PDA

View Full Version : So if you have an aceraspire one....dont bother....

Adrienk
April 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Apparently, my Acer Aspire one can do full on Aero experience in Window 7 ultimate (intel gma 945 graphics chip) how ever if you have such a netbook don't bother upgrading to a distribution of linux that has gnome 3.
they are not supporting netbooks.

If any one can argue that go ahead. I would love the full gnome three richness on my opensuse.

It's sad that I can do the full aero experience in windows 7 and even vista but can't do the full gnome experience in linux....the operating system that can "run" on anything.

again if you have suggestions post them. - I am looking for help on how to get the full gnome experience on a netbook.

searchfgold6789
April 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Ubuntu has a very rich default gnome desktop, and if you want gnome 3 then you can easily install it, according to this blogger (http://blogs.gnome.org/rodrigo/2011/03/03/gnome3-on-ubuntu/). Have you tried the Ubuntu Netbook edition? It is getting rave reviews. :D
- search

Adrienk
April 13th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I have and its fugly. No offense. I had to install the desk top edition because i can't do any thing when they have so much crap cluttering up my window. I switched to open suse because A) I wanted gnome 3 (which apparently you can't do on an acer aspire one and B) because its next version wasn't shipping with god aweful unity.

How ever Gnome-shell is BASIC and nothing compared to the REAL gnome 3. I wanted the REAL gnome 3 how ever that seems to be impossible.... however I can do compiz and KDE just fine.

searchfgold6789
April 13th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Fedora 15 was just beta-released, and it features gnome 3. I have personally tried Fedora and I think it is a great and fully-featured distro, and will work great if Ubuntu and SuSE don't cut it for you. There is a netbook kernel for Fedora and other great things to enhance the netbook Fedora experience as well at fedora-netbook.com.
- search

Adrienk
April 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I think your missing the whole point of this thread.

Gnome 3 (as far as I know) CANNOT RUN ON A ACER ASPIRE ONE. again as far as I know.

if you can state that it does please....by all means....tell me how to get it running.

searchfgold6789
April 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
if you can state that it does please....by all means....tell me how to get it running.
Actually, I believe I just did. If you install Fedora 15 then it will be likely that you will be able to fully use all of gnome 3's features. If you install the netbook kernel that I recommended then it will work even better on your netbook.

qamelian
April 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I think your missing the whole point of this thread.

Gnome 3 (as far as I know) CANNOT RUN ON A ACER ASPIRE ONE. again as far as I know.

Yes it can. I'm running Gnome 3 in Ubuntu 11.04 beta on my Aspire One 522 with almost no issues (other than tha occasional hiccup one would expect from newly released software). It's mostly very stable and didn't require any sort of tweaking on my part to get it working. I did compile it myself from source rather than using a PPA or any other pre-built packages. I'm also using the default open source ATI drivers on my 522 rather than the FGLRX drivers that completely fail every time I try to get them working on 11.04.

Adrienk
April 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM
and you have an intel gma 945?

3rdalbum
April 13th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I used to run an early version of Gnome Shell on this very netbook that I'm using now. It's an Acer Aspire One. Gnome Shell is more harsh on your GPU than Windows 7, but it's definitely good enough for even RGBA semitransparency (my netbook used to use RGBA).

Funny enough, Vista Aero wasn't rated for Intel graphics.

Adrienk
April 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM
it doesnt work for me and this isnt the shell this is open suses repo so that you do a full upgrade to the gnome three not a shell

qamelian
April 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Ah, sorry. The 522 comes with an ATI 6850 HD.

searchfgold6789
April 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM
What exactly doesn't work? Have you tried any of our suggestions?
The Ubuntu Forums was placed here so that people could find support for issues related to Linux. We aren't used to having people simply posting to complain about something not working well.

Tristam Green
April 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Er,

I'm running an Intel GMA 945 in my AOD150, with Win7 Pro, and Aero effects make it burn hotter than the Mojave.

Copper Bezel
April 13th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I have and its fugly. No offense. I had to install the desk top edition because i can't do any thing when they have so much crap cluttering up my window.

