PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to have this command code ran automatically on startup

ccookie66
April 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hello, I have a problem with my USB port, when I plug a USB drive into the port, nothing happens. Well, I fixed it (thanks to this forum =D>) but I have to put this code in every time the computer restarts to have the USB ports work:
cd /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/
sudo sh -c 'find ./ -name "0000:00:*" -print| sed "s/\.\///">unbind'

Is there a way to make it work automatically when the computer boots up?
Thanks!

Krytarik
April 13th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I would put it into "/etc/rc.local", like this:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind

exit 0Notes:
- I combined both commands into one.
- You don't need to use "sudo" because "rc.local" is already run as root through the boot process.

ccookie66
April 14th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I would put it into "/etc/rc.local", like this:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind

exit 0Notes:
- I combined both commands into one.
- You don't need to use "sudo" because "rc.local" is already run as root through the boot process.

I'm sorry, I don't really know what to do.... :confused:

Krytarik
April 14th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I'm sorry, I don't really know what to do.... :confused:
Just open the file for editing -with root access- with this command:

gksu gedit /etc/rc.local
- copy&paste the command into it, the right position
- save/quit

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

ccookie66
April 14th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Just open the file for editing -with root access- with this command:

gksu gedit /etc/rc.local- copy&paste the command into it, the right position
- save/quit

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Ok, I did that, restarted but it still didn't make my USB ports work, I still have to put the codes in manually. Here is a screenshot of what I did: 189001

Also, here is the link where it tells me whats codes to put in: http://www.absolutelytech.com/2010/04/18/solved-unable-to-enumerate-usb-device-disabling-ehci_hcd/

April 14th, 2011, 04:15 AM
you might need sudo instead of gksu.

Krytarik
April 14th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Ok, I did that, restarted but it still didn't make my USB ports work, I still have to put the codes in manually.
Then just try it with "sh -c", although I thought it is not necessary in this application:

sh -c 'find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind'

ccookie66
April 14th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Then just try it with "sh -c", although I thought it is not necessary in this application:

sh -c 'find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind'

Nope, still nothing. :(

Krytarik
April 14th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Then try it with the full paths this time:

/usr/bin/find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |/bin/sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind

April 14th, 2011, 05:07 AM
wait a sec. @Krytarik, I dont think the # should be there on the first line of your first script, as there is nothing telling the script how to run? yes? no?

ccookie66
April 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Nope, still nothing.

wait a sec. @Krytarik, I dont think the # should be there on the first line of your first script, as there is nothing telling the script how to run? yes? no?

That maybe true, I'm just following what gets posted, not very good at terminal stuff yet...

Krytarik
April 14th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Nope, still nothing.
Please try running the modified command in a terminal if you have not already done so, to test it, with "sudo" of course.

If that works as usual, then I guess you can only run it through "Startup Applications", with this command:

gksu sh -c 'find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind'
wait a sec. @Krytarik, I dont think the # should be there on the first line of your first script, as there is nothing telling the script how to run? yes? no?That's just the so-called crunchbang, it specifies the shell in which the commands should be run.

ccookie66
April 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Please try running the modified command in a terminal if you have not already done so, to test it, with "sudo" of course.

If that works as usual, then I guess you can only run it through "Startup Applications", with this command:

gksu sh -c 'find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind'That's just the so-called crunchbang, it specifies the shell in which the commands should be run.

No, nothing. Here is a screenshot of what I did: 189065

:-s

Krytarik
April 15th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Ok, I just yet tested a similar setup. We need to modify the command a bit:

sh -c 'gksu find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind'

ccookie66
April 15th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Ok, I just yet tested a similar setup. We need to modify the command a bit:

sh -c 'gksu find /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd -name "0000:00:*" -print |sed "s/\.\///" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind'

Wow, before you replied, I thought maybe it would be fixed in Ubuntu 10.10, so I upgraded through the update tool, but half way through I got all these errors, and when I rebooted, Ubuntu would not boot up, it needed to recover or something. So, instead of going through all the trouble, I just reinstalled Ubuntu 10.04, and plugged my USB in, and it fired right up! :p That goes to show, everything happens for a reason! So problem solved! Thanks for helping me anyways. :D