PDA

View Full Version : So, how are you spending your summer.. Can you give me some tips?

harisund
May 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM
People, now that my exams are nearly done, I am looking forward to a summer break.. I want your suggestions and inputs on a couple of ideas I have ...

(1) I want you to tell me if there are some nice IRC channels I can hang out on to have some reall fun/serious/entertaining discussions on any topic. I particularly hang out on #ubuntu for supporting and helping people out and #ubuntu-offtopic for fun. Do you know of any? Do you know of channels for mathematics and chess that are atleast half as active as #ubuntu or #ubuntu-offtopic?

(2) Some good podcasts (linux+humor+technology. Also looking for math based and chess based podcasts)

(3) participate in some open source project. Where do I start? Rather, how do I start? I can code, no doubt. But *what* should I code? Whom should I get in touch with? I really want to do this, desperately. I wanted to participate in the Google Summer of Code but realized I actually have very little coding experience, especially when it comes to open source. I know all the technologies (or atleast have an idea of and know to work my way around) XML, JavaScript, php, C/C++, perl, python java. I know them as in I can write some code in them, but don't know what to write :( I am also looking to do some system admin work, since I am skilled in that too (have *actually* done that in school :) )

(4) Contribute with Ubuntu. I want to start editing the wiki, but it presents itself as an awesome challenge to me. Everything seems already edited. I am interested in documentation, joining Ubuntu MOTU (I do know about packaging) , joining other groups on the awesome Ubuntu wiki. I am afraid to even edit the wiki. Any ideas?

(5) What else summer plans do you all have?

Kimm
May 9th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I'll be picking strawberries, work on my new Database project (in C#) and travel around the country to examine lakes and streams...

I wanted to participate in the Google Summer of Code

So did I, but after researching for way to long on what project I wanted to work on (I desided on: The GNU Project) I noticed the FAQ and saw that you had to be 18 :-#
Next year! Next year I say! why did I have to be born so late in the year?

Contribute with Ubuntu. I want to start editing the wiki, but it presents itself as an awesome challenge to me. Everything seems already edited.

You could do that, check "Bounties" under Developers at the Ubuntu site, perhaps you can find a coding project that gets your liking?

Otherwise you can allways find something that you think you might need, is there something that annoys you and others? Solve that!

briancurtin
May 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM
go outside.

harisund
May 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Go outside.
Awesome, now why on earth didn't I think of that?

Hmm.. maybe I will give your suggestion a try :)

And thanks Kimm...

wvelez
May 9th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Come to Spain...it doesn´t rain here from May until late October...the beaches here in the south are great, so are the food, people, and above all the ambiance...

Best regards,
-will

cstudent
May 9th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Come to Spain...it doesn´t rain here from May until late October...the beaches here in the south are great, so are the food, people, and above all the ambiance...

Best regards,
-will

Can we stay with you?

nobodysbusiness
May 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I think you should learn to SCUBA dive! Take a 10 week course and get certified. The certification is life-long (although you should get a refresher if you don't use it for a few years). I went diving last weekend in an old rock quarry where they've sunk planes, busses and boats for divers to look at. It's a very geeky sport.

Durito
May 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I will be enjoying the few months of sunshine we get in Seattle and hopefully skipping down to Venezuela for a week or two, where it's warm and they speak a civilized language. ;)

endersshadow
May 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Golf.

Edit: What I'll be doing: Working in the IT department of an insurance underwriting company...and golfing...and working on my project...and...oh, way too much else....just golf.

OffHand
May 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
party, beer, babes, beach and work to pay for all that.

John.Michael.Kane
May 9th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Spending it alone. like every other day.

Biltong (Dee)
May 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Alone or lonely? There is a big difference.
However, both can be cured by walking into a hospice and volunteering to help. They'd find you something to do in a flash, and you would soon find out that you were never really alone at all.

[h2o]
May 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I'll have my first real summer work as a programmer for a large (as in really large) company, which will be really fun. Money and experience, weeeee!

Apart from that I will hopefully be able to practice kendo regulary and hopefully pass my shodan exam in august. :mrgreen:

harisund
May 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Scuba Diving. Hmmm... that sounds ultra geeky indeed.. . maybe I should give that a shot, time permitting.

Good for you h2o !

rado_london
May 9th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I am going to Bulgaria for my holiday. There I will spend 1 months of fun, beer, sex, friends and promoting Ubuntu.

briancurtin
May 10th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Alone or lonely? There is a big difference.
However, both can be cured by walking into a hospice and volunteering to help. They'd find you something to do in a flash, and you would soon find out that you were never really alone at all.
"i am alone, not lonely" - Neil McCauley from the movie Heat

harisund
May 10th, 2006, 03:11 AM
briancurtin, I like your sig. What does it mean?

enopepsoo
May 10th, 2006, 03:53 AM
My sig says what I am doing this summer! Take it away, sig:

briancurtin
May 10th, 2006, 03:58 AM
briancurtin, I like your sig. What does it mean?
its from some user who was flipping out and complaining. i just thought it was funny

Hygelac
May 10th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I am riding my bike from Toronto to Montreal. 600 km in 6 days to raise money for People with AIDS living in Toronto. Go to www.benwendt.com/bike/rally.shtml to check it out.

See you soon! :mrgreen:

University may be really cheap in Québec, but I still have to get some kind of a job to pay for it. That's my summer, apart from a side-project of installing Gentoo on one of my old machines.

nocturn
May 10th, 2006, 07:53 AM
5) I will be busy painting and fixing stuff in the house we just moved to. And my second son will be born late august or early september, so it's gonna be a busy summer.

Apart from that, I hope to find the time to upgrade my server to Dapper.