman
April 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Money allows you more freedom, but it's the choices you make with that freedom that make you happy. However, it's perfectly possible to make choices that lead to happiness without having money.

linuxforartists
April 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
This article was pretty interesting: $75,000 is the "perfect salary for happiness" (http://lifehacker.com/#%215632191/75000-is-the-perfect-salary-for-happiness)

I wouldn't name a specific number, but I do agree that past a certain point, the money becomes unreal. If you make $100 million a year or $200 million a year, would it really make that big a difference in your life? Then again, that would be a nice problem to have.

An Internet entrepreneur gave his breakdown here: How much money do you really need? (http://www.quicksprout.com/2011/03/16/how-much-money-do-you-really-need/)

The best life would be if you're doing work you love, hanging out with people that you like, and living in a place you enjoy.

The worst life would be buying things you didn't need, with money you don't have, to impress people you don't like. That's my 2 cents.

sffvba[e0rt
April 16th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I would rather be rich and miserable, than poor and miserable.

aysiu
April 16th, 2011, 09:30 AM
If you have no food, you will die. If you have the right amount of food, you will be sated. If you have too much food, you will vomit.

Money doesn't work in exactly the same way, but it's a similar principle--having absolutely no money means you will likely have not even your basic needs met (food, shelter, safe drinking water). But past a certain point, money brings only more useless possessions and extravagance, and not necessarily a better life... or a happier one.

Paqman
April 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM

That's a bit like saying you'd rather be run over by one steamroller than two steamrollers IMO.

danbuter
April 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM
If I was rich, I could actually take a real vacation to somewhere cool like the Grand Canyon or southern France. And I wouldn't have to do the 40-50 hour grind every week. Not to mention having my own home, instead of renting.

"Money might not buy happiness, but it makes finding it a hell of a lot easier". - some guy

sffvba[e0rt
April 16th, 2011, 10:06 AM
That's a bit like saying you'd rather be run over by one steamroller than two steamrollers IMO.

Well, if that is the only two choices you have... ;)

NCLI
April 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Having a certain amount of money certainly makes you happy, yes.

However, it is not money in and of itself, which will hopefully soon be thrown out along with our broken capitalist system, but rather the fact that having enough money lets you do whatever you want, fulfill your dreams, eat good food on a daily basis, etc.

KiwiNZ
April 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Having money has never made me unhappy. Being able to purchase the luxuries that I have again has never made me unhappy.

In fact these have made me happy and the ability to see the tough times of the last years. So to answer the Questions "Money make life better"? ..... Yes.

Rasa1111
April 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Money is nothing.

I know poor people who struggle to eat every month,
who are far happier than any of the 'wealthy' people I know.

Which one is truly richer?
Who has "more"?

The man who has "nothing", but is happy and content, and can smile every day..
or the man who has "everything", but happiness and contentment, and has a scorn upon his face every day?

To me,
it is a no-brainer..
I'd much rather be in the shoes of the man with "nothing".
:KS

money is an illusion.
"class' is an illusion,
and they exist for one purpose
to have control over The People..
which is also an illusion.
and, Since Im on a roll with the illusions..
Should i just go ahead and mention that death is also an illusion? lol
:lol:
:P
<3

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2011, 10:46 AM
It is a reality in today's world to need money. I am not cursed with greed though so generally I take every dollar fairly far :)

gnomeuser
April 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Like my dad says: Money isn't a problem, no money is a problem.

As someone who is broke and has little income normally, I am thankful for the multitude of good fortune I've had. However I would have fewer worries if my finances looked better and currently the

Does it make life better, yes in the sense that it allows for some more freedom and removes some worries.

madjr
April 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM

you get different types of miserable depending on your income.

when you are poor, usually some extra effort/cash will relieve your situation.

when you are rich, you know more money wont help, so sometimes the rich opt for some extreme measures...

for some people having too much money means having no limits, so that can be their doom!

i know for one that being poor, saved my life. I went from having enough and no character (easily manipulated) to super poor and with a true backbone. I wouldnt exchange that backbone even for a couple of millions...

I know that becoming poor stopped me from doing drugs and having a terminal STD like Aids.

so i advice that everyone experience what is to be very poor for a while. You will really know what is important in life and what is just an illusion in your head.

people need limits, most are not prepared to handle too much money.

in fact you need to experience both being poor and wealthy (by own merits), to find a mid point in life, because the opposite can happen if you're poor all your life, you have an illusion that being rich is the solution to it all and thus sometimes those people will do anything to get it, even kill...

We give way too much "dumb/fake" value to lots of things (specially some stupid celebrities with 0 talent... or fads), so if your goal in life is just to have lots of money doing "what ever" it takes, then you have a mental problem. We give too much value at the "idea" of "having it all".

being rich just opens doors to possibilities and choice (many good, but also many, many bad!)

just my 2 cents.

p.s. your family and the people that really love you (with or without monies!!!) is where the true happiness is !!!! thats just priceless ;)

XubuRoxMySox
April 16th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Extreme wealth can ruin some people. They pursue their own pleasure and ease and whatever, and become less able to deal with hardship.

Right after Christmas last year, we lost our home. Long term unemployment, health issues, etc., a long story, but increasingly common. Mom fell into despair and hopelessness because to her, money is everything. But for Papa, money is just one means to an end. He planned for the worst and made arrangements so we wouldn't be sleeping under some highway overpass at night and camping in the woods with a bunch of strangers, digging through dumpsters for food (and I've seen that).

Mom is living with her mother. Papa and I live in an 18-wheeler now, traveling all over the country. I'm finishing school (mobile "home" schooling via an on-line school) using my Xubuntu laptop and whatever wifi spots we can find. I'm learning alot out here on the road, keeping Papa awake when he's driving, taking care of his paperwork, and working way ahead in school (I will graduate next month!). Papa is making money again and by September we'll have a home of our own again (renting).

Our journey from luxurious comfort to homelessness this past year has taught me alot about money and happiness. Money certainly plays a role in quality of life, but happiness certainly does not depend on wealth. There are plenty of wealthy and miserable people in our society, but also plenty of people like my Papa who have learned to be content with what they have, and who are happy because their lives aren't all wrapped up in the pursuit of or abundance of material stuff.

My blog post about being a homeless kid (http://dixiedancer.posterous.com/homelessness-disaster-gratitude)

-Robin

honeybear
April 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM
If I was rich, I could actually take a real vacation to somewhere cool like the Grand Canyon or southern France. And I wouldn't have to do the 40-50 hour grind every week. Not to mention having my own home, instead of renting.

"Money might not buy happiness, but it makes finding it a hell of a lot easier". - some guy

Renting or buying, indeed. Nowadays with inflation, it has become more difficult than 30 years ago.

madjr
April 16th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Extreme wealth can ruin some people. They pursue their own pleasure and ease and whatever, and become less able to deal with hardship.

Right after Christmas last year, we lost our home. Long term unemployment, health issues, etc., a long story, but increasingly common. Mom fell into despair and hopelessness because to her, money is everything. But for Papa, money is just one means to an end. He planned for the worst and made arrangements so we wouldn't be sleeping under some highway overpass at night and camping in the woods with a bunch of strangers, digging through dumpsters for food (and I've seen that).

Mom is living with her mother. Papa and I live in an 18-wheeler now, traveling all over the country. I'm finishing school (mobile "home" schooling via an on-line school) using my Xubuntu laptop and whatever wifi spots we can find. I'm learning alot out here on the road, keeping Papa awake when he's driving, taking care of his paperwork, and working way ahead in school (I will graduate next month!). Papa is making money again and by September we'll have a home of our own again (renting).

Our journey from luxurious comfort to homelessness this past year has taught me alot about money and happiness. Money certainly plays a role in quality of life, but happiness certainly does not depend on wealth. There are plenty of wealthy and miserable people in our society, but also plenty of people like my Papa who have learned to be content with what they have, and who are happy because their lives aren't all wrapped up in the pursuit of or abundance of material stuff.

My blog post about being a homeless kid (http://dixiedancer.posterous.com/homelessness-disaster-gratitude)

-Robin

thanks for sharing this Robin! :KS

only those whom have lived through the bad, the good and the bad again, know where the real happiness is at :)

seems some people will always depend on external stuff for "their" happiness, when in reality happiness is an internal virtual state that your brain creates, so we need to find a balance/mid point.

For example, My last girlfriend depended 100% on me for "her happiness"... she became addicted to me and suffered a lot if i was not there all the time.

She had been abused many times before because of this dependency on others.

so what did i do for her own good? i dumped her.

She threatened to kill herself for like a year, but Now she thanks me, because she is stronger and has confidence, so she really is finally happy with herself without depending always on other people or things.

t.rei
April 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM
As someone who is notoriously short on money, yeah, it would actually. If I had the money.... I could actually program fun things. Like joining the gnome team or something else to make good things better for a whole lot of people. THAT would make me happier. I like helping. And I'd love to not having a life that revolves around getting money for flat,food,communications,insurances,travel,... the everyday things really. I'm not into luxury items, I don't want to own stuff that would end up owning me. But I'd love to one day reach the point where the money is no longer the chains on my life.

Yes, more money would make me happier. It's not WHAT makes me happy, but the things it enables me to do.

Johnsie
April 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
State of mind is more important than money. I regularly go to Honduras and people there seem alot happier, even though many of them have alot less than people here in the UK. Here there are alot of angry people... People get angry soooooooooo easily and expect everything handed to them on a plate and get even more angry when they don't get that.

I think debt can be stressful, but being super rich doesn't make life happier. If you can accept the world around you and try to make the most of it then you can be happy with very little.

KiwiNZ
April 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Financial independence gave me the ability to concentrate on rehabilitation and resolving my disability and getting the medical treatment needed.

I was able to purchase a Spa pool Gym equipment etc and lap pool for home that I could use to build strength.

