PDA

View Full Version : What is your first impression?

ClientAlive
April 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I was hoping to get some response on what your first impression is when you read:

client.alive

You may be wondering why I am asking this and you may have some ideas of your own. It isn't that I'm not willing to tell what that reason is - it's just that I'm looking for objective feedback. I can let you know that it isn't insecurity or wondering what other's think of me. It is for a very practical purpose which I will disclose once I get some responses.

One last thing: Can you please give a brief explanation of your response?

Thanks so very much.

juancarlospaco
April 13th, 2011, 07:35 PM
what your first impression is when you read:

client.alive

Bacon

CraigPaleo
April 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
ClientAlive makes me think of a robot with artificial intelligence. I don't really know why. I guess it just seems like something it might say when it's first activated or woken.

ClientAlive
April 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Thank you juancarlospaco and CraigPaleo.

Elfy
April 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1728243

was my first impression

jerenept
April 13th, 2011, 07:59 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/44/Terminator1001.jpg/250px-Terminator1001.jpg

Dry Lips
April 13th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Server/Clients.
The client is alive, what about the server then?
Am I the only one who thinks about computers?

---
edit:
beaten to it

ClientAlive
April 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Ok, maybe I should have mentioned why I'm asking. I wasn't sure how to approach this and wanted to get objective input.

I'm working on my resume and considering what my email address communicates to an employer. I guess I was trying to get an idea of what a decision maker might think when he reads that on my resume. I know, or at least I'm pretty sure, I don't want to go with the standard - using my own name as my email contact. I want it to be something that does communicate something about me to that person. I realize that it's not like a hiring decision is going to be based on a persons email user name but I also know that it does say something to that employer. Everything on your resume says something (except maybe your phone number and address). Question is: what does it say and does it say what you want it to communicate.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1728243

was my first impression

You know, the funny thing is I didn't realize that the term was used in the computer industry until I came across that web page I mentioned in the post you pasted the link to. What was that, about an hour or two ago?

By the way. Yes I was trying to answer the same question for myself by that other post but it is a totally different question/ way of approaching the question.

Thanks everyone. I sure appreciate it.

Jake

Elfy
April 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'm working on my resume and considering what my email address communicates to an employer. I guess I was trying to get an idea of what a decision maker might think when he reads that on my resume. If I was still involved in employing people I would prefer to see a real name in the e-mail address. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, perhaps not.

What you put in the cv and how you come across in a covering letter and at, hopefully, any interview is what will land you a job.

My tuppence worth.

ClientAlive
April 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM
If I was still involved in employing people I would prefer to see a real name in the e-mail address. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, perhaps not.

What you put in the cv and how you come across in a covering letter and at, hopefully, any interview is what will land you a job.

My tuppence worth.

Wonderful! Thank you forestpiskie.

3Miro
April 13th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Server/Clients.
The client is alive, what about the server then?
Am I the only one who thinks about computers?

---
edit:
beaten to it

+1, that was my first though.

CraigPaleo
April 13th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Out of curiosity, what did ClientAlive mean to you when you chose it?

el_koraco
April 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
If I was still involved in employing people I would prefer to see a real name in the e-mail address. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, perhaps not.

No, you're not old-fashioned, if an employer thinks that a cute email adress is something cool, then he's a douchebag, and you don't wanna work for him in the first place.

Aquix
April 14th, 2011, 01:40 AM
The . makes me think of music tags, and .net :p

unknownPoster
April 14th, 2011, 03:01 AM
My "professional" email is actually just my first and last name in one word.

If the most distressing issue you have is what email to use on your resume, I'd think you have bigger things to worry about.

ClientAlive
April 14th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Out of curiosity, what did ClientAlive mean to you when you chose it?

I'm a survivor. I've been through a hell of a lot (as I'm sure most of us have) and I'm still alive. Client I guess represents (or represented) something generic to me. Something faceless. Until today I had no idea it was a term used in networking. I found that very interesting.

My "professional" email is actually just my first and last name in one word.

If the most distressing issue you have is what email to use on your resume, I'd think you have bigger things to worry about.

It isn't an issue of distress. It's an issue of realizing that everything one puts on their resume says something about them. Rather than just do whatever I think seems cool I thought I would solicit some feedback and advice on the issue. If the way the world works or the U.S. works, or whatever, is to use your name then it doesn't really matter what I think. I'll do things the way they're supposed to be done. That's why I asked in the first place.

