PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to open additonal Home folder window in 11.04?

rje_nc
April 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I have just downloaded 11.04 Beta 2. Seems quite a bit more stable compared to Beta 1.

I'm struggling with the new interface. First, How do I open more than 1 Nautilus window in 11.04? I can open the first one from the Unity sidebar, but every attempt to open another window so can can drag files only takes be back to the first window. I see the same thing when working with a flash drive. If I open the Home folder first, I can't open the device window by clicking on the device icon. If I open the device folder first, then I can open the Home folder once.

I'm also struggling to find items that were in the Preferences and System menus under 10.10. It seems I have work a lot harder to get to the tools that used to be far easier to access. This seems to be a big step back to have to search for all the tools and installed programs.

Thanks for any help. I'd welcome any Unity tutorial site or video that might be available.

Bob

Enigmapond
April 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Well I don't know Natty so the second problem I have no idea. The first however is quite simple. Either right-click in the side bar on what you want to open and choose open in other window or tab OR an easier way is just to hit F3 and you will get a extra pane you can direct anywhere. (This assumes they haven't done strange things to nautilus in 11.04)

Good Luck!

leandromartinez98
April 15th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Yes! I downloaded Unity now to test and that is a serious design issue!

You have unclick your current nautilus window, so that it is not "active". Then, clicking on the icon at the side bar will open a new nautilus windows. Otherwise, it will bring to top the nautilus windows you already have (on top, by the way). This is horrible. To open a second instance of any application you are using you need to click into the desktop, or in any other application, and then click on the launcher. I don't imagine how many clicks I need if the application is maximized...

Also, I found that searching for any application which is not in the launcher very cumbersome. The only practical way to find any application is to type its name. Therefore, if one does not know the name of the application that does something (as, for instance, controls visual effects), one needs to search over an enormous list which, by the way, took me some time to realise how to show it at all.

My first impresions on unity were good (from videos on the net). My second impresion is very bad. The choice of confusing the minimization with the launch of a new instance of the same application is only reasonable if one does not want multitasking at all!

leandromartinez98
April 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Actually, it is worse. Right-clicking on the launcher does not ever allows you to open a new instance of the application. It does not work for LibreOffice Writer, for instance. The only way I see for libreoffice is to, inside the application, chose to open a new empty document.

For nautilus it does not work either. I simply don't know how to open two nautilus windows. I also don't know how to open to Terminal windows, also I did it before some way. Sorry, if a search again the terminal application and click the "root" icon, it opens. But I cannot open two terminals from the launcher.

Really, I'm quite a geek. There is no way I can install this interface for my parents. It will drive them crazy.

Ps. Yes, application-specific ways of opening new windows exist (Control-N for nautilus), or going to File->new window, something like that. But the launcher behavior is horrible.

rje_nc
April 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Clicking in the desktop and then the Unity icon in Beta 2 just goes back to the previous Nautilus window. There is no option to open a new window as I see for Firefox when I right click the icon.

I've figured out how to get to the equivalent of the old Preferences or System menus. It takes about 3 times the number of mouse clicks compared to 10.10, but the same tools are there. Themes and Tweeks is the old Preferences menu. Open the top search screen, click More Applications, select Themes & Tweeks or System, then expand the Installed Apps section to see the list of tools or options.

I'm at a loss to understand how this is more productive...

------

I forgot about the Control-N behavior in Nautilus. This will allow me to at least get things done. Thanks!

wojox
April 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Press Super (Windows key) and you see the numbers come up.
Then Shift + number will open a second instance.

rje_nc
April 15th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Press Super (Windows key) and you see the numbers come up.
Then Shift + number will open a second instance.

???

When I press the Super key (Windows key) on my laptop I just get the shortcuts. What numbers are you talking about?

David_UK
April 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Have Unity on my 10.10 netbook.

Nautilus: CTRL+T to open a second tab. Most useful shortcut ever....

David_UK
April 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Also, I found that searching for any application which is not in the launcher very cumbersome. The only practical way to find any application is to type its name.

If it's the same as Unity in 10.10: Once found and open, the icon for an app will be in the launcher. Right-click and 'keep in launcher' to maintain your favourite icons. Click and drag launcher up/down to get to icons off the screen.
Not the answer to your issue, but useful to know....

wojox
April 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
???

When I press the Super key (Windows key) on my laptop I just get the shortcuts. What numbers are you talking about?

When you press the Super key does the panel not show up and contain numbers on the icons?

rje_nc
April 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Nope, no numbers anywhere on the screen.

wojox
April 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Nope, no numbers anywhere on the screen.

Hold it down for three seconds?

rje_nc
April 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Hold it down for three seconds?

That did it! Thanks for the tip. Seems easier to just Control-N while in the first Nautilus window.

So it takes three fingers together to open an additional instance. What genius thought that was a good usability decision?

But honestly, overall this looks WAY better and more stable than Beta 1. I think I need get past the "newness" and give it an honest trial. I look forward to seeing how it would work on my Eee-900A netbook. The additional usable screen space would be a plus on the netbook screen.

MissEileen
April 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
worked for me too (thanks!), but I agree with Leandro; this is way too cumbersome :confused:

feliscatus
October 31st, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hi, perhaps I missed something but the solution proposed does not allow you to open a new Home folder window in a different workspace. You can only use this option if you are in the same workspace as an already-opened Home folder, and all it does is give you a new window on the same workspace.

I want a Nautilus window open in each of my workspaces because I often need to be coding and browsing in 4 separate places on my computer at once. There is no right-click -> New option for the Home folder as there is for Firefox.

Can someone please re-open this thread or should I start a new one?

This is a major weakness in 11.04.

Steeperton
October 31st, 2011, 05:55 PM
Middle click the mouse on the launcher ;)

tamerucar
December 3rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Middle click the mouse on the launcher ;)