PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I think I want to make a shell script for something (specific)

ClientAlive
April 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi,

I'm pretty new to Linux and have been following a book to help me learn the command line. Recently I read about two commands:

cp

and

cp -i

I don't understand why anyone would want to use just "cp" since you could accidentally do something you would regret.

I was thinking it would be good to make a shell script that makes "cp" equal to "cp -i" so that if I ever forgot to include the "-i" it would save my but.

If this line of thinking seems wrong to you please tell me its wrong and I'll forget it. I don't have as much experience as you do; and, just because something seems good to me doesn't mean it is.

Otherwise I was hoping to get the code to make the shell script.

Also: there might be other things like this that I don't know about but would really save my but if I forgot to modify the command. But not if its way too much stuff please. I can understand simple things now like "cp" and "mkdir" and "rmdir", etc but some things would be way over my head.

Thanks
Jake

Vaphell
April 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
open .bashrc
you can find aliases there
simply add your own

aliases work like simple substitution
for example
alias grep='grep --color=auto'
you type grep <something>, then grep is replaced with the value of alias (grep --color=auto) and then executed (grep --color=auto <something>)

aliases are great for simple stuff, if your custom 'device' needs to be smarter than that then you need scripts

ClientAlive
April 14th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Ok. Thaks.