I would like to find work that is actually meaningful. Something I would enjoy doing and that uses some of the hard earned skills I've acquired over the years. This is something I've never endeavored to do before. I always just took whatever job I could get - even if I wasn't suited for it or didn't enjoy the work. Of course I have to make a living but at 36 I think it's high time to start thinking about what would make me happy and that I will be able to make the greatest contribution doing.

I don't know if the skills I have are enough but I hope it's enough for a low level/ entry level position somewhere where I can learn and grow. I'm gonna try and see what happens. If it isn't enough I'll at least learn something more about what is expected and can get on with gaining more of those skills. Then I'll try again. I'll try until I get it.

Thanks for all the honest responses. That is what I really need and was hoping for.

Sincerely,
Jake

Ctrl-Alt-F1
April 14th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Definitely use your real name on your professional email. If you're worried about getting spam, or don't want to give out your real name every time you give out your email, create a spam email account. I have a spam email account that is registered under a false name, just for such circumstances.

NMFTM
April 14th, 2011, 04:11 AM
It makes me think of Keepalive.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepalive

unknownPoster
April 14th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Definitely use your real name on your professional email. If you're worried about getting spam, or don't want to give out your real name every time you give out your email, create a spam email account. I have a spam email account that is registered under a false name, just for such circumstances.

And honestly, if your real name isn't available, it would be better to stick to a simple modification of it than some version bastardized with random numbers.

For example, let's say you were John Smith and you wanted johnsmith@gmail.com. Personally I think something like jsmith would be better than johnsmith1989.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 15th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Ok, maybe I should have mentioned why I'm asking. I wasn't sure how to approach this and wanted to get objective input.

I'm working on my resume and ...

I actually make hiring decisions for the company where I work. Using an alias in an email address doesn't affect my hiring decisions one way or the other; unless, they are childish, offensive, or something of that nature. I know that not everyone can get an email address with their real name.

Be aware that someone like myself may Google on the name or email address just to see what turns up. Before you use and alias as your name in a business related email, check what may turn up in a Google search. In your case I Goggled on "clientalive@" and got hits for things like Ubuntu, Ubuntu brainstorm rating, a post about SMTP, dating services, etc. The Google search results may not be you; however, it may cause me to ask some questions.

forrestcupp
April 15th, 2011, 01:54 AM
My first thought was Short Circuit (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091949/).
"Number 5 is alive!"

I actually make hiring decisions for the company where I work. Using an alias in an email address doesn't affect my hiring decisions one way or the other; unless, they are childish, offensive, or something of that nature.
Good point. Unless you're using something very silly, like imnumberone@gmail.com, you're probably safe.

earthpigg
April 15th, 2011, 02:00 AM
using ssh as a living person, as opposed to a script.

ClientAlive
April 15th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Thanks everybody. I guess I'm sort of on the fence about this. The truth is, I want to use my alias; and, I think, for some good reasons. First off, I don't gather from any of the input I've gotten that there is anything childish or offensive about it. I understand that if that's what is expected of me I should use my real name; but, it seems to me that this comes from tradition (and that going way back).

I'm not sure how well I would fit in with a very formal, traditional type work environment though. My personality is not that way and I hope to find a place in this world where I really fit in (work place I mean). I thought that using my alias shows (to the right company/ company culture) that I would make a good fit. It says something about me - both that I would actually use an alias on my resume and what that alias actually is. I guess I think that the kind of company that would appreciate it is the kind of company I would really enjoy working at - one that I would fit right in with.

Jake

forrestcupp
April 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I thought that using my alias shows (to the right company/ company culture) that I would make a good fit. It says something about me - both that I would actually use an alias on my resume and what that alias actually is. I guess I think that the kind of company that would appreciate it is the kind of company I would really enjoy working at - one that I would fit right in with.

The honest truth is that if you're not using an alias that is childish or offensive, they're not going to give a rip what it is. It won't even stand out to them at all, unless it's in a negative way. You're not going to win anyone by a clever alias, but you won't lose them, either, unless it's childish or offensive.

Basically, it's not going to make any difference in the world, and you're extremely over analyzing this.

