PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new panel, system indicator etc in ubuntu 11.04

magnetpest2k7
April 14th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Hello all,

I usually have a system indicator and desktop switcher (to see which desktop I am working on) in my panel (in previous ubuntu releases). I really like the unity interface of the 11.04 betta but I want to have these applet in my panel is there a way to have it? since there is no option which says add to panel in 11.04.

Thanks

Copper Bezel
April 14th, 2011, 04:52 AM
No, the default desktop switcher is the only one for Unity at present and there is no system indicator, but for the latter, you might look into Conky (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6365702). This is an old guide but looks to still be accurate; notice that you'll need the second option of the delayed startup in the last step (since Unity uses Compiz.)

psilogon
April 30th, 2011, 10:37 PM
No, the default desktop switcher is the only one for Unity at present and there is no system indicator, but for the latter, you might look into Conky (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6365702). This is an old guide but looks to still be accurate; notice that you'll need the second option of the delayed startup in the last step (since Unity uses Compiz.)

No system indicator? Seriously -- It's sad that the ubuntu team considers the act of discarding all useful aspects of the Gnome panel in place of a Windows-like, unadjustable side-dock to be an upgrade. What were you guys thinking? You've made it so the normal compiz settings monitor conflicts with the default system configuration; you've removed all functional panel applications, like the system monitor, and replaced it with a kludged child-like UI. I had to overwrite the "panel-shadow.png" file with a blank image just so, when I zoom the desktop, X doesn't go berserk, ceasing to refresh any of the panels or windows.

Next time Ubuntu decides to assume what "upgrade" means for the whole community, it should pause for a moment and dispatch a small survey to its users presenting the alternatives.

Any now you tell me to look into Conky. Like I want to spend another hour AGAIN setting up a conkyrc file. I think I and others are past the point of wanting to fuss with rc files. Ubuntu shouldn't have ripped out the core of what makes Linux user interfaces distinctive, which is the rational inclusion of utilities which retain the technical and scientific aspects of computing in contrast to the popular trend to reduce the whole system to a shell-like multimedia player.

Maybe it's time to go back to Arch or Gentoo.

Krytarik
May 1st, 2011, 04:13 AM
See here if some of these indicators fit your needs, they should work for Natty, too:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/the-omg-guide-to-must-have-indicator-applets/

Greetings.

nutsy.ben
May 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
No system indicator? Seriously -- It's sad that the ubuntu team considers the act of discarding all useful aspects of the Gnome panel in place of a Windows-like, unadjustable side-dock to be an upgrade. What were you guys thinking? [...].

Next time Ubuntu decides to assume what "upgrade" means for the whole community, it should pause for a moment and dispatch a small survey to its users presenting the alternatives.

Any now you tell me to look into Conky. Like I want to spend another hour AGAIN setting up a conkyrc file. [...]Ubuntu shouldn't have ripped out the core of what makes Linux user interfaces distinctive, [...].

Maybe it's time to go back to Arch or Gentoo.

Fully agree ... Honestly, the resource manager was vital to me as it tells me when I can launch an additional applications or not.
I really consider to install a new OS. it may seem excessive, I know that this problem will be fixed in a near FUTURE but I cannot be victim at each upgrade of arbitrary choices and loose dayS of work.

Krytarik
May 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Fully agree ... Honestly, the resource manager was vital to me as it tells me when I can launch an additional applications or not.
I really consider to install a new OS. it may seem excessive, I know that this problem will be fixed in a near FUTURE but I cannot be victim at each upgrade of arbitrary choices and loose dayS of work.
Then how about "Indicator-SysMonitor" you find if you click at the link I posted earlier?

Do you guys prefer to not inform yourselves before ranting and deciding to drop an entire OS? Or am I not getting it exactly?