PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Freezing and Fading!

Armen115
April 14th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Hi, I am a new user of Ubuntu, it is my very first day trying it out. I downloaded the lastest version and burned it onto a dvd. I have 2 problems. 1 is that my installation keeps freezing at any time. I finally managed to get this to work and installed it fully but them after a few seconds of using it it froze. I did this twice until my second problem came up. My laptop now doesnt work because right when i turn it on the screen goes bad and fades white, then black, then it stays choppy with lines. It is unusable.

I am using:
Laptop with latest ubuntu
Toshiba Satellite p10
It is dual core and uses the GeForce FX go5600
I originally had a dual boot with xp but during installation made my whole disk Ubuntu.

All help appreciated, thanks so much!

Hedgehog1
April 14th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Hi, I am a new user of Ubuntu, it is my very first day trying it out. I downloaded the lastest version and burned it onto a dvd. I have 2 problems. 1 is that my installation keeps freezing at any time. I finally managed to get this to work and installed it fully but them after a few seconds of using it it froze. I did this twice until my second problem came up. My laptop now doesnt work because right when i turn it on the screen goes bad and fades white, then black, then it stays choppy with lines. It is unusable.

I am using:
Laptop with latest ubuntu
Toshiba Satellite p10
It is dual core and uses the GeForce FX go5600
I originally had a dual boot with xp but during installation made my whole disk Ubuntu.

All help appreciated, thanks so much!

This is not the introduction we wanted you to have to Ubuntu.

First a little debugging is in order.

If you use the LiveCD (well, LiveDVD in your case) and select the 'TRY' option, does your laptop Display work correctly in that situation?

Also, if you have the XP install CD or XP recovery CD, does the laptop display work properly from that?

The answer to these questions will get us rolling.

The Hedge

:KS

p.s. If you still have the Windows sticker on your laptop with the Activation code and access to **anybodies** XP install CD, we can help you reinstall XP.

Armen115
April 14th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Well actually Ive had a past experience with the graphics/video card on the laptop, even when running windows. I think its cause I have not installed any video card driver, (none worked ive drived like 20 different drivers and methods of installation)

But yea during windows it would work and display okay just with weird lines here and there, i used it like that for 6 months before I tried installing ubuntu. So yes, it will most likely work with an xp cd.

Thanks

Hedgehog1
April 15th, 2011, 01:27 AM
But yea during windows it would work and display okay just with weird lines here and there, i used it like that for 6 months before I tried installing ubuntu. So yes, it will most likely work with an xp cd. Thanks

The inquiry was not a theoretical one. The weird lines 'here and there' are often the sign of (1) Failing display or (2) Failing GPU (Video Card). I am trying to determine if you re experiencing the next stage in hardware failure by asking you to try the XP CD and see if it still works Now. The same with running the LiveCD/LiveUSB - does the generic video driver used by the LiveCD/LiveUSB also show the same bad video symptoms Now.

I need you to work with me to try to debug this.

The Hedge

:KS