PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How to share widgets over the network?

idef1x
April 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I'm trying to share a widget on 1 pc to the other via the network with KDE. After setting the widget to share it and made it available for anyone, I get a notification on the other pc saying there's a new widget shared. When i click it, nothing happens. In Dolphin browsing on the network i see the widget as well, but clicking doesn't do anything.

Does anyone has a clue on how this stuff should work? It sounds nice to me....

idef1x
April 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
no one? :confused::cry:

idef1x
May 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
So i can conclude it doesn't work at all? Why is it there then? :-k

idef1x
June 23rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
still no one?

travlemon
September 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM
still no one?

I know this response is a bit late, sorry about that! I too am looking for a solution to this problem. I'm curious as I think this could be a really helpful and useful fefature. So far, I haven't been able to find a solution, or figure one out on my own either.

My guess is that it's a bug in Kubuntu 11.04. I'm going to download a copy of Linux Mint KDE and see if it has the problem too.

ankspo71
September 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Hi,
Maybe this forum post can help?

"Sharing Plasmoids over Network in KDE 4.4"
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=85953

They mention having "Avahi running" and "kwallet enabled"

This is only wild a guess, but maybe the ufw firewall on either kde system is blocking the widget or Avahi communications too.

Hope this helps.

idef1x
January 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
firewalls are not active on the machines. I do have avahi and kwallet enabled and I do get a bit further now and can get the widget on the desktop of the other one (one direction though), though it doesn't show the info of the remote machine (like one of the replies in the url you gave shows). Should be fixed by version 4.5, but since I am on 4.7.4.....So it's still not fully functional or I am doing something wrong or missed something...don't know..