PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Suggest me a PSU

amrit_b
April 12th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Hi friends, I am facing a annoying screen flickering problem after I added a new 500GB HDD and 2GB corsair DDR3.. Everybody is telling me its the problem of PSU. So please suggest me a PSU.

Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit)
RAM: 2GB DDR3 (Kingstone-2GB)
Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz black edition
mobo: ASUS - M4A785T-M
cooler master 400W PSU (came with the CM Elite cabinet)
500GB segate HDD
(I don't have GPU)
UPS: APC 650

Added later: 2GB corsair DDR3 AND segate 500GB HDD

You can see here how the screen flickering is occurring:
screen flicker 1 on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/22231224)
screen flicker 2 on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/22231452)

thanks

Temüjin
April 12th, 2011, 04:33 AM
DDR3 and a hard disk don't draw much power. Run memtest to make sure your RAM is all good.

amrit_b
April 12th, 2011, 04:43 AM
DDR3 and a hard disk don't draw much power. Run memtest to make sure your RAM is all good.
I did memtest, and didn't find any error..

When I have :
Two HDDs and both the RAMs, the flickering is extremely high (as in the above mentioned videos).
Two HDDs and only kingstone, the flickering is almost nil.
One HDD and both the RAMs, the flickering is almost nil.

I have tried almost all the RAM slot combinations.
I have also checked the monitor by connecting with my laptop, its not having any problem..

What next?

Thanks

Temüjin
April 12th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I like SPCR's recommendations: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

amrit_b
April 12th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I like SPCR's recommendations: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs
okay thanks for the link.

I think I will stick with corsair VX450 watt. Its in by budget also..

So after seeing all my test conditions and the video, you also suggesting me to upgrade my PSU?

thanks

amrit_b
April 16th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Hi!

Any suggestion on this matter? Everybody suggested my to upgrade my PSU. And I did! I bought a new corsair VX450. The flickering has decreased a lot! but it has not vanished :(

any suggestions?

thanks

Caboose885
April 16th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I know you said you don't have a GPU but you must in order to have video. I would guess that it might be a video card issue...If you remove the new hardware you should be able to get rid of the issue. If not then there is some other problem. I think it still might be to small...If there is a computer store close by I would go down there and buy a PS just for testing. Buy like a 600 W (plenty of power) and hook it up. If the issue does go away then you know you need even bigger. After you do the testing you can always take the PS back :P

I have a 600 W on my computer which is overkill but it was on sale when I got it.. :) (my PS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017))

EDIT: Since this mobo is similar to mine I'm gonna guess its ATI Video since its AMD board. I also just watched the video and saw that you mentioned it happens in W7 as well...

~Caboose

amrit_b
April 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I know you said you don't have a GPU but you must in order to have video. I would guess that it might be a video card issue...If you remove the new hardware you should be able to get rid of the issue. If not then there is some other problem. I think it still might be to small...If there is a computer store close by I would go down there and buy a PS just for testing. Buy like a 600 W (plenty of power) and hook it up. If the issue does go away then you know you need even bigger. After you do the testing you can always take the PS back :P

I have a 600 W on my computer which is overkill but it was on sale when I got it.. :) (my PS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017))

EDIT: Since this mobo is similar to mine I'm gonna guess its ATI Video since its AMD board. I also just watched the video and saw that you mentioned it happens in W7 as well...

~Caboose
Hey thanks for the reply.

Still you think its a power problem? I have a corsair VX450 watt PSU with 80+ certified efficiency.. What is consuming so much power? I have frnds who are using the same PSU with higher PC configuration and with graphics cards... I don't even have a dedicated GPU.. other than the on-board which is present on the mobo by default...

NOTE: The flickering problem has decreased drastically after I upgraded my PSU.

Is it a problem of the RAM? Or is it because of over-heating of the CPU..? Should I change the heat-sink-paste or upgrade the CPU cooler??

There is no shop near my house and no one will give me a high wattage PSU just for testing. I fact, I bought this brand new corsair VX450 2 days back.. And yes its definitely a hardware problem since its happening in windows too..

Should I bring a different monitor and check for few days?

This problem is making me crazy :(

No Idea on what to do.....

Temüjin
April 16th, 2011, 11:32 AM
It could be your onboard video overheating. That happened to me with an MSI 690G board. The north bridge/video heatsink came with shoddy thermal paste and was loose. Unfortunately, by the time I realized this, it was too late.

I also had flickering when a 780G board went bad. That was my last mobo with onboard video..

Caboose885
April 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Like Temüjin said it could be overheating. If it turns out that the video card is bad then if its under warranty still it should be replace for free. If its not you can buy a fairly inexpensive graphics card with a decent amount of power.