Was it Unity in 10.10 or Unity in 11.04 Beta? They're as different from each other as Unity in 10.10 is from the old NBR. The current version is essentially zero-clutter; the lefthand launcher hides when the active window covers it, and maximized windows have no titlebar and have the Notification Area, window controls, and (for GTK apps) menu bar all in one line across the top.

koleoptero
April 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Er,

I'm running an Intel GMA 945 in my AOD150, with Win7 Pro, and Aero effects make it burn hotter than the Mojave.

It's a feature, use an external keyboard, and use the built-in one to keep your coffee warm.

matt-fender
April 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
It's a feature, use an external keyboard, and use the built-in one to keep your coffee warm.

:lolflag::biggrin:

wilee-nilee
April 14th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Aceraspire D250... not sure how different these may be gme or gma.
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller. Maverick is the OS.

BrianF1980
April 14th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hi There.

I wanted to add my system specs as well.

I'm currently using an Acer Aspire 5736Z-4790 with GMA 4500M.

Every distro Ive attempted to try on my machine with Gnome 3 has failed. It's really frustrating, I just dont get it.

Is starts up with normal distro bootup, but then it seems the laptop screen shuts down, but you can still hear the hard drive going, so i assume its running, just no screen

At this rate, for me, using Gnome 3 in future distro's does not look promising.

I may have to switch from gnome 2.x to KDE or Xfce just to get used to it. Im not sure were we can address this issue.

I thought I was the only one.

mips
April 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Apparently, my Acer Aspire one can do full on Aero experience in Window 7 ultimate (intel gma 945 graphics chip)...

again if you have suggestions post them. - I am looking for help on how to get the full gnome experience on a netbook.

I don't think the issue is Gnome per se but rather the current Intel driver. I could be mistaken but I think there are issues with the current Intel driver which might be rectified in the near future.

magneze
April 14th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have a GMA945, but on a Thinkpad. Works fine with GNOME3 on 11.04.

Tristam Green
April 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM

heh, when I had Ubuntu installed on there it ran so hot I replaced my toaster temporarily with my laptop.

gnomeuser
April 14th, 2011, 12:48 PM
my main machine is an Acer Aspire Revo R3610, it runs Ubuntu very favorably. In fact I have been very impressed with Acer' Aspire product line as Linux capable machines.

gnomeuser
April 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Ah so my Aspire Revo hitting 100C under normal use is really a coffee warming^cwboiling feature.. yeah it is broken but I can't afford to replace it, instead it is now underclocked which keeps it is a handy 95C under load, or below the thermal forced shutdown limit.

Copper Bezel
April 14th, 2011, 01:20 PM

I finally checked and realized that I have this card as well, on an Eee S101. Just another reason for me to say "screw Mutter" - as if I didn't have enough of them around already. = P

el_koraco
April 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM
In fact I have been very impressed with Acer' Aspire product line as Linux capable machines.

Yup, Acer's whole line is next to guaranteed to run well with Linux, although they recommend Win7 as the OS. I'm running an Emachines laptop that came with Linpus preinstalled, did not come across any significant problems, other than the Catalyst driver, but I already knew that would not go down well.

1roxtar
April 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I have and its fugly. No offense. I had to install the desk top edition because i can't do any thing when they have so much crap cluttering up my window. I switched to open suse because A) I wanted gnome 3 (which apparently you can't do on an acer aspire one and B) because its next version wasn't shipping with god aweful unity.

How ever Gnome-shell is BASIC and nothing compared to the REAL gnome 3. I wanted the REAL gnome 3 how ever that seems to be impossible.... however I can do compiz and KDE just fine.

Fugly and Cluttered???? I've been testing Gnome 3 (w/ Shell) and THAT'S fugly and cluttered, IMHO. It's looks and feels "cheap". I actually liked Gnome Shell, until it switched to look somewhat like Unity. I like Unity better. Even Unity 2D is way faster, prettier and more functional than Gnome 3 (with or without Shell).

My 2 cents.