Without financial resources I would not have been able to do any of that and I would not be where I am today..

chotamunda10
April 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I Think,Money is need of every Person which solve the multiple requirement of humen being.:lolflag::guitar:

Rasa1111
April 16th, 2011, 12:18 PM

-Robin

Thanks for sharing that Robin.
well done :D <3
thanks for the link!
Blessings <3 :KS

XubuRoxMySox
April 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I regularly go to Honduras and people there seem alot happier, even though many of them have alot less than people here in the UK.

REALLY!? I made a few mission trips to Honduras over the last few summers when we could afford it. We worked in a tiny village near LaCeiba helping make improvements to an orphanage there, Made lots of friends among the kids.

The people are "dirt poor" but contented and happy, because they have learned what so many people here in the 'States could stand to learn.

If I were King of the World, I would make mission trips to 3rd world countries mandatory for people in rich countries!

-Robin

rudihawk
April 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Money won't make you happy, but it certainly makes life easier.

FlameReaper
April 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
It's a hard thing being too rich, but you can't be too poor and be so rejecting of money.

My closest family never got around being the other end of the scale, but as I am right now it sure is a despair having to figure out how to spend at most just a mere three or five bucks a day - times seven for a week. It might sound like nothing much, but my currency is America's divided by three and you might figure where I am in the world. (On the other hand I will have to multiply by three to get a dollar, if you need further clues.)

Now I'm wishing that a wholesome plate of a good lunch is back to the old days again - less than a buck. Not to mention that I'm nearing my final year exams, and I can't neglect meals for that.

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I've had times when I was lacking, and I've had times when I had plenty. I can honestly say that I was happier when I had plenty. It's what you do with your money that can bring happiness or misery, not the money itself.

It's all relative, anyway. I could make $25,000/year, and if I'm paying my bills and have what I need, I'll be much happier than if I make $75,000/year and I'm up to my eyeballs in debt.

But there is a difference between joy and happiness. Doing right with money can bring happiness, but it certainly won't bring you joy.

pbpersson
April 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM
One false statement is money is the root of all evil. that is a myth.

The Bible says the love of money is the root of all evil.

This means that if you put earning or stealing money before family, friends, health, and God that would be a bad thing. When money is the most important thing in your life I think it makes for an empty life.

On the other hand, people have often said "money isn't everything" and while I accepted that statement when I was younger, now I question it's accuracy. I mean, oxygen isn't everything but you would be very distressed if you were suddenly without it and could not find any. ;)

aguafina
April 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM
:popcorn: Monks are some the most content and happy group on earth yet they have no real wealth or materialistic items.

pbpersson
April 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM

-Robin

That is an amazing story! Thank you for sharing that. :)

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2011, 11:25 PM
:popcorn: Monks are some the most content and happy group on earth yet they have no real wealth or materialistic items.

That's a stereotype. All the monks I know are miserable. :)

Just joking.

spoons
April 16th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I like fixing stuff that isn't really worth fixing, just because I enjoy doing so. People tell me "Why do you do that when you can just buy another, it's cheap!" But to me, that's not what it's about. So I guess that's about how money doesn't automatically get you happiness, in a sense.

And if anyone's not found the meaning of life yet, they obviously haven't tried gardening.

Dry Lips
April 17th, 2011, 12:00 AM

-Robin

Here is yet another "thanks for sharing" post! I also agree that we
living in the rich nations of the earth have a moral debt towards the
poor. Doing humanitarian work is a fine way of showing solidarity
to those less fortunate than us. With wealth comes a great responsibility.

Good luck, I wish you all the best. (And I loved your post on your
blog about how you found out about Ubuntu. :D)

Rasa1111
April 17th, 2011, 12:27 AM

Indeed.

I am reminded of a quote by one of my favorite authors..

If you're in trouble, or hurt or need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones. ~John Steinbeck

<3

A quote I have learned to be quite honest and true.

Irihapeti
April 17th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I would say (and I think that this is supported by research somewhere) that up to a certain point, money does make a for a better life. But once your basic needs are met, it's a different matter. I would agree with some of the other replies that what you see as basic needs often gets exaggerated.

Even then, I think it depends very much on attitude. I've known people who don't have much money but spend a lot of time obsessing about saving a bit here and there and wanting everything cheaper. One particular person I knew would always buy the cheapest item, use it for purposes beyond what it was designed for, and then complain loudly when it broke down. To me, that's putting a very high importance on money - but a negative one.

Give me someone who has more money but doesn't obsess about it any day.

honeybear
April 17th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I would say (and I think that this is supported by research somewhere) that up to a certain point, money does make a for a better life. But once your basic needs are met, it's a different matter. I would agree with some of the other replies that what you see as basic needs often gets exaggerated.

Give me someone who has more money but doesn't obsess about it any day.

Actually the regular needs are : the roof or house, car, children, trips or holidays, toys, food, and some others. You can basically calculate how much every of them shall be fulfilled. It depends on how much you would like and how much you really have. Less or more depends on the life's quality. Surgeons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgery) who are commonly physicians, it is a good basis for calculations since it is rather fix value: 120'000-150'000 $/year. However job is pretty demanding...

pi3.1415926535...
April 17th, 2011, 04:21 AM
The Bible says the love of money is the root of all evil.

