PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gubuntu?

stealth.
April 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Would use Gnome instead of Unity. Possible?

mcduck
April 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Why? Unity is running on top of Gnome, so if you use Unity you are using Gnome.

Besides, the classic Gnome desktop is also included by default and can be selected from the login screen.

edit: Or do you mean using Gnome 3 instead?

Simian Man
April 15th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 is also updating from bash 4.1 to bash 4.2. This is a ridiculous change just for changes sake - there is nothing wrong with bash 4.1, but Shuttleworth has his own agenda to push.

I'm starting OBuntu (Old Bash-untu), which will ship with bash 4.1 by default. Who's with me????

stealth.
April 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 is also updating from bash 4.1 to bash 4.2. This is a ridiculous change just for changes sake - there is nothing wrong with bash 4.1, but Shuttleworth has his own agenda to push.

I'm starting OBuntu (Old Bash-untu), which will ship with bash 4.1 by default. Who's with me????

cant tell if your serious... :-|

Version Dependency
April 15th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Gnome 2 is dead. You can use it in 11.04 (select Ubuntu Classic at login) but it won't be around forever. Don't like Unity...of Gnome Shell? Check out KDE, or XFCE, or LXDE, or Openbox, or Enlightenment, or...well, you get the idea.

SecretCode
April 15th, 2011, 07:59 PM
"Gubuntu" is too close to "Goobuntu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu)" (not to mention the defunct "Gobuntu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobuntu)")

polardude1983
April 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Well at least for me. I wouldn't mind a gubuntu. But I can't say anything right now. I've never tried Unity or any other DE other then gnome 2 that's installed in Ubuntu 10.10

3Miro
April 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM

I just checked, libjpeg was updated too. This is out of control now.

We should make NCAbuntu (never change anything-buntu).

ntzrmtthihu777
February 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Gnome 2 is dead. You can use it in 11.04 (select Ubuntu Classic at login) but it won't be around forever. Don't like Unity...of Gnome Shell? Check out KDE, or XFCE, or LXDE, or Openbox, or Enlightenment, or...well, you get the idea.
Its only dead if we let it die; its not some closed source software that when the bigwigs decide to can it only exists on old user's pcs. Unity is atrocious, and there are enough people who agree that we should not remain silent.

grahammechanical
February 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Gnome 2 is not dead, if you say so. But this thread most certainly is dead.

I want you to stay silent. Do I not have an opinion?

ntzrmtthihu777
February 19th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Of course you have an opinion, and a right to it, but said right does not allow you to infringe on the rights of others.