PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant get grub loader options need nomodeset nvidia

toalorama
April 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I have installed ubuntu by pressing F6 and setting nomodeset.
Need to install nvidia closed drivers.
On bootup dont know how to get grub options.
Have tried pressing shift.
Have tried pressing e.
Boots straight into nouveau drivers.
Any help appreciated.

drs305
April 15th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Have tried pressing e.
Any help appreciated.

Did you hold down the SHIFT key during boot to display the Grub2 menu (different from pressing and releasing, if that is what you did)? If this didn't work you could try multiple presses of the ESC key but your timing would have to be fairly good.

If you get to the menu, press 'e' to edit the first menuentry, then remove "quiet splash" and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line starting with "linux". Press CTRL-x to boot once you have added nomodeset, then install the drivers after it boots.

toalorama
April 16th, 2011, 08:49 AM
ESC eventually did the trick.
Thanks.

coffeecat
April 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
ESC eventually did the trick.
Thanks.

If pressing esc did the trick, you have legacy grub, not grub 2 which requires shift. The wording of your OP suggests that you have only recently installed Ubuntu, but you would only get legacy grub as default by installing a now-unsupported end-of-life version of Ubuntu. Which version of Ubuntu do you have?

drs305
April 16th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Actually although we don't mention it often, the ESC key function is still available in Grub 2. It's a fallback option which can still be used although holding down the SHIFT key is more reliable IMO.

There are times the keystatus check is not incorporated into the grub.cfg file so having the ESC key option is still nice to have.

coffeecat
April 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Actually although we don't mention it often, the ESC key function is still available in Grub 2. It's a fallback option which can still be used although holding down the SHIFT key is more reliable IMO.

There are times the keystatus check is not incorporated into the grub.cfg file so having the ESC key option is still nice to have.

Thanks for that. Useful to know.

drkages
October 3rd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Have tried pressing e.
Any help appreciated.

I assume that you using 11.04, can you provide more details about how you got the installation to work.

I am having a similar problem (nvidia gt240) but the nomodeset not working for me.

A better place for this discussion will be:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600807