PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [really basic] so i've got this annoying icon on my desktop space ;)

RememberWhenItRained
April 12th, 2011, 04:37 AM
...which happens to be the OS (or at least, so it's labeled.) I tried moving it to the trash, but it said it could not be trashed, only immediately deleted. That and the icon made me wonder if this was not simply a shortcut to the filepath. (A shortcut would look like an open file folder with an arrow, no?)

So, how do i get this pesky thing of my desktop space without deleting the whole folder?
(sorry, yes very basic)

wolfen69
April 12th, 2011, 05:10 AM
(A shortcut would look like an open file folder with an arrow, no?)

Correct.

Open a terminal and do

gksu nautilus
then you can navigate to the file in question and delete it.

RememberWhenItRained
April 12th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Correct.

Open a terminal and do

gksu nautilusthen you can navigate to the file in question and delete it.
ooh, nautilus is cool, but it's not showing anything on desktop. could that be because I'm in root > desktop? But nautilus uses Root by default since it needs administrative privileges right?

Here, screencap:

K_45
April 12th, 2011, 06:24 AM
That OS is a mounted drive. Do you have multiple internal hard drivers or external devices plugged in?

RememberWhenItRained
April 12th, 2011, 06:30 AM
That OS is a mounted drive. Do you have multiple internal hard drivers or external devices plugged in?
nope, just one HD with no external devices plugged in.

K_45
April 12th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Hmm, click on the drive entry in Nautilus. What do you see?

RememberWhenItRained
April 12th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Hmm, click on the drive entry in Nautilus. What do you see?
looks like my windows stuff (im dual booting)

K_45
April 12th, 2011, 06:44 AM
looks like my windows stuff (im dual booting)

That explains it. Ubuntu is automounting your Windows partition.

RememberWhenItRained
April 12th, 2011, 06:49 AM
That explains it. Ubuntu is automounting your Windows partition.
can i get the icon off the desktop without screwing it up?
and while i get what your saying well enough, what exactly is mounting?
ETA: strange. it's gone. (for now?)

el_koraco
April 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Nautilus is showing the mounted windows system on the desktop. You can either unmount it manually by right clicking it and selecting "unmount", or you can fire up ALT-F2, typing gconf-editor, then going to 'apps - nautilus - desktop', and unticking the last entry (volumes visible).

deathadder
April 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
If you unmount it, it'll still be displayed on the desktop but mount the device again when you double click on it.

Unfortinuately it seems that the only way to stop it is to fireup gconf-editor unlike in XFCE:tongue: