PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu Netbook on ASUS Eee PC 1015PE

Xitium
April 16th, 2011, 12:32 AM
My wife bought me a ASUS Eee PC 1015PE for my birthday. I'm not really a fan of Windows, especially the windows 7 starter that it came with. I have done a bit of searching and tried out the Netbook version and I like it quite a bit. I haven't had a chance to test every little thing but I think I'm pretty much sold. The only thing so far that isn't working is the "multi-touch" mouse pad.

My concern is that "what if" I want to go back to Windows 7. I know that currently during boot up I can press F9 and that will take me to the hidden restore partition. I am worried that grub will take over and not allow this bootloader to run, thus removing any hope of restoring windows without buying rescue disks. I also find that the Express Gate OS that comes with it to be quite handy for a few things and I would like to still have this as an option.

I don't want to make this a dual boot (at least for win7) but I am worried that during the install it will overwrite the rescue partition. Might not be the best place to ask this but is there a way to make a rescue cd and put it on a thumb drive so I can recover if I need too?

Anyone have any experience doing this, or tips for me? I would be very greatful. Thanks!

Xitium
April 17th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Anyone?