PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install help with Ubuntu 10.10

Jriddle512
April 15th, 2011, 01:45 AM
i have tried to install the desktop Ubuntu 10.10 twice and ran into the same issue both times.

I get the following error message after waiting around five minutes staring at the word "Ubuntu" with five dots beneath it (progress bar???)

[ 144.510543] vt596_smbus 0000:00:7.4:SMBus:Error: Host SMBus controller not enabled! - Upgrade BIOS or use force = 1

I have no idea how to "Enable" this SMBus Controller. If you can help i would greatly appreciate it.

I have the Phoenix BIOS 3.5.
AMD Athlon Processor.
Santa-Fe KM Motherboard.

My computer is KIA without an OS!!! Please help.

mörgæs
April 15th, 2011, 09:04 AM
i have tried to install the desktop Ubuntu 10.10 twice and ran into the same issue both times.

I get the following error message after waiting around five minutes staring at the word "Ubuntu" with five dots beneath it (progress bar???)

[ 144.510543] vt596_smbus 0000:00:7.4:SMBus:Error: Host SMBus controller not enabled! - Upgrade BIOS or use force = 1

I have no idea how to "Enable" this SMBus Controller. If you can help i would greatly appreciate it.

I have the Phoenix BIOS 3.5.
AMD Athlon Processor.
Santa-Fe KM Motherboard.

My computer is KIA without an OS!!! Please help.

So did you upgrade the BIOS?

By the way, please don't double-post.

Jriddle512
April 16th, 2011, 11:40 PM
So did you upgrade the BIOS?

By the way, please don't double-post.

i have submitted for an update from BIOS Update Plus but its going on two days with no download link or email.

mörgæs
April 17th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Good, let's hear how it works on a new BIOS.

After this, the alternate install ISO is worth trying rather than the classic one.
http://www.releases.ubuntu.com/