PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Future of gnome 2.x

edgue
April 12th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hello there,

one of the things I dislike about gnome is the fact that some bugs seem to exist forever, eloquently described here fore example:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

Now, that gnome 3 is there; I am wondering: should I expect that there will much work on the 2.x side? Or will more and more bugs go "fixed with gnome3"?

Is this a realistic thought?

any feedback welcome,

3Miro
April 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Gnome 2 is dead. Unless someone picks it up and forks it (which is unlikely), everything Gnome 2 will disappear in couple of years or so (some distros will react slowly, most distros will react fast).

Almost everything in Gnome 3 is rewritten from scratch, which means the old bugs are gone and replaced by new one.

KegHead
April 12th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Wow!

I love 2.32!

I guess I might have to use my backup distro...Xununtu!

KegHead

msrinath80
April 12th, 2011, 07:16 PM
which means the old bugs are gone and replaced by new one.

Great. Let's work our way through another decade of beta testing before GNOME 3 reaches the stability of GNOME 2.x :-(

edgue
April 13th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Great. Let's work our way through another decade of beta testing before GNOME 3 reaches the stability of GNOME 2.x :-(

You only got 5 years before they will abondon everything for gnome 4 I guess ;-(

And for the point that keghead raised: can anyone say "how much" of gnome is "within xfce"? I am wondering how well xfce will do in the future when gnome 2 is really as dead as you just told us ...

3Miro
April 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM

It took KDE only 2 years to go from complete disaster of 4.0 to very stable in 4.3. Gnome 3 has been delayed so many times exactly so that it is not such a disaster on start. In a year, you will see very stable Gnome 3 and in mean time, plenty of distros will still keep the old Gnome 2 alive.

bmbaker
April 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I've been using gnome-shell 3 since January first from git and now from ppa since it was released, i find it very usable and quite stable it has a few bugs and needs some theming etc, but overall once you go through its learning curve it is quite intuitive to use and i find overall it will be intersting to see how it comes along over the next 6 months.
one thing i find very useful is synapse and as evrything in gnome is very keyboard orientated it works well with gnome shell.

Frogs Hair
April 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Gnome 2.x will go the way of 2.0 . This current build is the last unless some developer keeps it alive.

3Miro
April 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM
one thing i find very useful is synapse and as evrything in gnome is very keyboard orientated it works well with gnome shell.

Yes, it is very keyboard oriented. That is why I moved to XFCE, they really know how to use a mouse ;)

msrinath80
April 14th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Yes, it is very keyboard oriented. That is why I moved to XFCE, they really know how to use a mouse ;)

See, that's the thing. Most of these Developers are keyboard junkies. They *despise* the mouse. But that does not mean you force the rest of the world to adapt to your liking and preference, does it? Perhaps they don't even find the need for a mouse even when web browsing. Maybe they use "lynx" or something?

evgeny12
April 15th, 2011, 06:21 PM
As I read in some discussion that Gnome developers promise to continue work on Gnome 2 to polish bugs, but also they tell mostly they will concentrate on Gnome 3. So I don't really know what is going on. How long they will support Gnome 2. But I share with many users unpleasant experience about Gnome 3 --- Gnome shell and Fall-back mode as well.
Because I am fan of Avant manager+Compiz+Emerald I will switch to KDE, maybe in OpenSuse Distro. There I easily can delete all panels and put Avant Manager as my beautiful panel (in Gnome I should use some trick in gconf-editor). I am pretty sure something will happen about Gnome 3. Because Gnome 2 was much quicker than KDE, but still sometimes buggy, but right now without enough polishing it is already not so attractive as before. If there will be some fork of Gnome 2, maybe it will be worthy to switch back.

edgue
April 17th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Because Gnome 2 was much quicker than KDE,

Hmm, nothing I can second ... I cant say that gnome is much faster compared to KDE.

I tried xfce 4.8 last week, that is what i would call fast.
It worked really great for me ... but unfortunately, some part in
my combination of nvidia driver, k/x/ubuntu 10.10 mix caused
X to crash 3 times in a single day; so I am unfortunately back to KDE
for the moment ... hoping that a clean xubuntu 11.04 will behave better.

Copper Bezel
April 17th, 2011, 09:18 AM
As I read in some discussion that Gnome developers promise to continue work on Gnome 2 to polish bugs, but also they tell mostly they will concentrate on Gnome 3. So I don't really know what is going on. How long they will support Gnome 2. But I share with many users unpleasant experience about Gnome 3 --- Gnome shell and Fall-back mode as well.
Because I am fan of Avant manager+Compiz+Emerald I will switch to KDE, maybe in OpenSuse Distro. There I easily can delete all panels and put Avant Manager as my beautiful panel (in Gnome I should use some trick in gconf-editor). I am pretty sure something will happen about Gnome 3. Because Gnome 2 was much quicker than KDE, but still sometimes buggy, but right now without enough polishing it is already not so attractive as before. If there will be some fork of Gnome 2, maybe it will be worthy to switch back.

I'm bringing this up in far too many threads, but I'm really impressed with CompizStandalone as a base for Compiz+AWN+Emerald. I've had to make a lot of little edits because there's so little documentation, but I've been very pleased with the results.

But you don't need the Gnome Classic desktop to use AWN; I don't see why you'd need to switch from Ubuntu for that.

Ken Wood
July 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I want Gnome 2 back goddammit, why won't anybody listen to me - Ken.