PDA

View Full Version : Hello Kubuntu..

Shmantiv_Radio
April 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
..goodbye Ubuntu. I'm so sick of 2 things. Dragging into a places folder, and pushing the pointer to the left (instinctively, to get it out the way when reading/watching webpage content) invoking this years most promising entry for the world's most useless dock.

Here's a thought Canonical, PUSH THE LEFT HAND CORNER TO INVOKE THE DOCK!!!

Sorry for the caps but this thing has driven me nuts. Horrible design without any obvious way to change it.

Fail.

el_koraco
April 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Ccsm, Unity plugin...

Shmantiv_Radio
April 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Ccsm, Unity plugin...

Omg thank you <3

Google showed 0 for this.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Ccsm, Unity plugin...

..or maybe not (-_-')

It still shows if you put the cursor anywhere near the left edge, even after setting the Unity plugin to top left reveal.

SeijiSensei
April 14th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Just a warning that if you push the mouse cursor into the upper-left-hand corner in KDE 4.x, you'll see a zoomed version of your desktop with all active applications.

Simian Man
April 14th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Just a warning that if you push the mouse cursor into the upper-left-hand corner in KDE 4.x, you'll see a zoomed version of your desktop with all active applications.

Yes but at least that behavior can be configured. Unlike Unity/Gnome 3, the KDE devs don't assume the defaults they like will be great for everybody :).

3Miro
April 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I agree with the OP. Unity needs a way to invoke the Dock from hiding AND doesn't involve the keyboard.

You can set the dock to come out with a key shortcut, but you have to be abale to do it with the mouse only. Moving the mouse to the left corner seems like the "natural" thing to do.

el_koraco
April 14th, 2011, 07:49 PM
..or maybe not (-_-')

It still shows if you put the cursor anywhere near the left edge, even after setting the Unity plugin to top left reveal.

did you try turning it off and on? :D

el_koraco
April 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I agree with the OP. Unity needs a way to invoke the Dock from hiding AND doesn't involve the keyboard.

You can set the dock to come out with a key shortcut, but you have to be abale to do it with the mouse only. Moving the mouse to the left corner seems like the "natural" thing to do.

that was the default behavior until about a week ago. why they changed it, i do not know. i think the general idea is to let the dock be moved to the right or bottom, and be able to specify an "invocation" point or something.

Shmantiv_Radio
April 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM
did you try turning it off and on? :D

Lol. I even restarted the machine ;D

weasel fierce
April 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Thats okay. Kubuntu is totally awesome :)

marl30
April 14th, 2011, 08:34 PM

I always turn that off immediately after I install KDE. It's annoying especially when playing a game in full screen.

Linye
April 14th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Here its invoked from top left hand corner and left side by default. I change it to the bottom left corner but still the top left corner remains and it does not have a delay.

el_koraco
April 14th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Lol. I even restarted the machine ;D

Dunno what to say, as i don't use Unity here. You might wanna check out launchpad for bug reports, and file one if it isn't there. What i do know is that the changes to the "behavior" were added not 10 days ago, so i suppose bugs are expected. Unless they're features :D

christoph411
April 15th, 2011, 01:46 AM
If you want turn off having the dock appear when you push up against the left side of the screen, just go to the control center (system settings), and under personal, there is an option called "launcher & menus", check touches top left of screen, done! :p

wolfen69
April 15th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Isn't choice great? Have fun with whatever floats your boat.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_afk-Egip2qY/TOauG_pELWI/AAAAAAAADXg/8edv2ZU2cNg/s400/choice.jpg

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 15th, 2011, 03:36 AM
You could always use Gnome Classic with an alternative dock like AWN or Docky.

sffvba[e0rt
April 15th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Odd, having used natty now since Alpha 3 I have not once invoked the bar when going to close a full screen window...:confused:

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM
You could use Kunity. :D

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5579/kunity2.png

michael-wd21
April 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Isn't choice great? Have fun with whatever floats your boat.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_afk-Egip2qY/TOauG_pELWI/AAAAAAAADXg/8edv2ZU2cNg/s400/choice.jpg

Sorry I have to pull you up on this piece of DoubleSpeak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublespeak).

It's not choice when the choice you already made is taken away from you. That's forced changed.

As it happens the available alternatives are pretty good (I've gone the Xubuntu route) but please this politically charged historical revisionism you are trying to pull where the removal of the option everyone is happy with is somehow choice is transparent and sickening!

jerenept
April 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Coughsabayon (http://sabayon.org/)coughcough