PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can the Same Windows Open Automatically on the Desktop upon Booting the System?

mikodo
April 12th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I think this is a long shot; but it never hurts to ask! I am studying the excellent ebook "The Linux Command Line" by William Shotts, Jr.. When studying it, I like to have other windows open to utilize in the studies; especially a Terminal window; a Nano text editor window and a Nautilus window.

I shut my desktop off when I am not home; I dislike having to open and align my windows mentioned above each time to my liking.

Question: Is there a way to have my desktop, open automatically upon booting to way I like it?

See a screenshot below of the desktop.

Thanks.

MBybee
April 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Just set it under system|preferences|startup applications

Or, depending on WM, there's also often a 'save session' option.

mikodo
April 12th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Just set it under system|preferences|startup applications

Or, depending on WM, there's also often a 'save session' option.

Thanks MBybee,

I'll play with these suggestions.

:D

Blasphemist
April 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM
If you suspend instead of shut down, when you power back up and log in the session will be as you left it.

mikodo
April 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Well a little searching shows we in Ubuntu used to have features like this in earlier releases, but apparently no more.

See this page about inquiries about it, with threads:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=012285703143635244993%3Ai9yr8qlpb18&q=save+session&sa=Search&siteurl=crunchbang.org%2Fubuntu-search-engine%2F

The suspend feature works like quick-silver!

Hibernation works for this too!

Thanks Blasphemist. ;)

I guess I will mark this as solved.

mikodo
April 13th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I really am happy with the use of Suspend and Hibernation, (with my hardware), for maintaining my desktop with the windows I want on it.

With Hibernation, I can even shut off the power source at a power surge resistant power bar. When I turn it on and restart Ubuntu, the windows on the desktop as before are brought back exactly from the HDD (? Swap, I think).

:popcorn:

MBybee
April 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I really am happy with the use of Suspend and Hibernation, (with my hardware), for maintaining my desktop with the windows I want on it.

With Hibernation, I can even shut off the power source at a power surge resistant power bar. When I turn it on and restart Ubuntu, the windows on the desktop as before are brought back exactly from the HDD (? Swap, I think).

:popcorn:

Hibernation is seriously great. It's even multi-os safe. I can hibernate one image, then boot another, then return and restore the hibernated image.

Gotta love it... when it works ;)

d3v1150m471c
April 20th, 2011, 12:14 AM
if you suspend or hibernate your computer will start where you left off.