This means that if you put earning or stealing money before family, friends, health, and God that would be a bad thing. When money is the most important thing in your life I think it makes for an empty life.

On the other hand, people have often said "money isn't everything" and while I accepted that statement when I was younger, now I question it's accuracy. I mean, oxygen isn't everything but you would be very distressed if you were suddenly without it and could not find any. ;)

Please, if at all possible, adhere to forum rules.

Additionally, this (http://www.xkcd.com/792/) has a relatively interesting point. My personal view is that often times money can bring happiness, directly and indirectly. I also believe that it is relative, because if one has experienced living on a low sum, and then go to earning a greater amount, they will likely appreciate it more than one who has lived on an even greater amount, and then is reduced to the middle amount. I have also heard (Top Gear's interview with Peter Jones and Theo Paphetis) that money can be viewed more as a competition fro those with significant amounts of it.

Khakilang
April 17th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Food on the table a roof over your head and clothing on your back. How much will that cost? Money is for the purpose of making your life better not destroying it. The issue is not how much money we have but wise we use our money.

fdrake
April 17th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Food on the table a roof over your head and clothing on your back. How much will that cost? Money is for the purpose of making your life better not destroying it. The issue is not how much money we have but wise we use our money.

can't agree more. money is just a tool like a knife it can help or it can hurt, nothing more. you can't buy your time with money, which is the most important thing a man has.

Rasa1111
April 17th, 2011, 05:56 AM

Indeed.

Im astounded how We, as a Planet- A Whole~ have 1 in every 8 people, without safe (or any) water to drink, not to mention food and shelter...

Yet everywhere you look there are govts spending trillions, on wars and weapons and deceit.. There are "Lottos" just magically giving away millions of dollars daily, There are *numerous* "game shows" on television that just magically give away millions weekly, there are grown adults who play games and get paid millions and billions and trillions of dollars, for just that, Playing games...[nfl/nba/mlb/nascar/etc/etc]
and this crap just goes on and on...

while there are still people just like us in the billions with no water, food, or roof?

I think it''s safe to say that Nobody has been "wise" when it comes to any of this..
and none of it will ever be 'justified' or right until we
[The Planet]
can learn to work as a whole, and every one of us has the simple basic needs required for survival.
Everyone's at fault.
We all let it continue.
True story.
I love you
The End. :KS lol

pbpersson
April 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
there are grown adults who play games and get paid millions and billions and trillions of dollars, for just that, Playing games...[nfl/nba/mlb/nascar/etc/etc]
and this crap just goes on and on...

This recently came up in a conversation with someone. Yes, the sports figures and entertainment celebrities get millions of $$$$.....but we keep buying tickets. Well, someone is buying tickets. That is what I don't understand.

pbpersson
April 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I think it''s safe to say that Nobody has been "wise" when it comes to any of this..
and none of it will ever be 'justified' or right until we
[The Planet]
can learn to work as a whole, and every one of us has the simple basic needs required for survival.

In the United States people are very upset that so many jobs are going overseas to other countries where people cannot afford the basic necessities of life. Part of this is due to the Internet which has transformed us into a global village in many ways.

Now in the United States the standard of living is decreasing while in some countries the fortunate people who get these jobs can afford food and clothing.

Perhaps this is the beginning of the wealth being spread across the planet as you suggested?

lisati
April 17th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Mrs Lisati and I depend largely on the goodwill of the New Zealand taxpayer for our income, supplemented by some part time work. For this we are grateful. Being able to have a roof over our heads, food in the cupboards, clothes to wear, free or low cost medical care, and all the other necessaries for daily living is something that is easily taken for granted.

As an aside: the observation about the saying about the love of money being misquoted is noted.... let's see if we can continue this thread without breaking the forum rules. :D

Rasa1111
April 17th, 2011, 11:55 PM
This recently came up in a conversation with someone. Yes, the sports figures and entertainment celebrities get millions of $$$$.....but we keep buying tickets. Well, someone is buying tickets. That is what I don't understand.

Absolutely my friend.
Though i understand it as simple(or complex)conditioning.
People are conditioned and made to focus on and care about these meaningless things that benefit no one but very few.
People are told something is important or meaningful, and they accept it, and go with it. It's all conditioning.
Technically, brainwashing.
(they should hand out free shampoo with all that conditioning!)lol :P

People are simply unaware, many of them by choice.
Awareness is key, yet we are sadly lacking in it as a species.

As long as we are kept "nice n comfy" with all this meaningless junk to focus on, People will never Rise Up and care enough to make things right.
Not enough people, anyway.

In the United States people are very upset that so many jobs are going overseas to other countries where people cannot afford the basic necessities of life. Part of this is due to the Internet which has transformed us into a global village in many ways.

Now in the United States the standard of living is decreasing while in some countries the fortunate people who get these jobs can afford food and clothing.

Perhaps this is the beginning of the wealth being spread across the planet as you suggested?

