PDA

View Full Version : KRunner Awesomeness!!

StephanG
April 13th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I've been a fan of KRunner for a long time. A short Alt + F2, and you have instant access to all your programs, settings, configurations, indexed files, and basically anything that you're not sure where to find.

And let's not forget the ability to do quick calculations or currency conversions. Hell, it can even do integration and differentiation.

But the reason for this post, is something that I only discovered recently that I thought was TOTALLY AWESOME.

In Konqueror, and now Rekonq, you could type shortcuts into the address bar to do searches. For example, "gg: cat" would search google for a cat. "ggi:" would do a google image search, "yt:" would search Youtube, "fb:" would search facebook, etc.

But, I just recently discovered that KRunner can do that as well. So, now, instead of having to:

1) - Click on Menu
2) - Click on Firefox/Chrome/etc
3) - Type in youtube.com in the address bar.
4) - Wait for youtube to load
5) - Type "random video" to search for random videos.

I just:

1) - Alt + F2
2) - Type "yt: random video"

And the best part is, it does the search in whatever you have selected as your default web browser!

Anyway, I just wanted to give a metaphorical nod towards the under-appreciated KRunner, that seems to magically know what I want, even when I don't.

And I want to finish by asking you guys: What are the "unsung hero's" on your desktop? What apps can you just not imagine living without anymore?

el_koraco
April 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM
compiz hotspots.

ilovelinux33467
April 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM
KRunner can do calculations as well just do something like

=5+4

and it will work out 5 + 4 equals

CraigPaleo
April 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
compiz hotspots.

Same for me. Also known as Screen Edges in KDE. I probably use Present Windows the most.

StephanG
April 13th, 2011, 12:17 PM
KRunner can do calculations as well just do something like

=5+4

and it will work out 5 + 4 equals

I know, that's why I said:

And let's not forget the ability to do quick calculations or currency conversions. Hell, it can even do integration and differentiation.

It can even do advanced calculations like:

=integrate(sinx,x,1,0) + 5.32*pi - sqrt(5)

and give the answer of 14.017507.

I just thought that integrating is a particularly impressive feature for something that isn't an advanced mathematical program.

ilovelinux33467
April 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I know, that's why I said

Ah, didn't read properly and didn't see that part my bad :o

StephanG
April 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
compiz hotspots.

Hey, I completely forgot about that! I should try and integrate it with my workflow more. It definitely helps productivity.

FlameReaper
April 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Now if only KRunner have bash's tab completion.

Or rather, can I already do it? I'm clueless as to how I can make that work if there's any.

undecim
April 13th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Tilda is the best terminal I have ever used.