PDA

View Full Version : I want to write a research paper about Linux, but...

TheNerdAL
April 14th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I don't know what about Linux I should write about.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Dyzphagia
April 14th, 2011, 12:32 AM
How Linux isn't just for the nerdy kids that sit in the corner and talk about how big Wonder Woman's bust is and how rapidly it is growing as an independent operating system for the average user?

TheNerdAL
April 14th, 2011, 12:34 AM
How Linux isn't just for the nerdy kids that sit in the corner and talk about how big Wonder Woman's bust is and how rapidly it is growing as an independent operating system for the average user?

Too long. P:

Aquix
April 14th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Write about how the people use linux without being aware of it since they have osx or windows desktops. Like servers, internet in general, phones, routers.. ;)

Dyzphagia
April 14th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Too long. P:

Could just do the second part?

TheNerdAL
April 14th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I think I'll just right about how Linux affects the world? probably?

Enigmapond
April 14th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Write about how the people use linux without being aware of it since they have osx or windows desktops. Like servers, internet in general, phones, routers.. ;)

Right and include the list of Major Corporations and Institutions use Linux..i.e the US Post Office, etc...

23dornot23d
April 14th, 2011, 12:40 AM
That Linux is now the best system for everybody to get involved in .....

Because it brings people together to communicate and help each other with no boundaries of race / class or gender .....

Because it makes people aware that free is so much more rewarding ...... because all in all we all like helping and our only rewards are someone saying thank you .....

Because its part of the big mystery ...... how can it work ..... without someone ultimately controlling everything we all do ....

Not sure really ....... lols ...... there must be something interesting about linux ....... for us all to come on here every night to see whats new ...... :confused:

uRock
April 14th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I think I'll just write about how Linux affects the world? probably?
You can write about how Linux has much more friendly forums for finding answers when things break.

Iowan
April 14th, 2011, 12:50 AM
You can write about how Linux has much more friendly forums for finding answers when things break.

:shock: Things break???

(Sorry - off-topic)

Check out "The cathedral and the bazaar".

uRock
April 14th, 2011, 12:55 AM
:shock: Things break???

Hardware, flash, updates, pencils and the occasional OSI layer 8 breakage, which usually causes the most damage(I know because I've done it).:P

TheNerdAL
April 14th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I'm new to writing research papers and I need this to graduate. :(

Dyzphagia
April 14th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I'm new to writing research papers and I need this to graduate. :(

You'll be fine, I'm sure. It's a shame though, we can't do what we did in Kindergarten. Specifically finger-paint a picture and call it your paper. Then I would say finger-paint Tux

sisco311
April 14th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I don't know what about Linux I should write about.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Homework. Thread closed. Ooops, I'm not a mod. :)
/joke

Your question is vague. If you want an answer please elaborate it.

Why do you want to write your term paper about Linux?

What do you know already about Linux? And so on...

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 14th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Linux and the various distros provide and excellent opportunity for learning. There are FOSS applications that provide opportunities to learn through hands-on experience without the expense of purchasing proprietary software. There are FOSS applications for programming, service oriented architecture, virtualization, cloud computing, and so on.

Maybe you could do some research in this area and write about the way the use of Linux and FOSS can support a lifetime of continuing education.

SeijiSensei
April 14th, 2011, 02:49 AM
How about a survey of your classmates asking them if they've heard of Linux, what if anything they know about it, and what they use computers for? What proportion of them could be using Linux if only they knew it existed? One other area of interest is the replacement of desktop computing with mobile devices. How many of your classmates actually use a computer at all for things like chatting, Facebook, and web browsing? Android users? iPhone users?

Wearing my hat as a former statistics teacher, a random sample of 25 people would be a good start, fifty would be plenty.

XubuRoxMySox
April 14th, 2011, 03:19 AM
How about a survey of your classmates asking them if they've heard of Linux, what if anything they know about it, and what they use computers for? What proportion of them could be using Linux if only they knew it existed?

Yeah! Once I discovered Linux, my first question was, "How come I've never heard of this before?"

Answer that question and you'll give Linux a ginormous boost!

-Robin
How I Discovered Linux (http://dixiedancer.posterous.com/linux-windows-computers-geeks-kids)

Hur Dur
April 14th, 2011, 03:30 AM
A brief history of the Linux kernel. You could also add in what inspired Linus to create it, how Linux is used everyday all over the world, etc.

Thewhistlingwind
April 14th, 2011, 03:40 AM
How about a survey of your classmates asking them if they've heard of Linux, what if anything they know about it, and what they use computers for? What proportion of them could be using Linux if only they knew it existed? One other area of interest is the replacement of desktop computing with mobile devices. How many of your classmates actually use a computer at all for things like chatting, Facebook, and web browsing? Android users? iPhone users?

Wearing my hat as a former statistics teacher, a random sample of 25 people would be a good start, fifty would be plenty.

As a follow-up, you could talk about where linux is used but most people involved don't know it. EG. Android being linux.

Spr0k3t
April 14th, 2011, 03:43 AM
A research paper I put together was: "Total Cost of Operations". I dove into a good sample of Fortune 500 companies and spoke with CTOs as well as their hench... underlings. The number companies from those that responded which used Linux as a core element of their daily tasks/production was rather amazing. I took the information further and applied it to how a company could easily reduce their anual TCO (Total Cost of Operations) just by using Linux for some of the main tasks. I got high marks on the paper and the board later asked if I would work with their CTO for implementing some of the strategies.

Later, I built more on that by applying the knowledge towards a Black Belt in Six Sigma.

Another thought... write about how OpenSource and Linux could potentially change the government.

Copper Bezel
April 14th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I thought TCO meant Total Cost of Ownership?

To the OP, what kind of course is this? What level? What's the assignment?

Things break???

If you're not breaking it, you're not playing with it hard enough. = )

samalex
April 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Check out "The cathedral and the bazaar".

I was about to suggest the same thing, that and Revolution OS. I think a research paper on the business aspect of Linux and Open Source software in general might make for a great paper. Going into how making a core product open source and charging for support as the business model or taking a closed source application and rolling it into the open source community for continued support as opposed to it disappearing.

But check out Amazon and search for 'open source business model' to find TONS of great books on the topic. Contrary to what many people think a small company with a great software package can make a good living with their core product being open source and freely available -- or at lest licensed very inexpensively.

An example of this is Pentaho (http://www.pentaho.com/) but there are many other companies in this arena. If you went this route for the paper I bet you can get some execs at these companies to give you some great interviews.

leviathan8
April 14th, 2011, 05:26 PM
You can also inspire from this website: http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

renzokuken
April 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM

this should be.....

How Linux isn't just for the nerdy kids that sit in the corner and talk about how big Wonder Woman's bust is and how rapidly it is growing ......
last part of the sentence was unnecessary

Dyzphagia
April 14th, 2011, 06:43 PM
this should be.....

I'd read both of those research papers

Dustin2128
April 14th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I read it as wonder woman's bust rapidly growing as an independent operating system for the average user

renzokuken
April 14th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I read it as wonder woman's bust rapidly growing as an independent operating system for the average user

haha, i believe they're naming it Uboobtu Linux

fdrake
April 17th, 2011, 05:51 AM
explain WHY DID YOU CHOICE LINUX?. maybe that will be easier.....