ClientAlive
April 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Basically, it's not going to make any difference in the world, and you're extremely over analyzing this.

Thanks forrestcupp. The truth is, it is one element among the entire resume that I am taking into consideration. Unfortunately, because this thread only addressed that, one, element, it may easily come across as though I'm hung up on this one thing. I am not. It's just that this was the one thing I wanted some feedback on. It isn't the only thing in my resume; and, I grasp that in the larger scheme of things, it does not even have much impact. It is simply one of those little details that, if one were wise, would not neglect entirely to take into consideration. I recognize that actual skills, education, job history and sometimes personal references are the real selling points and are what give me value to a company. However, I also realize that sometimes one little thing can kill it before it even gets off the ground.

There is also another practical purpose for for wanting to employ the use of an email alias.It can function as a sort of filtering device that works in two directions. If a decision maker looks at that and it turns him off, so that he would not contact me for an interview, the culture at that organization is probably not one I would fit well in anyhow. In this it is a service to us both. If a decision maker looks at that and it actually stands out to him at all (in a positive way), so that he would contact me for an interview, the culture at that organization is probably one I would fit well in and thrive. This is also a service to us both.

I don't want to work in some formal, stuffy atmosphere. I wouldn't be comfortable there and I wouldn't be liked either because it would be evident I don't fit with that type of environment. I want to work in an environment/ culture where modern ideas, color, diversity and flair are appreciated and welcome. A place where it wouldn't seem out of place for someone to have visible tatoos, wear spikes or spiked or colored hair. A place where people talk different and act different and that's ok. An email alias may not be 100% effective but it is just one more little thing that could help fine tune the perfect fit (please don't go into a discourse about how nothing is perfect, etc, etc, etc - I get it).

My real hopein this was to discover through other's feedback whether the alias I desired to use may be considered childish, offensive, or in any other way, negative. That was all. Just a very simple, uncomplicated inquiry into other's perception of something.

Personally, I feel I've found my answer and have come to believe it is, not only safe, but possibly advantageous to go ahead with an alias as the contact email on my resume (given the circumstances). I'm going to give it a try and hope for the best. I'm confident that with the skills, experience and education I possess there will be a lot of organizations that desire me. From there is just a matter of choosing one or two that seem like the best fit for my personality.

Thanks you all so much for taking the time to respond.

Sincerely,
Jake

earthpigg
April 15th, 2011, 11:38 PM
you started by saying you aren't hung up on it, then typed 4 additional paragraphs on the subject. :)

Docaltmed
April 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Zombies. It makes me think of zombies.

Canime
April 16th, 2011, 06:37 AM
It makes me think of networking.

I would personally use an email that contains your name for a resume or something similar, someone won't be able to recognize you if you use an alias on a resume. Regardless of what it communicates, you could supply that as your business name if you have one, rather than using your family name and details.

NCLI
April 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I think of a client reporting that it is alive to a server offering some kind of service, perhaps synchronization?

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I would personally use an email that contains your name for a resume or something similar, someone won't be able to recognize you if you use an alias on a resume.

Great point. You want them to remember your name more than some clever alias that they may forget who it goes with.

nothingspecial
April 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Makes me think of someone who installed an (I think) alpha version of Ubuntu, then panicked, then after a bit of advice from members here, ran with it.

Good on you :p

I probably wouldn't use nothingspecial in a cv/resume though.

I was an employer until a couple of years ago. ClientAlive would have gone in the bin (trash).

Antarctica32
April 16th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I think of a thousand sinful souls restlessly waiting for all of eternity for the day when they may once again inhabit this planet we call Earth, a day that will never come.

I also think of a man who lived in such infinite agony forever waiting on the wrong side of the gates to Heaven because of a sagacious life he lived in which he conquered all of the known universe and vanquished all his enemies to a pit in which they battled an evil dragon.

I also think of an ordinary boy who's life has no real purpose yet and one day he discovers computers. He goes to school and he can't learn all the pointless crap the teachers teach him. Yet when he goes home everyday he continues his quest for knowledge on his computer. The boy becomes one of the greatest hackers of all time. People call his world evil but the boy never did anything, It was your world that has killed hundreds of millions of innocent people the boy would say.

It also reminds me of something a dalek would say. And yes, I did completely take the third one from the Hacker's Manifesto.