PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Software Center Won't Shut Down Properly

coljohnhannibalsmith
April 12th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Hello,

I'm runnning the Desktop x64 version of Maverick on my Laptop, and every time I use "Ubuntu Software Center" I have to 'kill' it with either the command line or System Monitor.

Can anyone tell me if there's a fix for this?

Thanks, Hannibal

mörgæs
April 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM
The best 'fix' I know of is to stick to Synaptic or the command line.

Basically I find Software Centre too buggy to use, and I am afraid it is scaring away new users.

coljohnhannibalsmith
April 14th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the reply,

Software-Center 'is' very buggy; but it's come a long way since Hardy-Heron.

Software-Center, Synaptic Package Manager, and APT, are all now 'somewhat' integrated. They never used to be... Now, when I add an application through Synaptic or APT, it will often show-up in Software-Center as well. This is a good-thing. These needed to be integrated... They just need to be integrated more.

Unfortunately the heuristics used to keep track of application dependencies is very simple, and 'not' well integrated between the three package-mangement systems mentioned above. Also, there's almost no feedback from the system, when application dependencies are not met. There needs to be descriptive and informative feedback from the system in this event, so that the user can make an informed decision to either keep his present configuration, and abandon the installation, or to remove the offending package and proceed with the installation. This 'feedback' needs to be provided with consistency and uniformity in APT, Synaptic, and Software-Center.

The other problem I have with Ubuntu is disaster-recovery. This is almost non-existent. Follow the link below, for my thoughts on this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10673986#post10673986

In the meantime, if they can just get SC to shut-down correcty, I'll be happy...

Hannibal

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 6th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Just downgraded to Natty,

Software Center still doesn't shut down properly...

Come-on folks... It's just a couple lines of code...

coljohnhannibalsmith
May 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Well,

I just upgraded to the latest version of Software Center (thanks for all the effort); but it 'still' won't shut down properly...

Nutzzzzzzzzzzzzz