Do you have anything overclocked?

amrit_b
April 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Like Temüjin said it could be overheating. If it turns out that the video card is bad then if its under warranty still it should be replace for free. If its not you can buy a fairly inexpensive graphics card with a decent amount of power.

Do you have anything overclocked?

No I don't have anything overclocked..

Suddenly I remembered that 1 month back I was cleaning the internals of the CPU and open the heat sink of the processor and re-connected it without any heat-sink-paste. Today I opened it once again to check, and it was completely dried... :(

So I applied heat sink properly 2 hours back and since then its running properly :-) without any flickering.. Will update this thread if I get any more flickering :)

Thanks a lot folks...

Zanthir
April 16th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. It's not your power supply. You only need less than 300 watts. I know because I have a similar system running on a 300 watt PSU built into a slim case. Specs:

Base (34W)
High End Desktop Motherboard w/1 CPU (71W)
Phenom II X2 (65W)
4x1GB DDR3 (13W)
Radeon HD 4550 (Integrated) (17W)
1TB WD Caviar Green SDD (6W)
DVD/CDRW Drive (29W)
120mm Fan (4W)
98mm Fan w/LED calc. as a 92mm LED fan (5W)
Total 244W (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine)
That's at 90% load, but 100% only puts me at 265W, so I've still got room to power a bunch of USB devices, etc. And that's the recommended. The minimum listed is 194W at 90% load. So, yeah, at 450W with a pretty similar system, I'd say you have plenty of power.

Incidentally I had CPU cooling problems with my machine too. Initially my CPU fan was too big for my case, but would still fit, the fan would just jam and not spin (didn't come with a stock sync/fan). The new smaller one fit after some special modifications (had to remove some plastic on a nearby PATA cord coming from the DVD drive for that extra 3.5mm). Fits perfectly now.

Glad you solved your problem. Hope this helps someone somewhere.

Temüjin
April 16th, 2011, 06:48 PM
The chance that your 300W PSU can actually put out 300W DC is, well, 0. Also, there is amperage to consider. I see a lot of people going way overkill on PSU specs, but you have to leave yourself a little room.

Caboose885
April 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM
The chance that your 300W PSU can actually put out 300W DC is, well, 0. Also, there is amperage to consider. I see a lot of people going way overkill on PSU specs, but you have to leave yourself a little room.

+1 Its always good to go a little higher than what you really need. The higher load on a PSU will cause it to burn out faster

GTMoraes
April 17th, 2011, 06:18 AM
No I don't have anything overclocked..

Suddenly I remembered that 1 month back I was cleaning the internals of the CPU and open the heat sink of the processor and re-connected it without any heat-sink-paste. Today I opened it once again to check, and it was completely dried... :(

So I applied heat sink properly 2 hours back and since then its running properly :-) without any flickering.. Will update this thread if I get any more flickering :)

Thanks a lot folks...

lol that was pretty straightforward. Good to hear you've fixed it, but what about your PSU? Have you swapped a good, serviceable PSU for a equivalent one ?

Media Center PC: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 | 2GB DDR2 800 | ATi Radeon HD3200 | 320GB HDD SATA II | Realtek ALC889A | Sony Bravia 46" 120Hz | Ubuntu Maverick
Netbook: Acer Aspire 1410-2287 ~ Intel Celeron ULV 723 1.2GHz | 2GB DDR2 800 | 250GB HDD | Intel 4500mHD | 11,3" HD LED | 6:30hrs Battery | Ubuntu Natty
|Microsoft WMM 4000|
http://i53.tinypic.com/2d6se9l.png
Ubuntu Powered.

amrit_b
April 18th, 2011, 02:55 AM
lol that was pretty straightforward. Good to hear you've fixed it, but what about your PSU? Have you swapped a good, serviceable PSU for a equivalent one ?

Media Center PC: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 | 2GB DDR2 800 | ATi Radeon HD3200 | 320GB HDD SATA II | Realtek ALC889A | Sony Bravia 46" 120Hz | Ubuntu Maverick
Netbook: Acer Aspire 1410-2287 ~ Intel Celeron ULV 723 1.2GHz | 2GB DDR2 800 | 250GB HDD | Intel 4500mHD | 11,3" HD LED | 6:30hrs Battery | Ubuntu Natty
|Microsoft WMM 4000|
http://i53.tinypic.com/2d6se9l.png
Ubuntu Powered.

Hi!

its more than 36hrs after I applied the heat sink.. Still no flickering !!! :)

I had the Cooler-Master 400watt PSU which came by default with cooler-master Elite cabinet. I returned that to the same shop and bought a new Corsair VX450 for $60 (USD)..

Thanks

wolfen69
April 18th, 2011, 06:10 AM
430 watt psu's are pretty cheap at this point, and will power most computers nicely. Just get a well known brand and check reviews. Don't skimp on quality. If your psu goes out, everything goes out.