If equality will be the end result..
Then I'm all for it my friend!
I will gladly go a little hungry/with less food/money, if it means that others will be able to put something in their stomachs.
(and I sometimes do)

Perhaps it is The Beginning.. I hope so.
I will remain hopeful.
Thanks for the nice posts. :) <3

(and thanks everyone for not flaming me for my previous post)
I kinda thought someone would be.
But am happy to see otherwise. lol

a roof over our heads, food in the cupboards, clothes to wear, free or low cost medical care, and all the other necessaries for daily living is something that is easily taken for granted.

Most definitely.
Very easily taken for granted.
Even by those who know how fortunate they are. (myself for example)
It is an easy thing to forget, and to take for granted...
Until a little perspective/awareness sets in.
<3

Dry Lips
April 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM

It isn't the sale of tickets that generates all the money in sports/show biz.
It comes through selling television rights and advertising. In the end the
ones who pay for the sports extravaganza are the ordinary consumers...

forrestcupp
April 18th, 2011, 02:05 AM
As an aside: the observation about the saying about the love of money being misquoted is noted.... let's see if we can continue this thread without breaking the forum rules. :D

It's possible to quote the Bible without having a religious discussion. The Bible is full of wise sayings that have nothing to do with religion or deity. In my opinion, quoting those proverbs shouldn't be any more against the forum rules than quoting proverbs from Poor Richard's Almanac, especially when it's on topic.

Johnsie
April 18th, 2011, 12:52 PM
REALLY!? I made a few mission trips to Honduras over the last few summers when we could afford it. We worked in a tiny village near LaCeiba helping make improvements to an orphanage there, Made lots of friends among the kids.

The people are "dirt poor" but contented and happy, because they have learned what so many people here in the 'States could stand to learn.

If I were King of the World, I would make mission trips to 3rd world countries mandatory for people in rich countries!

-Robin

Yeah, it's a beautiful place. We also helped build an orphanage, but closer to Tegucigalpa. My fiance is an English teacher there and I try to get there as much as I can. There sure is alot of work to be done to help people and we do what we can. I agree that it would be a good idea to send more people to do that kind of work, because sometimes people in rich countries forget that most of the world live in poverty. Thousands of people die of hunger every day and I'm whining because I have to wait 5 minutes for a burger.

This video wasn't made in Honduras, but I think it helps to show a little about the reality of the world we live in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1bOteXhwrw

honeybear
April 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah, it's a beautiful place. We also helped build an orphanage, but closer to Tegucigalpa. My fiance is an English teacher there and I try to get there as much as I can. There sure is alot of work to be done to help people and we do what we can. I agree that it would be a good idea to send more people to do that kind of work, because sometimes people in rich countries forget that most of the world live in poverty. Thousands of people die of hunger every day and I'm whining because I have to wait 5 minutes for a burger.

This video wasn't made in Honduras, but I think it helps to show a little about the reality of the world we live in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1bOteXhwrw

So why are they very poor and happy? - because of family, relatives, ... they have today also less obligations than US or European countries. Do you think that they are also under high taxes, rules, ...? I do not think that for opening a store they need to fight years to survive at the beginning to get fundings and pay high taxes. Is life made easier there? Is having less makes it however easier? - However they do certainly have not a better health care (no dentists, parondontisis early, and so on). All is relative anyhow. What is better? - Nobody really knows because it mostly comes from the education. You are born US citizen, or in another country, and another lifestyle is for 90%-95% to be unchanged for the future of the given person.

StephanG
April 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry if this sounds a little bit sexist, but I want to say that I am a guy, and I don't know how girls think. I don't know what makes them happy, so I am not going to speak for them. This is simply my perception on what makes guys happy.

To summarize it one word: Significance.

Men have a need to feel important. We want to think that we are making a difference in the world. We want to think, that we matter. And it is extremely difficult for a guy to feel like he matters when he's struggling financially.

So, in order to matter, we start tackling our problems. The first problems that need to be addressed, are on the bottom of Maslow's hierarchy. Food, water and shelter. These needs can all be met with money. Then, second on the list, is things like safety, security & stability. Well, we're in luck. Money can also solve these needs, so we keep doing what we've been doing up to this point: Make money.

But now that we have made a difference, and solved several problems, money isn't that important anymore. But our need to be significant is still there. So, we look for more rights to wrong, more damsels to save, etc.

But the problem is, that next on the Maslow's hierarchy of needs is relationships. Money can't really help there. And above that is respect. Money can't help there either.

The problem is, that we still have that need to be significant. But we've run out of problems that money can solve. Now, if we want to remain important, significant, we need to learn a whole new skill-set. We need to learn to be compassionate, gentle, strong, sensitive, tactful, decisive, and a host of other skills that will helps us to make a difference in the lives of our families and friends.

Unfortunately, its a lot easier to just make more money...

leclerc65
April 18th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Mrs Lisati and I depend largely on the goodwill of the New Zealand taxpayer for our income...
My next life I would like to be reincarnated as a New Zealander.:)
Seriously.

