PDA

View Full Version : Arch Linux vs Windows 7

Jakerules
April 12th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Hey guys,
Every once in a while, I'll look at a Linux distro and get urges to install it. In the past, I've used Ubuntu (both gnome and kde) quite a bit so I think I could handle using Arch Linux from what I've seen. Actually, I've even virtualboxed it and had no problem!

However, I wanted my desktop to remain windows (basically for gaming). But right now I'm on a laptop I use for just about anything. The problem is that while it is my laptop, my girlfriend uses this quite a bit as well. I'm getting super urges to install Arch Linux, but I want to justify that urge to her! A lot of the reason is because I completely optimize and "pimp out" any OS I have, so this Windows is actually super nice looking and quite fast (as fast as windows can get I guess.)

I'm basically wondering what some of you power users think about Arch Linux vs Windows 7 directly. Is there any sort of speed test out there, and what is the compatibility of certain laptop devices that come with it (such as a biometric fingerprint scanner)? Not to mention, is there any real alternative for microsoft office? I use word and excel quite a bit for school. I love amarok, so I don't mind leaving my mediamonky. And is digsby for Linux as well? I forget... I just don't like pidgin really. Oh, and is there a real alternative to photoshop? I've also heard that wine is a lot better than it was when I used it before!

I was thinking of trying gentoo, but I don't think I'm ready to install that yet. :lolflag:

Also, I was thinking of trying out the xfce4 as my gui. Reasons just being that it seems like the fastest gui for arch linux right now.

Sorry if I'm going off on some sort of tangent, but what do you guys think about all of this? Should I give into my cravings, install arch linux, and get myself the xfce gui? I sort of just want this laptop to boot and go as fast as it can, really (without gentoo, since my powerlevel is not high enough.)

I don't even know what the mint or slackware distros are, or what the advantages of let's say debian are. So if you guys can give any advice regarding other distros, I definitely have my eyes open!

unknownPoster
April 12th, 2011, 03:46 AM
if you're looking for speed, I'd look into dwm or another tiling wm without a manager such as kdm or gdm.

mips
April 12th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Image the current windows partition for backup purposes and then install arch. You can always run win 7 inside a VM.