PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install on 1012 dell mini

PenguinBashr
April 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
for the past week i've been attempting to install ubuntu 10.10 (notebook edition) on my dell 1012 mini. 250g hard drive, 1 GB of ram, intel atom processor.

Every time i install i get the message "ready when you are" and it stops installing. it freezes/crashes which forces me to restart. i've left it for an hour without it moving.

any help would be appreciated. all my upgrades are already done using windows which i wiped trying to install. it's partially installed as it saves the partitions/some ubuntu files.

Enigmapond
April 15th, 2011, 04:26 PM
How are you trying to install it. Did you verify the MD5sum on what was downloaded? Have you selected "Try Ubuntu" to see if is runs ok?

PenguinBashr
April 15th, 2011, 04:32 PM
How are you trying to install it. Did you verify the MD5sum on what was downloaded? Have you selected "Try Ubuntu" to see if is runs ok?

i hit "try ubuntu" the first time as i was with my dad (big IT guy) it worked then. but i dont live with him during weekdays so i havent been able to talk to him about it. trying it still works, but i cant actually install.

i start the laptop go to boto devices, choose USB, go to ubuntu download and select "wipe entire drive and install ubuntu" from there it starts, doesn't prompt for anything except the basic name computer/make username.

its been verified or i doubt i'd be able to get that far in the download

PenguinBashr
April 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM
bump still need it resolved

Dutch70
April 16th, 2011, 12:28 AM
You're not using upper case letters in your user name are you?

PenguinBashr
April 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM
ah. i've never used ubuntu before, i figured it wouldn' make a difference. i'l ltry that then. i feel like a idiot now :|

Dutch70
April 16th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hahaa, don't feel like an idiot, it's a common mistake.