Derxst
April 19th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Poor and happy is better than rich and miserable.

I just need enough to pay my (and my family's) expenses, put some away in savings, and some to have a little fun with.

honeybear
April 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Poor and happy is better than rich and miserable.

I just need enough to pay my (and my family's) expenses, put some away in savings, and some to have a little fun with.

US have usually higher salaries than Asia and Europe. However although a very welcoming land, land of hopes and promises, it can be more difficult with health care or other issues. After years of living in US, you usually have a wide array of opportunities to take. But, in some cases, ... poorer gets poorer and into more difficult situations... Anywhere you may live, happiness is inside whatever may occur. Money making life better, is not sure, but it might help. Seems rather correct.

d3v1150m471c
April 19th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Having money is awesome but there are a few rare things in life that simply cannot be bought. Those are what I value the most.

NightwishFan
April 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Having money is awesome but there are a few rare things in life that simply cannot be bought. Those are what I value the most.

I will have to agree with this.

werty2010
April 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM
This article was pretty interesting: $75,000 is the "perfect salary for happiness" (http://lifehacker.com/#%215632191/75000-is-the-perfect-salary-for-happiness)

I wouldn't name a specific number, but I do agree that past a certain point, the money becomes unreal. If you make $100 million a year or $200 million a year, would it really make that big a difference in your life? Then again, that would be a nice problem to have.

+1
just give me one... i would be very happy indeed

honeybear
April 20th, 2011, 04:30 PM
+1
just give me one... i would be very happy indeed

This calculation seems correct. It however does not take into account the dynamic inflation. (for credits)

Grenage
April 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
You become accustomed to the financial situation you have, the problem comes with change. While exceptions exist, I imagine that a man with little could easily be as happy as a man with much; that said, I've never met someone who said "it sucks to be wealthy".

If your happiness is dependent on possessions, then to be honest it's probably not the money that's the problem

If someone gave me 200 million pounds, I'd take it; I've always wanted a castle bristling with cannons.

juancarlospaco
April 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
If you think not, ...then give it to me :D

honeybear
April 21st, 2011, 03:42 AM
You become accustomed to the financial situation you have, the problem comes with change. While exceptions exist, I imagine that a man with little could easily be as happy as a man with much; that said, I've never met someone who said "it sucks to be wealthy".

If your happiness is dependent on possessions, then to be honest it's probably not the money that's the problem

If someone gave me 200 million pounds, I'd take it; I've always wanted a castle bristling with cannons.

Might you not think that happiness and its origin would depend on the age also. At certain time, more possession, then more family ... for instance. It might change and evolve all the time

Derxst
April 21st, 2011, 04:25 AM
US have usually higher salaries than Asia and Europe. However although a very welcoming land, land of hopes and promises, it can be more difficult with health care or other issues. After years of living in US, you usually have a wide array of opportunities to take. But, in some cases, ... poorer gets poorer and into more difficult situations... Anywhere you may live, happiness is inside whatever may occur. Money making life better, is not sure, but it might help. Seems rather correct.

Hmmm... Health care has never been difficult for me to get. Never. Of course, I have great insurance.

I do not want to get political on why I think the poor stay poor and the rich continue to get richer. I do think we would be better off if my fellow Americans weren't so concerned with the accumulation of "things" and worried about who is going to get voted off American Idol or Dancing with the Stars.

I still would not want to live anywhere else. Except for Sweden. Or Norway. Or Australia. Or New Zealand. :-)

Canime
April 21st, 2011, 06:22 AM
Hmmm... Health care has never been difficult for me to get. Never. Of course, I have great insurance.

I do not want to get political on why I think the poor stay poor and the rich continue to get richer. I do think we would be better off if my fellow Americans weren't so concerned with the accumulation of "things" and worried about who is going to get voted off American Idol or Dancing with the Stars.

I still would not want to live anywhere else. Except for Sweden. Or Norway. Or Australia. Or New Zealand.

Its funny because there is a real divide between the rich and the poor in America. It seems money is somewhat of a religion and those who have it are in a different or separate category to us eh? A better life might include letting go of all material attachments and seeking true happiness in harmony with god.

gnomeuser
April 21st, 2011, 09:30 AM
It's possible to quote the Bible without having a religious discussion. The Bible is full of wise sayings that have nothing to do with religion or deity. In my opinion, quoting those proverbs shouldn't be any more against the forum rules than quoting proverbs from Poor Richard's Almanac, especially when it's on topic.

The problem is that defacto it is an untouchable argument.

One cannot rationally argue against an a statement essentially rooted in religion without coming into conflict with the forum rules for "religious protection" or being accused of the same. The forum rules (and society as a whole) are defacto gamed in favor of religious argument based on an expectation of undue respect. Leading to a state of self-censorship to avoid banning.

AgentZ86
December 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM

While looking for a shockwave fixup to play nascar games and getting the error of plugin needed I stumbled across this post

This is a most excellent post

Many may be completely surprised to hear this but I actually want less money. If you can believe it, I actually saw this topic coming a long time ago when I first started working let me express these 2 main topics as it relates to time.

