PDA

View Full Version : .exe decompiler?

BlackRat90
April 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know of any good decompilers? I'm looking for something that could disassemble a .exe file so I can poke around in the source.

I want it so my friend and I can try to write a patch for the old game "Lords of the Realm 2". Were trying to patch it so the multiplayer works in ubuntu

slavik
April 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM
you are way off base. please research into this before you ask to educate yourself on the matter.

youbuntu
April 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Does anyone know of any good decompilers? I'm looking for something that could disassemble a .exe file so I can poke around in the source.

I want it so my friend and I can try to write a patch for the old game "Lords of the Realm 2". Were trying to patch it so the multiplayer works in ubuntu

"poke around in the source" is impossible, and a contradiction. Had you the source, you'd not need to de-compile the executable, kapish?

cgroza
April 14th, 2011, 02:12 AM
You can disassemble it and you will get compiled object code, good luck to get further.

unknownPoster
April 14th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Sounds like you're wanting to reverse engineer this.

Good Luck with that. It's taken ReactOS many developers and many years to get a system that still barely usable for it's intended purpose.

oopsie
April 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I did some quick googling and came up with this page. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/X86_Disassembly/Disassemblers_and_Decompilers

Though I'd be careful. I've never used any of the software linked on that page. And some of the info on that page looks like bullpoop.

Wistful
April 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Is the ".exe" you're referring to a "native executable" or a .NET executable ?

EDIT: Just read that is for an old game, so its probably native executable.

|{urse
April 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Here's a wacky notion, email the author of the software and ask if they'd be interested in letting (potentially paying, based upon your skillset and experience)you develop a linux compatible version.

stchman
April 14th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I am no expert in this matter, but if he had the Debug version of the executable it might be possible.

Since software developers don't release Debug .exe files then the OP might be OOL.

Lords of the Realm II was developed by Impression Games and distributed by Sierra. You could try to ask them if they will release the source code (I'm sure its quite extensive) to you. They might since the game is 15 years old.

zirkoni
April 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Were trying to patch it so the multiplayer works in ubuntu
Doesn't it work in DOSBox?

Ferrat
April 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
To be honest it's probably easier just to make a clone that can re-use the games resources and that way you can make all the improvements you want.

BlackRat90
April 19th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the input guys! Sorry I am a bit late to the party its been an interesting week with my family.

Anyhow...

Doesn't it work in DOSBox?
Havn't tried in DOSBox but it is a Win95 application however i might be able to dig up a dos version...

Lords of the Realm II was developed by Impression Games and distributed by Sierra. You could try to ask them if they will release the source code (I'm sure its quite extensive) to you. They might since the game is 15 years old.

I will have to definitely try this. I'm not that experienced in C (which is i bet what the game is written in), but its always worth a try. Me and my friends know enough about C collectively to perhaps get a grasp how it works.

This brings me here:

To be honest it's probably easier just to make a clone that can re-use the games resources and that way you can make all the improvements you want.

Not a bad idea, I did actually write up a VERY simple text based clone in python awhile back. I didn't get very far. However, I could try to merge the two and continue working on it and just see what happens.

Going off topic: Does anyone know the legality with building clone games using the originals resources?

|{urse
April 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM
That depends on how said resources were liscensed. You should probably just ask the owners of the property.