PDA

View Full Version : this is just info for all you people that live in the world outside

rbrick49
April 12th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I live in Thailand I am an Aussie I had a hard disk go sad on me a couple of days ago I posted a thread which I got replies from on hereToday I took it to a computer shop not far from where I live they didnt know what linux was or ubuntu even and ubuntu is printed in the thai laguage if you so desire. these computer shops still run windows xp. vista and 7 are options if you so desire they couldnt even check my disk on seatools until I showed them how I CANT BELIEVE my wifes son wants me to send him to university to be a computer tech when they are that far behind I just couldnt believe what they said to me its not windows

rbishop
April 12th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Got to love those "tech people". This is why I have stopped going to shops like that.

I say send him to University and make sure he goes in with some basic knowledge of linux....doesn't have to be Ubuntu, but at least some basics.

rbrick49
April 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Got to love those "tech people". This is why I have stopped going to shops like that.

I say send him to University and make sure he goes in with some basic knowledge of linux....doesn't have to be Ubuntu, but at least some basics. I can tell you it wouldnt work because he doesnt even want to know about linux i have stopped him from using my computer, I gave him a laptop i had it had vista on it he put it back to xp because he didnt understand vista he told me he didnt cochi. I spoke to a Thai man today who has an office he runs linux his staff hate linux he told me because they cant play games on it,i said to him do they come to work or play games

dino99
April 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I live in Thailand I am an Aussie I had a hard disk go sad on me a couple of days ago I posted a thread which I got replies from on hereToday I took it to a computer shop not far from where I live they didnt know what linux was or ubuntu even and ubuntu is printed in the thai laguage if you so desire. these computer shops still run windows xp. vista and 7 are options if you so desire they couldnt even check my disk on seatools until I showed them how I CANT BELIEVE my wifes son wants me to send him to university to be a computer tech when they are that far behind I just couldnt believe what they said to me its not windows

Have you seen this Russian guy buying a 500 Go hdd into a chinese border shop for few kopeks, and whats was his surprise when using it: he cant write more than 125 Mo. Opening this hdd he find inside: a usb stick and 2 big screws to make this box similar normal weight :(

SeijiSensei
April 12th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I've wondered whether the widespread piracy of Windows in many developing countries puts an enormous damper on the spread of Linux. I don't know how common pirated Windows might be in Thailand, but if the cost advantage to Linux is zero, then the "it's too different from Windows" objection will carry a lot more weight.

Most people don't consider security an important feature of computer systems, especially if it makes it harder for them to do whatever they want with the computer. So arguments about how Linux is more secure than Windows usually fall on deaf ears. Piracy makes reinstallation of Windows easier, too, since there will be an installation disk lying around, and it won't be checking in with Redmond to report its registration code. It's actually harder to reinstall legitimate Windows since most OEM pre-installed systems no longer come with an optical disc, and using another disc to install with your original OEM registration code may not work either.

johnnybgoode83
April 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have stopped using any kind of technical support services because when I mention I am using a Linux based OS they haven't a clue what I am talking about and do not want to help me.
I am probably being unreasonable but I think that if a person is going to work in tech support they should at least have a basic understanding of Linux.

uRock
April 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I have stopped using any kind of technical support services because when I mention I am using a Linux based OS they haven't a clue what I am talking about and do not want to help me.
I am probably being unreasonable but I think that if a person is going to work in tech support they should at least have a basic understanding of Linux.

Most of them only know what their company requires of them. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the tech support people working the phone lines come from backgrounds in telemarketing, instead of being trained IT folks.

Moved to Cafe as this is not a support question, nor does it have anything to do with the testing of Natty Narwhal.

cap10Ibraim
April 12th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I've wondered whether the widespread piracy of Windows in many developing countries puts an enormous damper on the spread of Linux.
Yes it does , where I live in Lebanon a well cracked activated windows 7 Ultimate cost 3$ office 2010 also 3$
all dvds have the same price , you can find Ubuntu collection on a dvd also for 3$ and the internet is slow
so it's easeir to buy a dvd
and some argue that Microsoft doesn't have a problem with that because there is no chance for us to pay more that 100 $ to install a computer software

BertN45
April 12th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I am Dutch and live in the Dominican Republic. It is like with sport shoes, you have to buy Nikies and you have to "use" Windows 7. It is status related. It is better to have a cracked version of an expensive OS than a free Linux OS. Quality is irrelevant, they re-install their OS every 2-3 month because it is completely unworkable due to viruses and malware, they have collected.

Windows is for free in these countries and Microsoft leaves it like that, because most people here can't pay for Windows anyhow and the illegal copies help in the automatic counts of the market share. I expect that outside Europe, Australia and North America, 90% of all home computers are using illegal copies of Windows Software.

If I say I use Ubuntu, they look amazed and ask themselves: Why should a rich gringo not use the latest Ultimate Version of Windows?

Artemis3
April 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Correct, it is like that in most of the world. The same can be said about other types of media, music, movies, books, etc. You have to be very careful of "purchasing" a license or a pretty box as that can be fake too. Your card here is security and reliability; most ppl don't know better, they think malware and windows are the only way.

You shouldn't use the services of others unless they know the OS you use. LUGs and installfests can be useful for that. Otherwise have a spare disk and put it in the machine before sending it (for hardware issues). Let them install whatever, when you get your machine back, swap the disks and carry on.

3Miro
April 12th, 2011, 09:21 PM
"Piracy communities" in eastern Europe are a lot like the Linux communities in the west. Many people don't even know that you are supposed to pay for Windows and those that do, don't care. Communities crack their own copies of windows along with the security updates and everything else. Then they run "repository" with other software, which is just as clean and tested as the Ubuntu repos.

