PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Could not initialise the Package Information

cressrt
April 14th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I have a "Stop Sign" error message occurred and could not find this within current posts; the error is:

Could not initialise the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initialising the package information.

Please report this bug for the 'update-manager' package and try to include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick-security_main_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

This also occurs when trying to run the Package Manager and the Software Centre will not open.
Any help would be appreciated.

TeoBigusGeekus
April 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Rename the lists directory

sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists /var/lib/apt/lists_old
clean up the apt cache

sudo apt-get clean
and try again.

cressrt
April 14th, 2011, 04:50 PM
OK that has worked, but not totally. The Stop sign is still there, the Update Manager, Package Manager and Software Centre all open; however when I check for update the following error occurs:

An unhandled error occured

There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks. Please report this error at http://launchpad.net/aptdaemon/+filebug and retry.

With Details of:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 778, in simulate
lock.lists_lock.acquire()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/lock.py", line 66, in acquire
process = get_locking_process_name(self.path)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/lock.py", line 83, in get_locking_process_name
with open(lock_path,"r") as fd_lock_read:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/apt/lists/lock'

?