PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu thumbdrive to clean Windows of virus/malware?

RotorRick
April 14th, 2011, 05:47 PM
my friend has a WindowsXP computer that badly needs to be disinfected. Basically his anti-virus ran out six months ago, but he didn't tell me, and I suspect he's been on the internet with basically no or just little protection.

I have heard that you can use Ubuntu on a thumbdrive to clean Windows of virus/malware...how would I go about doing so?

I just installed a persistent Ubuntu10.10 on a large thumbdrive:
What/where do I get the programs that can clean Windows viruses from inside a Ubuntu booted straight from the USB drive?
Any tips for doing the cleaning and scanning? Or checks afterward?

After showing him Ubuntu, he may decide to try it out, he's liked what I've been able to tell him about so far! Thanks!

wolfen69
April 15th, 2011, 03:54 AM
You would need something like clamav for this. I believe there is a clamav live cd or something.

Better yet, I would just reinstall windows so I would know the pc is 100% virus free. You can spend more time trying to scan and fix a windows machine than the time it takes to reinstall. I have a couple cd's with like 150,000 drivers, so it's no biggie to reinstall after backing up files to an external drive. I use an ubuntu live cd to do the backup.

Rubi1200
April 15th, 2011, 06:37 AM
There are definitely options for cleaning an infected Windows installation.

See here for more:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/12/11/13-antivirus-rescue-cds-software-compared-in-search-for-the-best-rescue-disk/

bodhi.zazen
April 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I think using Linux to clean Windows is a poor choice and will give you limed options.

Best way of cleaning windows is to either use the windows tools or performing a fresh install (or restore from known good backup) and restoring your data.

fremantle
April 16th, 2011, 01:11 AM
try gnomecore.eu