PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk Full!

pbhill
April 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Something has rapidly filled up my hard drive. I have a 14 GB partition for root that only had 9 GB used the other day. Now it is full! Nothing has been installed to my knowledge. What is happening?

jwcalla
April 14th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Have you opened the Disk Usage Analyzer to check directory sizes?

Krytarik
April 14th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Also see this guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670

Greetings.

KegHead
April 14th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Hi!

Somethings you could try:

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get autoremove

You could also use bleachbit and/or Ubuntu tweak.

KegHead

11.04b2/classic/2.6.39-999

pbhill
April 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I think I figured it out.... my backups were supposed to go to an external drive (/media/USB STORAGE/Backups) however, since that drive is mounted on /media it was somehow filling up my root partition. Not sure how that works!
I resized my root partition and reinstalled. How can I keep backups only my USB hard drive?

vanadium
April 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM
There was no need to reinstall, and there was no need to increase the system partition size.

It is not because your drive is mounted in /media that "it" was somehow filling your root partition. Rather, there was some mistake in the backup procedure, which did not write where you want it to write. This makes me wonder what backup procedure you use: must have been one you ran as root.

pbhill
April 14th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I use Lucky Backup, which runs as root. See the attached screenshot that shows my configuration.
With the fresh install root uses only 4.3 GB.

SeijiSensei
April 14th, 2011, 06:35 PM
If the external drive isn't mounted when the backup takes place, then the files will be written to the root filesystem. I don't know if you can modify "Lucky Backup" or wrap it in a shell script, but you should add a check for whether the drive is mounted before continuing like this:

if [ "$(mount | grep '/media/USB')" != "" ]
then
run the backup
elif
mail -s 'Backup Failed' you@example.com
fi

You'll need to install the package bsd-mailx to use the "mail" command.

pbhill
April 14th, 2011, 09:10 PM
If the external drive isn't mounted when the backup takes place, then the files will be written to the root filesystem. I don't know if you can modify "Lucky Backup" or wrap it in a shell script, but you should add a check for whether the drive is mounted before continuing like this:

if [ "$(mount | grep '/media/USB')" != "" ]
then
run the backup
elif
mail -s 'Backup Failed' you@example.com
fi

You'll need to install the package bsd-mailx to use the "mail" command.

Thanks! I'll try this.