MS is not doing anything about this, because if they do, then all of those people would switch to Linux instantly. Ultimately, most of those people are running Windows in the first place because of the Games. That's why I hold to the position that the Games are MS last stronghold, if that were to fall (or at least significantly shift towards Linux), MS is done for.

el_koraco
April 12th, 2011, 11:19 PM
"Piracy communities" in eastern Europe are a lot like the Linux communities in the west.

Not exactly, but there is something to it. The argument you're likely to hear in eastern Europe when it comes to Linux vs Windows is "Well, yeah, it's nice, but i get Windows for free, and everything works". The "everything works" mantra is somewhat tricky, because the pirated editions have almost no hardware support. The first thing you get when you open the Device manager is no ethernet, VGA, wireless drivers, there's just no getting around that. Sound? It works if you're lucky. I always find it funny to see squabbles in the US/western Europe forums about the OS "just working" and Linux being more difficult to install than Windows.

Believe you me, the average Windows user in the "developing" world has to jump through so many hoops to get the OS to work, it doesn't even come close to the Linux experience. People often end up installing four year old drivers for new machines, simply because there's no official hardware support either from the OEM's, or from the device manufacturers. BSOD becomes a house trained pet.

Of course, that's just the beginning. Once you've put up XP pirated edition, there's the other plethora of goodies. A patched Office 2003 is the favorite. Language support? English. Hours of googling gets you an outdated dictionary, so you're good to go. Games? lol, before the torrents hit broadband you could make a decent living selling cracked versions of any game on the market. Now that particular activity is a thing of the past. For Christ sake, people were putting up Windows 7 on the day of release.

The punchline is that many "power users" actually keep their systems "safe" with subscriptions to AV products.

I've wondered whether the widespread piracy of Windows in many developing countries puts an enormous damper on the spread of Linux. I don't know how common pirated Windows might be in Thailand, but if the cost advantage to Linux is zero, then the "it's too different from Windows" objection will carry a lot more weight.

Most people don't consider security an important feature of computer systems, especially if it makes it harder for them to do whatever they want with the computer. So arguments about how Linux is more secure than Windows usually fall on deaf ears. Piracy makes reinstallation of Windows easier, too, since there will be an installation disk lying around, and it won't be checking in with Redmond to report its registration code. It's actually harder to reinstall legitimate Windows since most OEM pre-installed systems no longer come with an optical disc, and using another disc to install with your original OEM registration code may not work either.

Microsoft not only doesn't care, but silently endorses such policy. Gates even admitted it in an interview years back. Why else would you be able to run a pirated edition with regular system updates from the Microsoft servers, when the only "hack" done on the system is stopping the autentification key from launching? Surely that's not something that can't be worked out?

That's not even going into the "official" preinstalled versions, that incidentally come only with machines above a certain price range (when it's below 500 - 600 dollars, it's Free dos, no OS, or Acer's Linpus. Below the price range it's just not economically viable to combat the piracy industry. Hell, it's not even an industry, most everybody knows at least someone with a spare pirated copy. If not that, Hit The F8cking Torrents). The installed versions prominently display DLL errors upon first bootup, that are impossible to fix. You only get an Windows install CD if the laptop costs more than, say, a thousand bucks.

Meanwhile, the state is "dedicated" to combating piracy, but all the while it's a most ordinary occurrence to have a large state institution run a suite of pirated Windows machine, and a pirated Windows server. The sysadmin is usually on family terms with the director, so the ball keeps rolling...

It's a joke, really, Microsoft is so far up ahead simply because it knows how to play all the dirty little tricks.

el_koraco
April 12th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Oh, and yeah, as for

Ultimately, most of those people are running Windows in the first place because of the Games.

No, they're not, they're running it simply because it's the only system they've ever known. They've never had to pay for the OS or any of the applications, so they don't care about the "free as in freedom" aspect of open source.

BertN45
April 13th, 2011, 01:35 AM
No they run it because it is cool a hacked windows 7. Go for the real brand, be the man, be a hacker. Free is cheap and not cool. The main competitor of Linux is not Windows, but the hacked free versions of windows..

Many of those systems are provided by the mafia or mafia related hackers and after installation the system becomes instantly a part of a bot-net. Such bot-nets can be sold for good money to the other criminals, who use it for identity theft, scams, attacks on your bank account and all kind of other criminal activities. In the Netherlands somebody has been arrested that made thousands of euros by selling bot-nets to Russia or the Ukrane.

I once looked at an XP crack from Columbia and I found that:
- the user was logged in automatically with the default administrator account.
- the firewall and the windows security center had been removed;
- the virus software did not load new version of the virus db;
- and an unknown service was started automatically, probably saying here I am, another stupid providing a bot for your net and a buck for your wallet.
but the desktop looked very cool.

Hey I just had a weird idea, maybe the best way of promoting Linux is warning the world about the danger of hacked Windows distributions. Help Bill Gates and fight illegal copies of Windows :)

youbuntu
April 13th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I am Dutch and live in the Dominican Republic. It is like with sport shoes, you have to buy Nikies and you have to "use" Windows 7. It is status related. It is better to have a cracked version of an expensive OS than a free Linux OS. Quality is irrelevant, they re-install their OS every 2-3 month because it is completely unworkable due to viruses and malware, they have collected.

Windows is for free in these countries and Microsoft leaves it like that, because most people here can't pay for Windows anyhow and the illegal copies help in the automatic counts of the market share. I expect that outside Europe, Australia and North America, 90% of all home computers are using illegal copies of Windows Software.

If I say I use Ubuntu, they look amazed and ask themselves: Why should a rich gringo not use the latest Ultimate Version of Windows?

:lol:

Status... meh; let them think they're better, eh ;)

If they were THAT cool, they'd stop contradicting themselves, and go out and BUY a Windows licence, hey!