PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will these bugs be fixed in Natty?

higashi
April 14th, 2011, 06:31 AM
While using ubuntu10.10 on my gateway laptop, I've noticed some compatibility issues:

-Brightness issues. When using newer kernels, my screen is completely dark. I need to close it and open it again just to be able to see things (and i don't think even that works on the newest one). No matter what kernel I use, I'm never able to adjust the brightness (the brightness bar appears but nothing actually changes).

-Mousepad multitouch doesn't work. Enabling multitouch doesn't do anything, even though I do have a multitouch mousepad.

-Sound output issues. When I plug in earphones, sound plays through them but doesn't stop playing through the speakers. That means that everytime i want to listen to something through earphones, I need to go to the sound preferences and manually change the output to "Analog Headphones".

I'm really looking forward to the next release of ubuntu, but I guess it's not worth upgrading if it won't be usable. I can get by without multitouch and even without fixing the sound thing, but I don't think I can do much without being able to see anything on my screen.

Will these bugs be fixed in the next release? I would be so upset knowing that the new ubuntu is out and I can't use it. :(

tgm4883
April 14th, 2011, 06:34 AM
While using ubuntu10.10 on my gateway laptop, I've noticed some compatibility issues:

-Brightness issues. When using newer kernels, my screen is completely dark. I need to close it and open it again just to be able to see things (and i don't think even that works on the newest one). No matter what kernel I use, I'm never able to adjust the brightness (the brightness bar appears but nothing actually changes).

-Mousepad multitouch doesn't work. Enabling multitouch doesn't do anything, even though I do have a multitouch mousepad.

-Sound output issues. When I plug in earphones, sound plays through them but doesn't stop playing through the speakers. That means that everytime i want to listen to something through earphones, I need to go to the sound preferences and manually change the output to "Analog Headphones".

I'm really looking forward to the next release of ubuntu, but I guess it's not worth upgrading if it won't be usable. I can get by without multitouch and even without fixing the sound thing, but I don't think I can do much without being able to see anything on my screen.

Will these bugs be fixed in the next release? I would be so upset knowing that the new ubuntu is out and I can't use it. :(

That depends. They have zero chance of being fixed if you don't file a bug for each one on launchpad.

higashi
April 14th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Alright, I'm reporting the brightness and sound bugs (waiting for the launchpad pages to load) but I don't know how to do the mousepad one. There's no package to report for it, and it doesn't fall under any of the categories in the ubuntu-bug window.
Any suggestions?

tgm4883
April 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Alright, I'm reporting the brightness and sound bugs (waiting for the launchpad pages to load) but I don't know how to do the mousepad one. There's no package to report for it, and it doesn't fall under any of the categories in the ubuntu-bug window.
Any suggestions?

You could file it against the Ubuntu project

mörgæs
April 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Before reporting you should test the daily build of 11.04 to see if the bugs are still there.

If they are, best is to report them for 11.04. The chance of getting them fixed in 10.10 is minimal.

higashi
April 16th, 2011, 05:21 AM
As it turns out, these bugs have not been fixed (or at least the brightness hasn't for sure) and I can't report them because the lack of any brightness whatsoever prevents me from being able to see the installer enough for me to get it installed.

This is extremely frustrating. Is there any way I can report the bug(s) without actually booting into 11.04? because that doesn't seem like an option as of right now.

What are the chances of these bugs actually being fixed in the near future?

EDIT: I feel like this is rather hopeless. Gateway laptops have apparently been getting black screens on ubuntu for years and it seems that nothing has been done about it. This one kernel seems to work ok, but that's about it. :\

mörgæs
April 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I am sorry to hear that it is so bad with Gateway. I don't know this brand in particular, but the general cure against a black screen is adding boot options. Have you tried that?

What you could do is to open bug reports against 10.10 in Launchpad. After that you ask in the development forum
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394
if anyone could confirm the bugs in 11.04 (explaining why you can't do it yourself).

higashi
April 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Yeah I've tried all sorts of things to fix it but the problem isn't exactly that the screen is black. If i look really closely, I can see my login screen... but there's no light coming from the screen at all.

& Alright I'll give that a shot. Thanks for all your help :)