PDA

View Full Version : what languages do you "speak" and...?

smartalecks
May 9th, 2006, 10:36 PM
hey there, just wondering:

what languages do you "speak" and how did you learn them? (C, C++, Java, BASH...)
curious to see :-D

richbarna
May 9th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I "speak" Spanish :)

engla
May 9th, 2006, 11:14 PM
C -- you have to know C. I learnt this on a very old Mac SE/30 (one of those with 9" screens). This was in the good old days of "cooperative multitasking" and the mac toolbox. The event loop of a program was basically while(event = WaitNextEvent(args..)) { ..code.. }, basically blocking background processes :). I have since learnt several other styles of C programming, including much more *nix-y C programming
Objective-C -- This is a really nice objective oriented language, and I learnt it to use Apple's Cocoa. It's very dynamic, have dynamic bindings and I always think in this language when I think about OO.
Java -- Our university programming courses are in Java. I don't really like java but the courses eased my suspiciousness a bit. I still don't use it for anything voluntarily, though.
C++ -- I don't really know C++ since I've spent too little time to learn it. I learnt it after learning taking a course in Algorithms and Datastructures that we (as above) had to do in Java. Simultaneously, I went home and made it all in C++ too, just to try. For algorthims only, C++ is obviously king.
Python -- Ubuntu introduced me to this one :cool: I realized that Gtk programming in C looked hairy and wanting something like the Obj-C/Cocoa combo for Ubuntu, I tried PyGTK. It's actually really nice but I wouldn't say that the analogy with the Cocoa combo is that great. I don't really know python that well either, it's just typing pseudocode :). I still made two applications for GNOME with it though (sig). I think python is great as glue for everything not critically tied to the commandline. Some might like to use python for shell-type scripting, but really, it's too convoluted to handle cli processes in python. I don't think that's a large drawback though.

IYY
May 9th, 2006, 11:22 PM
VB (taught in 6th grade or so, and more in highschool)
Turing (in highschool, to interface with hardware)
Assembly (in highschool)
Java (in highschool, and first year uni)
Bash, perl and other scripting languages (by myself, first year uni)
C/C++ (second year uni)

unbuntu
May 9th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Maybe this thread should go to "Programming Talk" as there is a similar thread, but anyways, during my "infancy" I learned Pascal and VB, but only able to "speak" a little bit with these...Then comes C/C++/Java with the Java dialect being almost a mother tongue now :)

Last year I learned my n'th language Python, loved it and decide to "speak" it more often.

RavenOfOdin
May 10th, 2006, 01:30 AM
C - Self study and reading until my eyes bled. ;)
C++ - See above.
HTML - College.
Assembly - After college.
PHP - After college.

fuscia
May 10th, 2006, 02:09 AM
the problem with foreign languages is they've got a different word for everything.

ice60
May 10th, 2006, 02:18 AM
[que Barry White music]i speak the international language of love. the ladies love it ;) lol [/que Barry White music]

YourSurrogateGod
May 10th, 2006, 02:29 AM
C/C++ -- Being a memory management Nazi is for cool people. My two favoritest languages evah.
Java -- Used it, used to love it, but would prefer to never touch it again.
VB .NET -- I liked it. It doesn't have the power of C/C++, but then it's not supposed to. Anyone can easily whip up a small app in VB very quickly.
PHP -- I know very little. I once made a small web-page that pretty much takes stuff from a MySQL database and spits it out to the screen, that's it.
Lisp -- Fun stuff. Learned it during the first semester of my college career. Seriously. The only problem is the fact that I didn't have a debugger for it.

YourSurrogateGod
May 10th, 2006, 02:33 AM
[que Barry White music]i speak the international language of love. the ladies love it ;) lol [/que Barry White music]

#include <iostream>
#include <love>

int main()
{
love * newObj = new love(YourSurrogateGod, ice60);

if(( * newObj).getBestLover())
{
std::cout << "YourSurrogateGod is the better lover." << std::endl;
}
else
{
std::cout << "ice60 is the worse lover." << std::endl;
}

delete newObj;

return 0;
}
On a good day, it prints out the first result, on a bad day it prints out the second, I wonder why. Do you get the same results as I do? :p

ice60
May 10th, 2006, 02:54 AM
#include <iostream>
#include <love>

int main()
{
love * newObj = new love(YourSurrogateGod, ice60);

if(( * newObj).getBestLover())
{
std::cout << "ice60 is the better lover." << std::endl;
}
else
{
std::cout << "YourSurrogateGod is the worse lover." << std::endl;
}

delete newObj;

return 0;
}
On a good day, it prints out the first result, on a bad day it prints out the second, I wonder why. Do you get the same results as I do? :p
i do now :mrgreen:

YourSurrogateGod
May 10th, 2006, 03:00 AM
i do now :mrgreen:
That crashes, you should know that :p .

psychicdragon
May 10th, 2006, 03:50 AM
I speak English and French fluently. I'm pretty good with C, Java, and Python. :KS