PDA

View Full Version : little disappointed in Ubuntu (Linux in general)

hunterkasy
April 14th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Have been using Linux (Ubuntu) since 9.10. I have Ubuntu on all of my computers and on most of my families computers. Well the problem I am having is, since I went to all Ubuntu I have way to much time on my hands. you see with Windows (I am not bashing, I do Like Microsoft and Windows) I always kept busy either with viruses or BSOD registry errors updating the system and spending so much fun and enjoyable time looking up and updating all of the third party packages. (the good old days) I am not going to go into it with drivers, but so much fun. But now with Ubuntu, I am spending my days staring at the wall because of Ubuntu all of my fun times went away, for some reason Linux developers didn't think we were having fun keeping a Windows computer up and running. but I enjoyed doing the same thing over and over example, my dad always wanted to open up a attachment in his email or click on a link on FB even when he didn't know who it was from. now Ubuntu took all the fun away because it pretty much takes care of itself. pretty much virus free, no registry to play with. detects all hardware and installs the drivers for me. now their is nothing for me to do. Now I have extra time on my hands to do more house work. THANKS UBUNTU!!!!!

with everything I said I love Ubuntu it has been the best switch I have ever made

Johnsie
April 14th, 2011, 10:33 PM
lol

TeoBigusGeekus
April 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Boredom detected.
Switch to Gentoo.
Never be bored again....

Thewhistlingwind
April 14th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Move on to kernel hacking/Actual development, never be bored again.

hunterkasy
April 14th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Move on to kernel hacking/Actual development, never be bored again.

I am not smart enough for that. I would like to learn, but I am to dumb right now.

el_koraco
April 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM
well, then put up a local network, configure a file and print server or something. there's always fun to be had.

hunterkasy
April 14th, 2011, 11:08 PM
well, then put up a local network, configure a file and print server or something. there's always fun to be had.

I already have a local network, that is running a firewall server (smoothwall)

speedwell68
April 14th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I already have a local network, that is running a firewall server (smoothwall)

How about a proxy then?

TeoBigusGeekus
April 14th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Ok then...
I have something for you.
1) Learn how to program
2) Make me a FOSS 3D CAD/BIM application
3) ???
4) Kisses and hugs from me. Not sure about profit.

hunterkasy
April 14th, 2011, 11:13 PM
How about a proxy then?

smoothwall has a built in proxy

ImDougy
April 14th, 2011, 11:15 PM
listen to teobigusgeekus
try to install gentoo
give up b4 even getting to the partitioning
throw computer at wall

gentoo says: u mad? O_O

TeoBigusGeekus
April 14th, 2011, 11:18 PM
http://www.nyblom.org/pub/gentoo.png
This

WRDN
April 14th, 2011, 11:18 PM
sudo rm -f [important file]

Have fun ;)

On a more serious note, theres all sorts of things you could do.
As others have suggested, you could setup file/print servers etc.

Personally, I've got an old IBM machine with Ubuntu 9.04 server edition on it. It's great fun installing new stuff to my site and playing around with relevant configuration files etc etc.

Thewhistlingwind
April 14th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I am not smart enough for that. I would like to learn, but I am to dumb right now.

My personal opinion, bull, a 5th grader can do it. (http://www.briggs.net.nz/log/writing/snake-wrangling-for-kids/)

Yes, it's for little kids, yes, it's not kernel hacking, but I guarantee that waiting won't help your case much, learning python will.

earthpigg
April 15th, 2011, 02:32 AM
My personal opinion, bull, a 5th grader can do it. (http://www.briggs.net.nz/log/writing/snake-wrangling-for-kids/)

Yes, it's for little kids, yes, it's not kernel hacking, but I guarantee that waiting won't help your case much, learning python will.

that is great. im gonna put that in the hands of my teenage brother.

i've always agreed with your point, too, and posted numerous times about it.