Working for someone else certainly does not give you any more time, and as many express they feel secure, however whats so secure about being broke and working all the time.

So this system of public school teaching of getting educated to get a good job is not really a good teaching because they forget to tell you that you will be doing exactly that. (Working for money) for the rest of your entire life and sometimes until you die.

Working for yourself also has an appeal because it has the image of the potential to hire those who want to work and an image of a future where you might have developed a business that could sustain itself without you and you would still make money while the business creates income for you right ?

But not much teaching in the public school about making money work for you while your working so that you can actually retire at an earlier age and still enjoy.

Provided of course that your remain healthy enough to work for a short time and don't run up a lot of bills so that your investments will eventually be paying you an income.
Theoretically you could invest most of your money for the first 10 years of your working life and retire.
I know several school friends who did just that. Then they purchased working franchises of business that were already tested and proven and didn't have to develop anything but used their money to purchase other income streams.

OK so why am I talking about this and where does this lead me to actually wanting less money.

Well, the knowledge of all these topics evolve around the misconception that you have to have money to begin with.

Lets consider the old days where people walked, planted corn in the back yard, own their own property and grew things, and traded their goods and/or services for other things.

OK this may still be work related, but lets consider a life with 0 bills, NO BILLS for a moment.

You buy everything and pay for it up front what does this do to your life ?

If you have NO BILLS then you don't really need to work for money do you ? You only need to trade or work for the things you want.

If you own your home, and your off the grid, and you grow a lot of your own stuff on your own land. The money you make would be only for new gadgets and things you want luxuries perhaps.

But this system of paying property tax, income tax, sales tax, vat taxes, luxury taxes, inheritance taxes, and more have created a system that force people to earn incomes.

But with NO BILLS you don't really need incomes and your time would be your own.

So the not that this helps anyone simply by stating the obvious, but then secondarily comes the subject about luxuries and cell phone services, and ipads and game subscriptions etc.

Yes all these things are nice to have since life is sooo demanding of your time and energy people want to get things that make them feel good about why they are working so hard. This is the big trap.

So now you get a nice car (loans + interest) in bondage for another 3-6 years of payments because you didn't buy cash
So now you get a bigger house (loans + interest) with 15-30 years of commitment because you didn't build your own or buy cash.

Consider buying land and purchasing wood and building your own house ?
A lot of work right ?

But thing of difference between 15-30 years in payments ?

Would it take you 15 years to learn to build a house and buy some tools to build it ? Or to even hire some minor labor for help only from time to time as is needed ? Or get some friends to help ?

Think about this you could have build your $200+ K house for $30k and you would have had to save some funds or have at least some investment monies coming in to get the 30K but hey in one year your house it paid for.

Never to talk about mortgage payments again,

Knowing about this subject is the solution and give you other ways of thinking of a way out of the rat race.

Anyhow Happy blogging, thats my opinion anyhow

honeybear
December 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Children(s) certainly does. Money does not matter

OrangeCrate
December 27th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I am indeed rich, since my income is superior to my expense, and my expense is equal to my wishes.

Edward Gibbon

IWantFroyo
December 27th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I don't really care about money. As long as I'm not in debt, really.

I like to focus on life and enjoy it. Money always gets in the way of that.

tersogar
December 27th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Freedom is related to the amount of money oneīs have. In most societies we have the freedom to chose the best health care, education, a better car or a dream home to name a few. Without the money the so call freedom can not be exercise therefore we are living a fallacy.

So to the question: Money make a better life? If we think as a society I would say NO because the system degrades many and exalt a few.

Cogito Ergo Sum

wolfen69
December 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'd rather be rich and miserable, than poor and miserable.

cguy
December 28th, 2011, 12:20 AM
This topic is proof of how many ubuntuforums users live on mom and dad's money.
They are the ones who say that money don't matter.

Kids, please abstain from emitting opinions on the matter until you start living the "real life".

Drenriza
December 28th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Money makes alot of things easier.

thatguruguy
December 28th, 2011, 02:43 AM
You can't buy happiness.

But you can lease with an option.

PapaGary
December 28th, 2011, 02:52 AM
"I've been rich and I've been poor.

Rich is better."

-Billy Holiday-

lilwereboy
December 28th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Well, in the event I say... win the lottery, I would use alot of my money to help the world, both in third world countries, and in developed countries. Like by making freeware, open source games and programs common occurrence by sponsoring those who make them. And the remainder of the money to help my future family have a secure and comfortable life. Money does not make you happy, what you do with it does.

collisionystm
December 28th, 2011, 03:18 AM
This topic is proof of how many ubuntuforums users live on mom and dad's money.
They are the ones who say that money don't matter.

Kids, please abstain from emitting opinions on the matter until you start living the "real life".

Not really. Money may not hold a high importance to some people.

That is not to say that money is not needed because unfortunately its just the way the world works.

My philosophy is it really does not matter how much you make. You just need to be happy with what you have. Your needs can always be provided, its your WANTS that will leave you in debt.

I have 2 kids, a wife, mortgage, bills..etc. I make just enough money to pay my bills and my wife works a job at night to cover the rest. Yeah we struggle, but my kids are young and we are just starting out. Even though we may not have everything we WANT we are still happy because we have eachother, and getting to spend so much time with my kids means more to me than spending all my time at a job just to miss these precious years.
My father worked very hard his whole life. He had a military career, retired after 20 years, went civil service is now as high as you can go on the totem pole. The equivalent of a general in the military. He is a very respected man to so many people and you know something? I barely know him. He was never home. He left when I was younger because my parents could no longer get along. He spent so much time working that they became strangers to eachother. I talk to him once every month or 2 for 5 minutes on the phone, just to say how are you, are you still alive?
Another saying is, the more you make, the more you spend.
Which in many ways is true and it all comes back to just being satisfied with yourself, your life and your family because if your not, no amount of money can ever fix that and you will spend your whole life trying to figure out whats wrong.
I am happy to say I am in the working class, I get my 40 hours ( thank god ) and every day I thank god for the opportunity to work and have so much time with my family. My children will know me when as they grow and my wife, god willing, will always be there as well.

cguy
December 28th, 2011, 04:10 AM
@collisionystm:
Please! You are creating a non-issue here. Spending time with family is not mutually dependent with having money.

Money may not hold a high importance to some people.
Yeah,
- to the people who use "free" money (eg: mom and dad's money)
- to those who earn more than they'll ever consume (and are ignorant to the needs of the regular people)
- to those who like mediocrity or are lazy, so they settle for "money aren't important".
The rest of us realize the importance of money.

Which in many ways is true and it all comes back to just being satisfied with yourself, your life and your family because if your not, no amount of money can ever fix that and you will spend your whole life trying to figure out whats wrong.
I agree, but can you be satisfied if you don't have enough money?

Consider that you don't have enough money to:
- rent a nice place (or _buy_ a nice place)
- eat properly
- hang out with friends downtown
- join a sport
- buy nice clothes, when needed (not designer clothes; just nice clothes)
- go on the occasional vacation
- give to your kids to do the things that I just mentioned (because a healthy upbringing involves all these)

Sure, money don't guarantee happiness, but are certainly a contributing factor!

Oh, do you know how money resemble sex and air?
You realize their importance only when they're missing. :lol:

collisionystm
December 28th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Oh, do you know how money resemble sex and air?
You realize their importance only when they're missing. :lol:

lol good one.

OrangeCrate
December 28th, 2011, 04:25 AM
"I've been rich and I've been poor.

Rich is better."

-Billy Holiday-

Great quote, one of my favorites. I've heard it attributed to others too. Found this interesting...

"The Quote Verifier: Who Said What, Where, and When"
By Ralph Keyes
New York, NY: Macmillan

Pg. 179:

“I’ve been RICH and I’ve been poor. Rich is better.”

In 1937, a newspaper columnist portrayed the wife of playwright George S. Kaufman urging a theatrical figure to accept one of many movie opportunities he was being offered. “Dpn’t overlook the money part of it,” Bea Kaufman reportedly said. “I’ve been poor an I’ve been rich. Rich is better!” Sometimes misattributed to Mae West, Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Joey Adams, Joe Louis (Comedian Joe E. Lewis, not the boxer Joe Louis?—ed.), Frank Sinatra, Irving Wallace, John Connally, or Pearl Bailey, this thought is most often credited to singer Sophie Tucker. Nonetheless, there is no reliable record of her ever having said it. A retired editor named Henry McNulty once scoured his newspaper’s coverage of the hometown celebrity from the beginning of her career in 1922 until she died in 1966. He found no reference to this comment. Nor could McNulty find it in obituaries about Tucker written elsewhere, or in her autobiography. Some think the thought originated with comedian Joe E. Lewis, or comedienne Fanny Brice. Since Tucker and Lewis sometimes performed together, they had many an opportunity to borrow each other’s material. Tucker and Brice were contemporaries and friends. Most likely this was a show business commonplace free for the taking.

Verdict: An old entertainer’s saw.

guyver_dio
December 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Happiness is subjective, so it's impossible to say money brings happiness as much as saying anything brings happiness.

But it does make life better, it can't get in the way of happiness, it just allows for more options.

tersogar
December 28th, 2011, 05:17 PM
A poor person donīt have money and most rich persons donīt have time. Therefore I prefer to define a rich person as that one who has the time to enjoy that what he has. Money canīt make a better life, but time to enjoy it does.

neu5eeCh
December 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM
My 2Ē.

Being able to comfortably live within ones means, I think, is the key to happiness.

Some can do so with very little money, some can't; but that's probably a more important skill than the ability to make money. If we can't live within our means, no amount of money is ever going to make life better.

Some people just have a knack for making bucket loads of money whenever they need it. I swear. I know people like that. They go bust, they panic, they come up with some hair-brained scheme and make 6 figures in a single year, then blow right through it again. Me? I don't have that gift for making money. I have to live within my means and this last recession has hammered the lesson home.